[slrn] reddit nntp gateway

Tavis Ormandy

Feb 1, 2021, 1:02:47 PM2/1/21
I spent this weekend trying to get a reddit nntp gateway working, maybe
some of the regulars here might be interested.

It's super experimental, and I've only tested it with slrn, but if you
don't mind a few bugs it does basically work! If you're a c programmer
and usenet fan, would appreciate any contributors!

There are some screenshots here:

https://github.com/taviso/nntpit#nntpit

Tavis.

--
_o) $ lynx lock.cmpxchg8b.com
/\\ _o) _o) $ finger tav...@sdf.org

hey joe

Feb 1, 2021, 1:43:03 PM2/1/21
On 1 Feb 2021 18:02:45 GMT, Tavis Ormandy <tav...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I spent this weekend trying to get a reddit nntp gateway working, maybe
>some of the regulars here might be interested.
>
>It's super experimental, and I've only tested it with slrn, but if you
>don't mind a few bugs it does basically work! If you're a c programmer
>and usenet fan, would appreciate any contributors!
>
>There are some screenshots here:
>
>https://github.com/taviso/nntpit#nntpit
>
>Tavis.

Whoa, very cool. Nice work!

Unknown

Feb 1, 2021, 6:40:47 PM2/1/21
On 1/2/2021 12:02 PM, Tavis Ormandy wrote:

> I spent this weekend trying to get a reddit nntp gateway working

What is a "reddit nntp gateway"

--
J. B. Wood e-mail: arl_1...@hotmail.com

Tavis Ormandy

Feb 2, 2021, 12:16:00 AM2/2/21
> What is a "reddit nntp gateway"

Reddit is a very large discussion site. The discussions are organized
into different groups called subreddits.

An nntp gateway makes those discussions look like newsgroups, so you can
access them with a news reader.

If you read news.software.readers, then you probably quite like your
newsreader, so this would give you more news to read with it :)

Lis Khittan

Feb 5, 2021, 2:02:01 PM2/5/21
Great work! Thank you.

Manifest0

Feb 24, 2021, 4:27:04 PM2/24/21

On Mon, 01 Feb 2021 18:02:45 +0000, Tavis Ormandy wrote:

> I spent this weekend trying to get a reddit nntp gateway working

Cool project :-)

Although i would prefer having the reddit posts posted to a news server,
than just having a nntp client interface.

Grant Taylor

Feb 24, 2021, 5:25:33 PM2/24/21
On 2/24/21 2:26 PM, Manifest0 wrote:
> Cool project :-)

Agreed.

> Although i would prefer having the reddit posts posted to a news
> server, than just having a nntp client interface.

Would something like the various utilities to suck news from one server
(Reddit) and post them to another server suffice?

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Eli the Bearded

Feb 24, 2021, 6:31:53 PM2/24/21
It's possibly more complex. Server to server NNTP is message-ID based.
I believe slrn (like rn and trn) uses article the number interface to
news. That said, it generates References: headers, so it has some
message-ID mechanism. Certainly using a real NNTP backend would remove
a lot of places where newsreader quirks could interfere.

Elijah
------
IHAVE <new-reddit-comment>

Russell

Feb 25, 2021, 10:01:07 PM2/25/21
I know it's not the same thing, but I you just want Reddit at the
terminal, rtv is a really cool way to do it. Using the --enable-media
switch, you can even use your .mailcap to view images and videos if
you're using it in X.

--
rust

Grant Taylor

Feb 26, 2021, 6:21:23 AM2/26/21
On 2/24/21 4:31 PM, Eli the Bearded wrote:
> It's possibly more complex. Server to server NNTP is message-ID based.

I completely agree.

I was referring to server to client to server, not server to server.
Where the client is actually using NNRP between the two servers; read on
one and post to the other. At least that's my understanding of how
things like suck work.

Maybe I'm wrong. I don't remember the last time I used suck.

As I type this, I've actually had INN do a /pull/ from another news
server more recently than I've used suck. So, maybe that's an idea too.
Have INN do a /pull/ from Tavis's reddit NNTP gateway.