(X)Emacs' Gnus - Good Newsreader?

IPavlov

Jan 29, 2006, 1:41:23 PM1/29/06
I'm experience emacs user and was wondering if I should
use Gnus for reading the news. It looks to me quite
advanced and capable, but a little too have compared to
slrn. Does anybody on this group uses Gnus for serious
news-reading?

IP.

SINNER

Jan 29, 2006, 3:39:15 PM1/29/06
* IPavlov wrote in news.software.readers:

Many do. Why not just give a shot and see if you like it. I am sure it
can do most if not all slrn can do ;)

--
David
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

Whiskers

Jan 29, 2006, 3:55:14 PM1/29/06
On 2006-01-29, SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote:
> * IPavlov wrote in news.software.readers:
>> I'm experience emacs user and was wondering if I should
>> use Gnus for reading the news. It looks to me quite
>> advanced and capable, but a little too have compared to
>> slrn. Does anybody on this group uses Gnus for serious
>> news-reading?
>
> Many do. Why not just give a shot and see if you like it. I am sure it
> can do most if not all slrn can do ;)

Careful, or the slrn mafia will be looking for a wildebeest head to
decorate your sleeping area ;))

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Karl Kleinpaste

Jan 29, 2006, 5:52:47 PM1/29/06

Yes. I've been using it since 2.10 or so, back in 1988.

The current version is Gnus 5.10 and is very, very capable. I'm
running the development version beyond 5.10, under XEmacs.

The fact that you're already Emacs-experienced will reduce the
learning curve complexity a great deal.

IPavlov

Jan 29, 2006, 8:44:35 PM1/29/06
On 2006-01-29, Whiskers <catwh...@operamail.com> wrote:
> On 2006-01-29, SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote:
>> * IPavlov wrote in news.software.readers:
>>> I'm experience emacs user and was wondering if I should
>>> use Gnus for reading the news. It looks to me quite
>>> advanced and capable, but a little too have compared to
>>> slrn. Does anybody on this group uses Gnus for serious
>>> news-reading?
>>
>> Many do. Why not just give a shot and see if you like it. I am sure it
>> can do most if not all slrn can do ;)
I was especially impressed with its handling of international
fonts when xemacs has Mule support. Had some trouble trying to
make slrn read cyrillic - I understand of course that this is not
slrn problem, but rather configuring xterm/konsole under Linux to
use correct fonts, but with Gnus/XEmacs hand this worked without
any configuration.

> Careful, or the slrn mafia will be looking for a wildebeest head to
> decorate your sleeping area ;))

I know - this group is quite partial to slrn. I use it myself too
and like it a lot. What prompted me to try the wildebeest is the
need for seamless support of international groups.

IP.

IPavlov

Jan 29, 2006, 9:12:05 PM1/29/06
On 2006-01-29, Karl Kleinpaste <ka...@charcoal.com> wrote:
> IPavlov <pav...@cox.net> writes:
>> I'm experience emacs user and was wondering if I should use Gnus for
>> reading the news. It looks to me quite advanced and capable, but a
>> little too have compared to slrn. Does anybody on this group uses
>> Gnus for serious news-reading?
>
> Yes. I've been using it since 2.10 or so, back in 1988.
I used it back a few years ago and was pleasantly surprised
how much it improved when I came back to it lately.

> The current version is Gnus 5.10 and is very, very capable. I'm
> running the development version beyond 5.10, under XEmacs.
I'm running Gnus v5.10.7 which came with XEmacs packages

Blinky the Shark

Jan 29, 2006, 10:24:34 PM1/29/06
On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 20:39:15 +0000, SINNER wrote:

> * IPavlov wrote in news.software.readers:
>> I'm experience emacs user and was wondering if I should use Gnus for
>> reading the news. It looks to me quite advanced and capable, but a
>> little too have compared to slrn. Does anybody on this group uses Gnus
>> for serious news-reading?
>
> Many do. Why not just give a shot and see if you like it. I am sure it can
> do most if not all slrn can do ;)

<slrn mafia calls for a hit on SINNER>

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Neil Woods

Jan 30, 2006, 1:02:14 AM1/30/06

Gnus is by far the most powerful news reader I am aware of. I've been
using it for about 18 months, give or take. I used slrn before that for
maybe 3-4 years (and a few others as well). I now use Gnus exclusively
for both news and mail.

Yes, I unreservedly recommend Gnus, and the fact you are experienced
with Emacs will count for a lot (to make full use of it's extensibility
some knowledge of elisp is a definite advantage).

In another post you mentioned XEmacs and international support. I use
GNU Emacs (the latest CVS version - which is very stable), and the
international language support is very good (though since I'm only an
English speaker, I cannot test this out fully WRT different input
methods, etc). I'm not certain how it compares to current XEmacs
versions, I haven't used it for some years. Best advice is to try both
versions to see which one better suits your needs.
--
Neil.
Fourth Law of Thermodynamics:

SINNER

Jan 30, 2006, 8:29:16 AM1/30/06
* Blinky the Shark wrote in news.software.readers:

> On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 20:39:15 +0000, SINNER wrote:

>> * IPavlov wrote in news.software.readers:
>>> I'm experience emacs user and was wondering if I should use Gnus for
>>> reading the news. It looks to me quite advanced and capable, but a
>>> little too have compared to slrn. Does anybody on this group uses Gnus
>>> for serious news-reading?

>> Many do. Why not just give a shot and see if you like it. I am sure it can
>> do most if not all slrn can do ;)

> <slrn mafia calls for a hit on SINNER>

Jeez, you guys always seem to miss the emoticons! Damn Mafia is always
so damn serious these days...

--
David
Vermouth always makes me brilliant unless it makes me idiotic.

Kurt

Jan 30, 2006, 9:30:58 AM1/30/06
SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote in

> * Blinky the Shark wrote in news.software.readers:

>>> Many do. Why not just give a shot and see if you like it. I am
>>> sure it can do most if not all slrn can do ;)
>
>> <slrn mafia calls for a hit on SINNER>
>
> Jeez, you guys always seem to miss the emoticons! Damn Mafia is
> always so damn serious these days...

Well, at least you don't have the Xnewser Vigilantes after you <BG>
You know how ardent those Linux fanatics can be.

--
Cheers,
Kurt

Whiskers

Jan 30, 2006, 9:53:34 AM1/30/06
On 2006-01-30, IPavlov <pav...@cox.net> wrote:
> On 2006-01-29, Whiskers <catwh...@operamail.com> wrote:

snip

>> Careful, or the slrn mafia will be looking for a wildebeest head to
>> decorate your sleeping area ;))
>
> I know - this group is quite partial to slrn. I use it myself too
> and like it a lot. What prompted me to try the wildebeest is the
> need for seamless support of international groups.
>
> IP.

The need to master the Emacs interface before even getting Gnus to work
properly, is what put me off. I agree there are some things that Gnus
seems to do better than slrn, or at least with less effort.

IPavlov

Jan 30, 2006, 11:40:58 AM1/30/06
But for anybody with Emacs experience Gnus is very natural choice.
It is hard to beat high level programmability and power of emacs lisp
if the person already knows it. I think Gnus compares to slrn similar
to how Emacs itself compares to vi. Each has its advantages. I use slrn
more and like it - it is very powerful and lightweight. It can be
configured any way you want, but I find Slang as a language less elegant
then elisp.

grey...@gmaildo.ttocom

Jan 30, 2006, 6:24:46 PM1/30/06
On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 16:40:58 GMT, IPavlov wrote:

SLRN to Gnus:
Step one: set the spool directory to slrnpull download.. eg
slrnpull/news/ in .emacs
Step two: link the active file in slrnpull/data/ to
/usr/lib/news/active..
Step three: gnus cant deal with the file structure in
slrnpull/news/*/*

slrnpull being the directory that slrnpull deals with. What now?

--
greymaus

SINNER

Jan 30, 2006, 7:29:14 PM1/30/06
* grey...@gmaildo.ttocom wrote in news.software.readers:

Switch to leafnode, both clients will be fine.
--
David
You may already be a loser.

SINNER

Jan 30, 2006, 7:29:14 PM1/30/06
* Whiskers wrote in news.software.readers:

> snip

>> IP.

Hey! I never said better. Now you've done it.

--
David
An evil mind is a great comfort.

Whiskers

Jan 30, 2006, 8:17:15 PM1/30/06

It's me they'll be after. Let 'em come.

Neil Woods

Jan 30, 2006, 8:58:26 PM1/30/06
On Tue, Jan 31 2006, SINNER wrote:

> * grey...@gmaildo.ttocom wrote in news.software.readers:
>> On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 16:40:58 GMT, IPavlov wrote:
>
>> SLRN to Gnus:
>> Step one: set the spool directory to slrnpull download.. eg
>> slrnpull/news/ in .emacs
>> Step two: link the active file in slrnpull/data/ to
>> /usr/lib/news/active..
>> Step three: gnus cant deal with the file structure in
>> slrnpull/news/*/*
>
>> slrnpull being the directory that slrnpull deals with. What now?
>
> Switch to leafnode, both clients will be fine.

Agreed. Leafnode works well, and is what I use. Slrnpull is
slrn-specific, I believe.

BTW, Gnus also has it's own built in offline mode (gnus-agent) which I
use with IMAP.
--
Neil.
You never hesitate to tackle the most difficult problems.

issdr

Feb 7, 2006, 2:13:03 PM2/7/06

you kiddin'? <news:87zp0baa...@goldfish.telnet.hu>

--
np: Fabrizio De André - Un ottico

Whiskers

Feb 7, 2006, 4:23:44 PM2/7/06
On 2006-02-07, issdr <p_u_n_...@yahoo.it> wrote:
> Neil Woods wrote:
>
>> Slrnpull is slrn-specific, I believe.
>
> you kiddin'? <news:87zp0baa...@goldfish.telnet.hu>

Hmmm. Some people use emacs as the editor for slrn, too, I've heard.
It's a strange strange world out there ;))

issdr

Feb 7, 2006, 5:31:02 PM2/7/06
Whiskers wrote:

> Hmmm. Some people use emacs as the editor for slrn, too, I've heard.
> It's a strange strange world out there ;))

once i ran slrn inside emacs' term. i felt dirty. i never tried vi(m)
though, my soul shall be saved.

--
np: Black Wire - Very Gun

Whiskers

Feb 7, 2006, 6:26:10 PM2/7/06
On 2006-02-07, issdr <p_u_n_...@yahoo.it> wrote:
> Whiskers wrote:
>
>> Hmmm. Some people use emacs as the editor for slrn, too, I've heard.
>> It's a strange strange world out there ;))
>
> once i ran slrn inside emacs' term. i felt dirty. i never tried vi(m)
> though, my soul shall be saved.

<shudder>

Few can claim to have invented a new perversion <WEG>

Neil Woods

Feb 7, 2006, 9:35:13 PM2/7/06
On Tue, Feb 07 2006, issdr wrote:

> Neil Woods wrote:
>
>> Slrnpull is slrn-specific, I believe.
>
> you kiddin'? <news:87zp0baa...@goldfish.telnet.hu>

Thanks for the correction. It just goes to show that as far as Gnus is
concerned it's not a question of "Can I do X..." but "How can I do X..."

--
Neil.
Dawn, n.:

Blinky the Shark

Feb 7, 2006, 9:44:34 PM2/7/06
issdr wrote:

> Whiskers wrote:
>
>> Hmmm. Some people use emacs as the editor for slrn, too, I've
>> heard. It's a strange strange world out there ;))
>
> once i ran slrn inside emacs' term. i felt dirty. i never tried
> vi(m) though, my soul shall be saved.

That's perverted. :)

--
Blinky