[nn] two questions

dale

Dec 31, 2016, 8:43:31 PM12/31/16
how do I permanently set a fully qualified domain name (FQDN)?

if I add the following line to the end of my
/etc/resolv.conf
it works, but is written over every restart

next question

how do I adjust a Path header?

my host news.alt.net allows for pre-loading

when the FQDN is set what I get without any preloading is
as in

I want
or something with news.alt.net surrounding my domain
I think this is a requirement from my host

I tried editing ~./nn/init
to add
set news-header Path: !www.dalekelly.org!news.alt.net
but the post doesn't go through

other news-headers work in ~./nn/init work

I am using
from/on Debian 8 jessie

--
dale | http://www.dalekelly.org

dale

Dec 31, 2016, 8:45:05 PM12/31/16
On 12/31/2016 8:43 PM, dale wrote:
> if I add the following line to the end of my
> /etc/resolv.conf
> it works, but is written over every restart

domain dalekelly.org

--
dale | http://www.dalekelly.org

Michael Baeuerle

Jan 1, 2017, 6:10:07 AM1/1/17
dale wrote:

> [...]
> how do I adjust a Path header?
>
> my host news.alt.net allows for pre-loading
>
> when the FQDN is set what I get without any preloading is
> as in
>
> I want
> or something with news.alt.net surrounding my domain
> I think this is a requirement from my host

I can't help with nn configuration, but your intended configuration
above looks syntactically invalid.

RFC 5536 [1] defines the "Path" headerfield to end with 'tail-entry',
and 'tail-entry' is not allowed to contain '.' (dot).
Something like:

www.dalekelly.org!dale

or (because it likely is not a valid UUCP mail address):

www.dalekelly.org!not-for-mail

would match the syntax defined in [1].

The part "news.alt.net" should be added by the injecting agent (your
service provider) according to RFC 5537 [2].

[Fup2 news.software.readers because no longer specific to nn]

_________________
[1] <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5536#section-3.1.5>
[2] <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5537#section-3.2.1>

Sir Gregory Hall, Esq.

Jan 1, 2017, 12:32:57 PM1/1/17
So many morons, so little time.

To preload your path simply add a Path: header
to your client's header editor.

example:

another example:

Dumbass!

--

"In my erudition, I say a man not mince words in order
to spare the sensibilities of the thin-skinned and the

--Sir Gregory Hall, Esq.

dale

Jan 1, 2017, 3:51:12 PM1/1/17
On 1/1/2017 12:32 PM, Sir Gregory Hall, Esq. wrote:
> example:

Article not Accepted by server; not posted

also tried news.alt.net instead of alt.net

same error

removed the first exclamation point

same error

> Dumbass!

<philosophy>

who is the Dumbass?
the one with the question?
or the one who says Dumbass after giving the wrong answer?

</philosophy>

<reflection>

thanks for any type of answer

</reflection>

--
dale | http://www.dalekelly.org

Sir Gregory Hall, Esq.

Jan 1, 2017, 5:10:52 PM1/1/17
They work just fine for me.

Here's a couple MIDs as proof:

I still say you're a dumbass.

Sir Gregory Hall, Esq.

Jan 1, 2017, 5:26:01 PM1/1/17
On Sun, 1 Jan 2017 15:51:28 -0500, dale <da...@dalekelly.org> wrote:

Here is another path preload that worked just
fine for me when frogging another subscriber.

To do a good froggery, one has to make the path look
like the path one is frogging. A proper pre-load
accomplishes this as well as oftentimes keeping the
person being frogged from even seeing the post since
his server is fooled into thinking he has seen it
already. LOL

Nathan Hale

Jan 1, 2017, 6:04:07 PM1/1/17
In article <8uei6c94a75p69pak...@4ax.com>
Only a moron would provide such meaningless generic advice and not
the nn specifics the OP was looking for.

dale

Jan 1, 2017, 6:10:40 PM1/1/17
the header I get is

I don't think this is what Altopia requires

in the FAQ Altopia says something like

is what is acceptable

note the only other headers set in
~./nn/init
are
Reply-To
and
Organization

I think the path statement is picking up my name, dale, from the
Reply-To header

my From header seems to be constructed from
my Reply-To header
and the domain, dalekelly.org set in /etc/resolv.conf

note I have to reset the domain in resolv.conf upon each startup

--
dale | http://www.dalekelly.org

Sir Gregory Hall, Esq.

Jan 1, 2017, 8:12:06 PM1/1/17
Another dumbass I have to deal with. Ini files
are client specific so I have no idea how to
edit his, you moron. This being the case it
would be stupid of me to attempt to give the
Rube this kind of advice.

His client should and probably does have a
way, independent of the .ini file to hand
configure a path preload which then writes
it to the .ini file, at least temporarily.

Not being familiar with his lame client,
this also I do not know. But, I can and
did advise the moron to use his client's
header editor to set up a path preload.

It's up to him to learn how to make sure
his client's .ini file retains it and/or
does not overwrite it.

His claiming the path preloading doesn't
work and implying it's got something to
do with alt.net servers is stupid because
I showed him via MID how easily it can
be done and how very long path preloads
work just fine.

No please to be buggering off, ass face!

dale

Jan 1, 2017, 8:23:32 PM1/1/17
On 1/1/2017 6:32 PM, Stray Cat wrote:
> You should post the actual contents of your ~./nn/init file.
>
> But in the meantime does it contain an entry like this:
>
> set news-header Path: !www.dalekelly.org!alt.net!POSTED!not-for-mail;

I didn't have the semi-colon at the end of the Path statement ...

but I still get the error
Article not Accepted by server; not posted
with ~./nn/init as follows

set mail-header From: dale ;Reply-To: da...@dalekelly.org;
set mail-header Organization: DELETEME;
set news-header From: dale ;Reply-To: da...@dalekelly.org;
set news-header Organization: DELETEME;
set news-header Path: !www.dalekelly.org!alt.net!POSTED!not-for-mail;

without the Path header set at all in ~./nn/init

set mail-header From: dale ;Reply-To: da...@dalekelly.org;
set mail-header Organization: DELETEME;
set news-header From: dale ;Reply-To: da...@dalekelly.org;
set news-header Organization: DELETEME;

the result posts with Path Header

I'm looking for something described in
https://www.altopia.com/polfaq.html

Thanks much

--
dale | http://www.dalekelly.org

dale

Jan 1, 2017, 10:41:29 PM1/1/17
On 1/1/2017 9:39 PM, Stray Cat wrote:
> Don't enter multiple identical header types. Try this:
>
> set news-header From: dale;Reply-To: da...@dalekelly.org;Organization: DELETEME;Path: !www.dalekelly.org!alt.net!POSTED!not-for-mail
> set mail-header From: dale;Reply-To: da...@dalekelly.org;Organization: DELETEME

that worked!!!

Thanks Much

there isn't much nn documentation around, man page is thorough but I
never was good at man pages

--
dale | http://www.dalekelly.org

andrew

Jan 2, 2017, 12:17:32 AM1/2/17
["Followup-To:" header set to news.software.readers.]
On 2017-01-01, dale <da...@dalekelly.org> wrote:

> how do I permanently set a fully qualified domain name (FQDN)?

Perhaps some useful advice here:

http://www.andrews-corner.org/linux/leafnode.html#fqdn

I am not sure about Debian, certainly this works well enough under
Slackware and I think is suitable generic advice...

Andrew
--
Do you think that's air you're breathing?

dale

Jan 2, 2017, 12:41:22 AM1/2/17
On 1/1/2017 10:59 PM, Stray Cat wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Jan 2017 22:41:46 -0500, dale <da...@dalekelly.org> wrote:
>

>>> Don't enter multiple identical header types. Try this:
>>>
>>> set news-header From: dale;Reply-To: da...@dalekelly.org;Organization: DELETEME;Path: !www.dalekelly.org!alt.net!POSTED!not-for-mail
>>> set mail-header From: dale;Reply-To: da...@dalekelly.org;Organization: DELETEME
>>>

>> that worked!!!
>>
>> Thanks Much
>>
>> there isn't much nn documentation around, man page is thorough but I
>> never was good at man pages
>
> This is decent nn documentation.
>
> http://www.linuxcertif.com/man/1/nn/

thanks for the docs!!!

From: dale
Newsgroups: alt.test.test.test
Subject: test nn path header again
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2017 03:37:43 +0000 (UTC)

dale

Jan 2, 2017, 10:49:46 AM1/2/17
On 1/2/2017 12:54 AM, Stray Cat wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Jan 2017 00:41:39 -0500, dale <da...@dalekelly.org> wrote:

>> From: dale
>> Newsgroups: alt.test.test.test
>> Subject: test nn path header again
>> Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2017 03:37:43 +0000 (UTC)
>
> You have an extra ! after news.alt.net

had to remove the first ! from the Path part of news-header

here is what I get now

From: dale
Newsgroups: alt.test.test.test
Subject: removed extra ! from init