rebuilding inn with large-files

Nigel Reed

Feb 2, 2024, 3:46:30 PMFeb 2
So stupid me forgot to build inn with large file support and my history
file is rapidly approaching 2G

I have about 80GB of news articles downloaded so far.

CanI rebuild inn with large file support and just rebuild the index or
do I pretty much have to start over from sratch due to the different
file formats?

--
End Of The Line BBS - Plano, TX
telnet endofthelinebbs.com 23

Russ Allbery

Feb 2, 2024, 3:52:39 PMFeb 2
Nigel Reed <sy...@endofthelinebbs.com> writes:

> So stupid me forgot to build inn with large file support and my history
> file is rapidly approaching 2G

> I have about 80GB of news articles downloaded so far.

> CanI rebuild inn with large file support and just rebuild the index or
> do I pretty much have to start over from sratch due to the different
> file formats?

Are you really running on a 32-bit platform and not a 64-bit platform?
Unless you're using really old hardware or you have been continuously
upgrading the same system for a long time, this is fairly unlikely.

The large file support only matters on 32-bit platforms.

Unfortunately, if you *are* on a 32-bit platform and built without large
file support, you'll generally need to rebuild all of history and
overview. off_t is embedded in a lot of stuff.

--
Russ Allbery (ea...@eyrie.org) <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

Please post questions rather than mailing me directly.
<https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/questions.html> explains why.

Nigel Reed

Feb 2, 2024, 4:09:30 PMFeb 2
On Fri, 02 Feb 2024 12:52:37 -0800
Russ Allbery <ea...@eyrie.org> wrote:

> Nigel Reed <sy...@endofthelinebbs.com> writes:
>
> > So stupid me forgot to build inn with large file support and my
> > history file is rapidly approaching 2G
>
> > I have about 80GB of news articles downloaded so far.
>
> > CanI rebuild inn with large file support and just rebuild the index
> > or do I pretty much have to start over from sratch due to the
> > different file formats?
>
> Are you really running on a 32-bit platform and not a 64-bit platform?
> Unless you're using really old hardware or you have been continuously
> upgrading the same system for a long time, this is fairly unlikely.

Oh ok. I missed that in the documentation then. I thought it was a bit
strange in this day and age. :) Thank you for the quick response.