New error in SLRN

1 view

RonB

Mar 14, 2023, 11:24:54 AM3/14/23
I don't know what this error means. Just showed up today. I use
news.eternal-september.org.

OVERVIEW.FMT not RFC 2980 compliant -- XOVER support disabled.

Is it something to do with slrn or an issue with the news server? I use slrn
1.0.3.

Thanks for any pointers.

--
"Evil preaches tolerance until it is dominant, then it tries to silence good."
-- Archbishop Charles J. Chaput

RonB

Mar 14, 2023, 11:28:02 AM3/14/23
On 2023-03-14, RonB <ronb02...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know what this error means. Just showed up today. I use
> news.eternal-september.org.
>
> OVERVIEW.FMT not RFC 2980 compliant -- XOVER support disabled.
>
> Is it something to do with slrn or an issue with the news server? I use slrn
> 1.0.3.
>
> Thanks for any pointers.

Should add, JOE 4.6 is my editor.

Tom Furie

Mar 14, 2023, 11:46:56 AM3/14/23
On 2023-03-14, RonB <ronb02...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know what this error means. Just showed up today. I use
> news.eternal-september.org.
>
> OVERVIEW.FMT not RFC 2980 compliant -- XOVER support disabled.
>
> Is it something to do with slrn or an issue with the news server? I use slrn
> 1.0.3.

Looks like the overview database on the server got corrupted.

Cheers,
Tom

RonB

Mar 14, 2023, 11:53:41 AM3/14/23
That was quick. Thanks. My score file was really big. I just cut out a lot
of it and now (at least) opening groups is a lot faster.

So, I guess, eternal-september will figure this out.

Marco Moock

Mar 14, 2023, 3:33:03 PM3/14/23
Am 14.03.2023 um 15:24:51 Uhr schrieb RonB:

> I don't know what this error means. Just showed up today. I use
> news.eternal-september.org.

See <m21qlue...@raybanana.net> in eternal-september.support.

Ray Banana

Mar 14, 2023, 4:23:42 PM3/14/23
* RonB wrote:
> I don't know what this error means. Just showed up today. I use
> news.eternal-september.org.
>
> OVERVIEW.FMT not RFC 2980 compliant -- XOVER support disabled.
>
> Is it something to do with slrn or an issue with the news server? I use slrn
> 1.0.3.

This is slrn failing to parse the new OVERVIEW.FMT in INN 2.8.
See Julièn's post from last July in <tc6fmu$2q025$1...@news.trigofacile.com>.

I must admit that slrn without XOVER is painfully slow and so I'm reverting
to the previous version of INN for now.

From a practical point of view, I wonder what the benefit of the new format is,
especially as the articles contain the Bytes: and Lines: headers in the traditional
format.

--
Пу́тін — хуйло́
http://www.eternal-september.org

RonB

Mar 14, 2023, 8:56:34 PM3/14/23
On 2023-03-14, RonB <ronb02...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2023-03-14, Tom Furie <t...@furie.org.uk> wrote:
>> On 2023-03-14, RonB <ronb02...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I don't know what this error means. Just showed up today. I use
>>> news.eternal-september.org.
>>>
>>> OVERVIEW.FMT not RFC 2980 compliant -- XOVER support disabled.
>>>
>>> Is it something to do with slrn or an issue with the news server? I use slrn
>>> 1.0.3.
>>
>> Looks like the overview database on the server got corrupted.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Tom
>
> That was quick. Thanks. My score file was really big. I just cut out a lot
> of it and now (at least) opening groups is a lot faster.
>
> So, I guess, eternal-september will figure this out.

Looks like they've already got it fixed.