extending slrn

Julian Bradfield

Nov 25, 2022, 11:25:03 AM11/25/22
There are a couple of things I'd like slrn to do for me:

(1) Mark articles to return on newsgroup exit (the rn 'M' command),
and/or mark articles to stay visible until the mark is cleared.

(2) Followup to multiple tagged articles in one post.

It's not obvious to me that these can be done in s-lang rather than C -
can they?

J.B. Nicholson

Nov 26, 2022, 4:54:02 PM11/26/22
Julian Bradfield <j...@inf.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
> There are a couple of things I'd like slrn to do for me:
>
> (1) Mark articles to return on newsgroup exit (the rn 'M' command),
> and/or mark articles to stay visible until the mark is cleared.

slrn lets you press '*' to mark articles with an asterisk and
temporarily fix their unread status. An article marked with a '*'
won't be marked read when you catchup that group from article mode.

The '*' mark won't be there when you quit group mode and re-enter that
group. If you'd like the '*' tag to remain across re-entering the
group (including across slrn sessions) for as long as your newsserver
carries the affected article, consider installing Stickytags
https://forestfield.org/slrn/stickytags.tar.gz which is a slrn macro
written in S-Lang.

> (2) Followup to multiple tagged articles in one post.

I'm not sure that I clearly understand what this means. Do you mean
posting one article which will be seen in threaded newsreaders to be a
child article (1st-level descendant) of multiple other articles? Or
something else?