Is there a newsgroup to find a newsgroup?

X. X. Sputnik

Aug 11, 2013, 11:50:02 AM8/11/13
Hello UseNet.

I need to find a newsgroup about newsgroup!

Where I can tell my topic and get an answer in which newsgroup I should ask?

I now need a newsgroup about how to watch CNN in Russia.
I asked in alt.os.linux.ubuntu - maybe they know there - but no answer,
and they didn't pointed me to a newsgroup where to ask as well.
So I ask here.
I think that is a serious question. Agree?
(Should exist something like news.groups or alt.news.groups but with
much more people!)

--
X. X. Sputnik russian...@russiansputnik.com
[alt.os.linux.fedora] [comp.mobile.android]

Emanuel Berg

Aug 11, 2013, 4:50:02 PM8/11/13
"X. X. Sputnik" <russian...@russiansputnik.com> writes:

> I need to find a newsgroup about newsgroup!
>
> Where I can tell my topic and get an answer in which newsgroup I
> should ask?
>
> I now need a newsgroup about how to watch CNN in Russia. I
> asked in alt.os.linux.ubuntu - maybe they know there - but no
> answer, and they didn't pointed me to a newsgroup where to ask
> as well. So I ask here. I think that is a serious
> question. Agree? (Should exist something like news.groups or
> alt.news.groups but with much more people!)

Gospodin Sputnik, I know exactly how you feel. I've wondered the
same thing - "where do I post *this*?" - countless of times, and
the best practice I've come up with is just post it where you
think it may fit (state several groups, to widen the fish net),
and see what happens. Not really the scientific way, I know.

So thumbs up, great question.

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

X. X. Sputnik

Aug 11, 2013, 9:30:03 PM8/11/13
On 08/12/2013 03:50 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:

> "X. X. Sputnik" <russian...@russiansputnik.com> writes:
>
>> I need to find a newsgroup about newsgroup!
>>
>> Where I can tell my topic and get an answer in which newsgroup I
>> should ask?
>>
>> I now need a newsgroup about how to watch CNN in Russia. I
>> asked in alt.os.linux.ubuntu - maybe they know there - but no
>> answer, and they didn't pointed me to a newsgroup where to ask
>> as well. So I ask here. I think that is a serious
>> question. Agree? (Should exist something like news.groups or
>> alt.news.groups but with much more people!)
>
> Gospodin Sputnik, I know exactly how you feel. I've wondered the
> same thing - "where do I post *this*?" - countless of times, and
> the best practice I've come up with is just post it where you
> think it may fit (state several groups, to widen the fish net),
> and see what happens. Not really the scientific way, I know.
>
> So thumbs up, great question.

And great answer too!

I sometimes create newsgroups.

I created comp.mobile.android recently.
Everyone were telling me in the previous years were no posts ontopic.

But... I found 3 in last 3 years, 2 of which were asking where to post
about Android OS / devices, created newsgroup, and now everyday someone
posts there.
Some people think I'm mad because I still think that I want to post and
no one knows the newsgroup, I think I can create newsgroup if I think
the topic is popular to more than just me - like e.g. Fedora.
(Created Fedora newsgroup recently.)
Problem is - for newsgroup to be accepted quickly it must be a Big-8
newsgroup these days, and you need to prove them first that there are
people who are already posting about the topic of newsgroup.
Issue is that no one posted anything just because were no newsgroup, and
person simply went to World Wide Web.
I understand that creating newsgroups is restricted because removing
them is a pain - but what to do? Wait while UseNet will die because
there is no place to post about my topic?

Recently I wanted to ask how to watch CNN in Russia cheap through the
Internet and better using GNU/Linux PC.
Everyone told me I'm idiot because I posted to alt.os.linux.ubuntu so
many times that they better given me answer that no one here knows. And
no one even tried to point me to good newsgroup which I asked, too!
I'm saying it again, because thread become big, I was called troll, and
I thought someone using Ubuntu may watch TV, sometimes foreign channels,
sometimes from "bad" countries like Russia or China. Finally, Ubuntu's
philosophy is humanity - or used to be?

In theory there is newsgroup news.groups, everyone should be subscribed
to it and talk there about newsgroups, promote newsgroups, ask which
newsgroup is suitable for what, you understand. BUT NO ONE DOES!

There is also news.misc.
To post everything that is offtopic to any other already existing
newsgroups.

I think you can check how news.misc is popular using your newsreader.

Maybe we need a new book, Big Faq about UseNet for everyone to know and
read about such small things? Maybe I should write it? I don't know.

But it must be so good e - book that it would be shameful for everyone
not to read it before posting anything to UseNet or even reading it.

Emanuel Berg

Aug 12, 2013, 1:30:02 AM8/12/13
"X. X. Sputnik" <russian...@russiansputnik.com> writes:

> I sometimes create newsgroups.

Yeah? How does that work?

> (Created Fedora newsgroup recently.)

There is a comp.os.linux with very sparse traffic, and a
comp.unix.misc with some traffic (as have comp.unix.shell and
comp.unix.programmer).

I don't know if the Linux distros really need separate groups, as
so much of the Linux material is distro-agnostic (and even applies
to legacy UNIX and modern Unix systems) - so, try those groups if
you didn't already.

> I understand that creating newsgroups is restricted because
> removing them is a pain - but what to do?

Usenet's problem isn't lack of groups. I don't think so, at
least. Problem is, people are so used to GUIs, and they are brain
damaged by Google, IM, and (a)social-media. To discuss common
interests, that are by nature difficult and requires dedication,
is something lots of kids never do. And that's sad. Instead of
learning stuff on Usenet, they gossip on Facebook.

> Wait while Usenet will die because there is no place to post
> about my topic?

Again, I don't think that's Usenet's problem, at all.

> And no one even tried to point me to good newsgroup which I
> asked, too!

Never be frustrated with other people, and especially not on
Usenet. It is such a waste of time and productivity.

> Finally, Ubuntu's philosophy is humanity - or used to be?

Ubuntu is bloated/GUI'd/Windowsified Debian. Debian is great, and
the Ubuntu people know it, so they can just be hysterical about
"Look & Feel" without having to worry about making everything work
(because Debian does that). They can worry about the wallpaper
selector and cool T-shirts to market their system. That's the
Ubuntu philosophy, I'm afraid.

> In theory there is newsgroup news.groups, everyone should be
> subscribed to it and talk there about newsgroups, promote
> newsgroups, ask which newsgroup is suitable for what, you
> understand. BUT NO ONE DOES!

Being angry won't help. Only focus on what you do, not what other
people do. You can't change them, so there is no point being
frustrated with what they do or don't. Relax.

> I think you can check how news.misc is popular using your
> newsreader.

OK, I will. I use Emacs Gnus. [1]

> Maybe we need a new book, Big Faq about UseNet for everyone to
> know and read about such small things? Maybe I should write it?

Yes! Start today :)

[1] http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/gnus/index.html

(Note - the page is down ATM, but I think it will be up tomorrow.)

Mark Blain

Aug 12, 2013, 11:05:02 AM8/12/13

Whiskers

Aug 12, 2013, 4:40:02 PM8/12/13
On 2013-08-12, X. X. Sputnik <russian...@russiansputnik.com> wrote:

[...]

> Maybe we need a new book, Big Faq about UseNet for everyone to know and
> read about such small things? Maybe I should write it? I don't know.
>
> But it must be so good e - book that it would be shameful for everyone
> not to read it before posting anything to UseNet or even reading it.

There is <http://www.anta.net/misc/nnq/> "Official home page of the
newsgroup news.newusers.questions".

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Kathy Morgan

Aug 25, 2013, 11:20:03 AM8/25/13
X. X. Sputnik <russian...@russiansputnik.com> wrote:

> I need to find a newsgroup about newsgroup!
>
> Where I can tell my topic and get an answer in which newsgroup I should ask?

news.groups.questions is intended for that, but I'm not sure if there is
anyone monitoring the group these days to answer the question.

news.newusers.questions is also a good place to ask to ask about English
language groups.

> I now need a newsgroup about how to watch CNN in Russia.

Possibly in one of these groups:

soc.culture.russian
soc.culture.russian.moderated

--
Kathy

Lucas S. A. Castro

Jun 2, 2016, 2:25:03 AM6/2/16
That kind of answer is what is missing today!