using NovaBBS, Can i subscribe to a Thread (as in GG) ?

HenHanna

Feb 20, 2024, 1:50:43 PMFeb 20
NovaBBS is supposed to be like GG ...

Can i cross-post ???

Can i subscribe to a Thread?

>>> The message was successfully posted.
>>> You have 11 posts remaining of 12 posts per hour.

---------- the [12 posts per hour] limit seems quite reasonable.

IS there another one, that's better than NovaBBS ?

Retro Guy

Feb 20, 2024, 2:10:44 PMFeb 20
HenHanna wrote:

> NovaBBS is supposed to be like GG ...

No, it is not meant to be like GG. There is no attempt to clone GG. It is meant to provide some Usenet newsgroups in somewhat of a web forum format.

> Can i cross-post ???

No. If you start a new thread, it will appear in only the group you started it.

If you reply to an article with multiple groups in the Newsgroups header, it will be sent to all the groups (assuming the upstream news server carries those groups), or the 'Followup-To' group.

> Can i subscribe to a Thread?

You can 'subscribe' to a group, which simply moves it to the top of the list and gives you a link 'New' to see articles since your last visit to the group, but there is no feature to subscribe to a thread.

> ---------- the [12 posts per hour] limit seems quite reasonable.

Great! I was hoping 12 was a good default.

> IS there another one, that's better than NovaBBS ?

Probably. but it depends on your definition of 'better'.

--
Retro Guy

VanguardLH

Feb 20, 2024, 9:03:18 PMFeb 20
Retro Guy <retr...@novabbs.com> wrote:

> HenHanna wrote:
>
>> the [12 posts per hour] limit seems quite reasonable.
>
> Great! I was hoping 12 was a good default.

Depends on how many newsgroups where you participate. I lurk in some,
and participate in several. At one time, I was subscribing to 52
newsgroups. Wouldn't take long to hit a 12 count max at the server. I
couldn't even submit to half the newsgroups.

Since cross-posting is not allowed at NovaBBS, maybe the quota should be
12 posts per hour per newsgroup.

VanguardLH

Feb 20, 2024, 9:04:35 PMFeb 20
Oops, I just remembered NovaBBS does not carry all newsgroups, just a
small subset of them. If I mapped the newsgroups to which I subscribe
in my NNTP client to those available at NovaBBS, the count of newsgroups
where I'd participate at NovaBBS would be a lot smaller.