Re: Preferred version of 40tude Dialog?

1 view

Jim S

Oct 7, 2020, 11:58:09 AM10/7/20
On Wed, 07 Oct 2020 10:32:31 -0500, Lawrence wrote:

> Am thinking about switching to 40tude Dialog.
>
> I see the following versions -
> dialog-15.1
> dialog-15.41
> dialog-15.84
>
> What is the preferred/best version to use?

15.84
--
Jim S

Jim S

Oct 7, 2020, 12:00:07 PM10/7/20
PS Try Microplanet Gravity
--
Jim S

Bernd Rose

Oct 7, 2020, 12:52:39 PM10/7/20
On Wed, 07th Oct 2020 10:32:31 -0500, Lawrence wrote:

> Am thinking about switching to 40tude Dialog.
>
> I see the following versions -
> dialog-15.1
> dialog-15.41
> dialog-15.84
>
> What is the preferred/best version to use?

Recommended version is .41, which contains some bugfixes in comparison
to .1 and was /officially/ released by the programmer Marcus Mönnig.
(Via Mantis bugtracker site for 40tude Dialog.)

The .84 contains several severe changes (memory manager and others),
which didn't work out. Marcus was seen in several forums and Usenet
groups searching for solutions for several problems with these changed
internals. But without luck. (The last versions /he/ used himself
during this search where somewhere in the upper .9x.)

The .84 was never meant to appear /anywhere/ in public and was leaked
years after Marcus obviously abandoned further development (mostly out
of personal reasons, as it seems) by an Alpha tester or translator.

.84 mostly works astonishing flawless for software in Alpha state, but
has been seen to completely stall on occasions. I don't think, there
was ever a list of problems and bugs of this version compiled in public.
So you /could/ try it. But then expect a bug to hit you at the least
preferable moment. There are no additional features in .84, making
it worth switching from .41. There /was/ a certain family of AMD
processors (from around 2002, IIRC), where .84 was reported to run
better than .41. But this was an extremely special case and not really
confirmed from other sources...

If you install 40tude Dialog, use the setup for .1 and install it as
a /portable/ program in a folder not under UAC protection. (If you
install Dialog to "C:\Program Files (x86)" or the like, you will end
up always loosing your settings and destroying the database.) Something
like C:\MyProgs\40tude_Dialog should be fine. After installing the .1
you can simply overwrite Dialog.exe with the one found inside the
.41 update *.zip-file. For encrypted server access, using a SSL proxy
like sTunnel is strongly recommended.

The German 40tude Dialog FAQ has been updated, recently. Maybe you
try to read the relevant subjects through Google Translator?

https://translate.google.de/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=https://www.wolfgang-bauer.at/4td_faq/installation.html

HTH.
Bernd

Sqwertz

Oct 7, 2020, 2:24:39 PM10/7/20
.84 fixed a memory problem for me in Win 7 and continues to work
just fine in Windows 10.

-sw

Bernd Rose

Oct 7, 2020, 4:50:39 PM10/7/20
On Wed, 7th Oct 2020 13:24:38 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> .84 fixed a memory problem for me in Win 7 and continues to work
> just fine in Windows 10.

And I wrote 5 years ago (about the matter, which in itself happened another
couple of years earlier): ;-)

| On Sat, 24 Oct 2015 09:26:35 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
|
| > I have been using .84 for years without any problems. And it fixes a
| > memory bug/crash that occurred when I switched from XP to Win7.
|
| If I'm not very mistaken, it is /not/ the code of the .84 that fixed your
| former crashes. It just happens, that the .84 is compiled using a newer
| Delphi compiler. That compiler avoided the crashes, that some internal
| Delphi library code caused on certain AMD processors when compiled with
| older Delphi compilers. (Like the one .41 has been compiled with...) So
| it all boiled down to a decision between Scylla (= buggy Delphi support
| for certain AMD processor and chipset functions) and Charybdis (= using
| a Dialog re-write in Alpha state).

Your matter was the one I referred to in my earlier posting. And it is the
/only/ case that I know of, that somebody declared /consistently/, that
.84 worked, while .41 did not. Most people lauding the .84 would have been
(at least) equally well served by .41.

One should think of .84 as a car, where a mechanic just did some internal
tests, whether a different brake system would fit. The car was never meant
to appear on street. But someone stole it and now a whole bunch of people
drives it regularly on public roads. Fortunately, the mechanic worked well,
in the first place. But a cotter pin /may/ come of, when security counts
the most...

Bernd

Sqwertz

Oct 8, 2020, 6:59:58 PM10/8/20
I really don't care why it works. I just know it works and I've
continued to use it for 7+ years on 3 different processors with
dozens of other hardware combinations.

-sw

Bernd Rose

Oct 9, 2020, 1:25:27 AM10/9/20
Am Do, 8. Okt 2020 17:59:56 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

>> One should think of .84 as a car, where a mechanic just did some internal
>> tests, whether a different brake system would fit. The car was never meant
>> to appear on street. But someone stole it and now a whole bunch of people
>> drives it regularly on public roads. Fortunately, the mechanic worked well,
>> in the first place. But a cotter pin /may/ come of, when security counts
>> the most...
>
> I really don't care why it works. I just know it works and I've
> continued to use it for 7+ years on 3 different processors with
> dozens of other hardware combinations.

I know, that you don't care. But that shouldn't result in you recommending
.84 to others. It is a pirate copy not intended for release and imposes
additional risks without /any/ gain. (Your earliest AMD CPU setup probably
aside...)

Bernd

Sqwertz

Oct 11, 2020, 6:35:38 PM10/11/20