(in TB) Can i specify (Sort-by) Descending for all the Groups?

HenHanna

Feb 21, 2024, 2:40:23 PMFeb 21

i'd want newer threads on top ---

Can i make this the default in TB ? (Ascending, Descending) ?

in other words,
Can i specify (Sort-by) Descending for all the Groups?

Andy Burns

Feb 21, 2024, 3:19:07 PMFeb 21
HenHanna wrote:

> Can i specify  (Sort-by) Descending   for all the Groups?

theoretically yes, in practice what are supposed to be "sticky" setting
do not stick reliably.

it's another of those things which can't be done via the menus, only via
the GUI icons ... set a folder as you want them all (view/sort
order/threading etc) then click the "column" ivon on the right of the
message list headers and "apply current view to..." "current folder and
its children" and pick the top level of your news server

Ed Cryer

Feb 21, 2024, 3:25:24 PMFeb 21
I find that clicking on the date column header arrow instantly re-orders
from earliest to latest; and vice versa.
And it stays permanent for me.

Ed

Big Al

Feb 21, 2024, 3:52:43 PMFeb 21
I added the 'order received' column and used that rather than date, only in news. Not much better
but I found a reason once, can't verbally repeat what.
--
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon 6.0.4
Al

Andy Burns

Feb 21, 2024, 4:33:31 PMFeb 21
Ed Cryer wrote:

> I find that clicking on the date column header arrow instantly re-orders
> from earliest to latest; and vice versa.

yep

> And it stays permanent for me.

Quite frankly, *nothing* related to sort-order stays permanent for me,
but what specific action causes it to change is unfathomable, I don't
know whether it's some old setting that baked into my prefs or data files?

HenHanna

Feb 21, 2024, 5:17:09 PMFeb 21
[date column header arrow] --- i'm not seeing that.

i suppose it's just like that (counterpart) in Windows's File-Explorer (is that the name for it?)

Retro Guy

Feb 21, 2024, 5:30:39 PMFeb 21
On Wed, 21 Feb 2024 22:16:41 +0000, HenHanna wrote:

> Ed Cryer wrote:
>
>> Andy Burns wrote:

>>> theoretically yes, in practice what are supposed to be "sticky" setting
>>> do not stick reliably.
>>>
>>> it's another of those things which can't be done via the menus, only via
>>> the GUI icons ... set a folder as you want them all (view/sort
>>> order/threading etc) then click the "column" ivon on the right of the
>>> message list headers and "apply current view to..." "current folder and
>>> its children" and pick the top level of your news server
>>>
>>> unfortunately, as I said, it won't last for long :-(
>
>> I find that clicking on the date column header arrow instantly re-orders
>> from earliest to latest; and vice versa.
>> And it stays permanent for me.

> i suppose it's just like that (counterpart) in Windows's File-Explorer (is that the name for it?)

I got sick of TB a long time ago. It works, and a lot of people use it so
it's good to be familiar with it, but there are better newsreaders. Usenet
seems to be an after-thought for TB.

I'm currently partial to 40tude Dialog. I don't even run Windows, but it's
worth running it in Wine on Linux, and it runs well.

Claws Mail is decent, but not my favourite. There are very good console
clients, but I don't use them often enough to have a useful opinion.

Feb 21, 2024, 6:20:40 PMFeb 21
for plain text usenet newsgroups 40tude dialog seems incomparably
easier to set up and use than any other freeware newsreader going
(tor browser and omnimix is what i'm using for secure connections)

Sn!pe

Feb 21, 2024, 6:42:28 PMFeb 21
D <J@M> wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Feb 2024 15:29:51 -0700, Retro Guy <retr...@novabbs.org> wrote:

[...]

> >I got sick of TB a long time ago. It works, and a lot of people use it so
> >it's good to be familiar with it, but there are better newsreaders. Usenet
> >seems to be an after-thought for TB.
> >I'm currently partial to 40tude Dialog. I don't even run Windows, but it's
> >worth running it in Wine on Linux, and it runs well.
> >Claws Mail is decent, but not my favourite. There are very good console
> >clients, but I don't use them often enough to have a useful opinion.
> >

> for plain text usenet newsgroups 40tude dialog seems incomparably
> easier to set up and use than any other freeware newsreader going
> (tor browser and omnimix is what i'm using for secure connections)

I recommend Microplanet Gravity as maintained by Steve Gibson at GRC.

<https://www.grc.com/discussions.htm> (scroll down)
<https://www.grc.com/files/GravitySetup.zip> (download link)

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator

My pet rock Gordon just is.

Gary R. Schmidt

Feb 21, 2024, 11:44:07 PMFeb 21
On 22/02/2024 09:16, HenHanna wrote:
> Ed Cryer wrote:
>
>> Andy Burns wrote:

>>> theoretically yes, in practice what are supposed to be "sticky"
>>> setting do not stick reliably.
>>>
>>> it's another of those things which can't be done via the menus, only
>>> via the GUI icons ... set a folder as you want them all (view/sort
>>> order/threading etc) then click the "column" ivon on the right of the
>>> message list headers and "apply current view to..." "current folder
>>> and its children" and pick the top level of your news server
>>>
>>> unfortunately, as I said, it won't last for long :-(
>
>> I find that clicking on the date column header arrow instantly
>> re-orders from earliest to latest; and vice versa.
>> And it stays permanent for me.
>
>> Ed
>

>    [date column header arrow]  --- i'm not seeing that.

The arrow doesn't appear until you click on the column.

And to save time, yes, the same is true for *all* the other columns.

Cheers,
Gary B-)

Ed Cryer

Feb 22, 2024, 6:47:38 AMFeb 22
Tweakability. TB and BB are teeming with it. And that's the problem
here. Too much!
Somehow I've managed to accidentally hit a combo that works, but just
what it is I've no idea.
And most discussions end unsuccessfully, because of all the other
settings that are tied up with producing the particular effect one
person gets.

Ed

Andy Burns

Feb 22, 2024, 6:56:04 AMFeb 22
Ed Cryer wrote:

> weakability. TB and BB are teeming with it. And that's the problem here.
> Too much!

but I wouldn't want to be without it ...