Disable nnrpd group logging?

Jesse Rehmer

Jul 8, 2022, 1:20:39 PM7/8/22
I think I've read the relevant man pages but may have missed it, but I'm
looking for a way to disable nnrpd logging. More specifically, I don't want
the news.notice log filling up with 'group' lines.

Authentication and post commands are the items I feel I need to see, the rest
are statistic oriented IMHO. Looking over things I don't see a way to
accomplish that unless I filter with syslog. Just want to make sure I'm not
missing an option that might accomplish that in inn.conf/readers.conf.

Cheers,

Jesse

Julien ÉLIE

Jul 8, 2022, 1:52:30 PM7/8/22
Hi Jesse,
There's no parameter to only disable a specific log line.
I would indeed recommend to use your syslog facility to filter group lines.

Note that your Usenet daily reports will then no longer have the group
counts (innreport uses that information).

--
Julien ÉLIE

« I don't know if it's what you want, but it's what you get. » (Larry
Wall)

Russ Allbery

Jul 8, 2022, 1:56:20 PM7/8/22
The general intent for INN logging is that you filter all of the logs into
separate files using syslog configuration and then only read the nighly
report, which should summarize any important information in the logs that
you need to be aware of. If you discard the "group" log lines, you will
lose the statistics in the nightly report about what groups are being
read; that's where that data comes from.

Regardless, I don't believe nnrpd supports customizing its logging in the
way you mention.

--
Russ Allbery (ea...@eyrie.org) <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

Please post questions rather than mailing me directly.
<https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/questions.html> explains why.