Renumber articles by posting date?

Jesse Rehmer

Aug 6, 2022, 1:37:33 PM8/6/22
Is there a way one can renumber articles contained on a INN tradspool in
chronological order?

I've been pulling in articles over time from various sources, so I have a wide
range of article numbers and posting dates that are out of sequence. When a
newsreader fetches X number of headers it may get some articles from 2003 and
some from 2022, but be missing a lot in between until all headers are loaded
and the reader sorts by the Date header.

I've been thinking that INN stores the posting date as one of the values in
the history file, there may be some way to do this, perhaps not in place, but
I'm not sure how to sort the input for innxmit. I am thinking if I can figure
out how to do that I could seed another server and then retire the current
one.

I do not have any readers besides myself at the moment, still getting
everything "just right", so I'm not worried about article renumbering issues
from that angle.

Cheers,

Jesse

Julien ÉLIE

Aug 6, 2022, 3:34:24 PM8/6/22
Hi Jesse,

> Is there a way one can renumber articles contained on a INN tradspool in
> chronological order?
>
> I've been thinking that INN stores the posting date as one of the values in
> the history file, there may be some way to do this, perhaps not in place, but
> I'm not sure how to sort the input for innxmit.

Exactly!
The third timestamp in the history file (1632832725 in the example
below) is the posting time.

[8FEB593A03B03416C6AD1CED669BC442] 1632832728~-~1632832725
@030346523100000000000000002800000001@

I would suggest to sort the history file with that field, and keep the
token in the output

sort -t '~' -k3n | cut -f 3 < history > tokens.sorted

will do that I think.
You'll obtain an ordered list of article storage tokens by posting time.

This file is a suitable entry for innxmit. If present in
<pathoutgoing>, then run "innxmit your.news.server tokens.sorted" and
they will be fed to your new news server in the expected order.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« – Alors j'ai eu une idée géniale : ramener à César un des Gaulois
irréductibles de la région !
– Mais, préfet, ces Gaulois irréductibles ont un grand défaut !
– Ah ? Lequel ?
– C'est qu'ils sont irréductibles justement ! » (Astérix)

Julien ÉLIE

Aug 6, 2022, 3:47:27 PM8/6/22
>   sort -t '~' -k3n | cut -f 3 < history > tokens.sorted

It will be better with parenthesis, sorry... (I had tested with "head
history | sort -t '~' -k3n | cut -f 3" but not what I wrote).

(sort -t '~' -k3n | cut -f 3) < history > tokens.sorted

--
Julien ÉLIE

« – Heureusement, nous aurons bientôt le TGV !
– C'est quoi le tégévé ?
– C'est le Transport Gaulois Véloce. » (Astérix)