bham.*

Peter Percival

May 31, 2016, 1:10:04 PM5/31/16
Can anyone tell me what newsgroups are in bham.*? If I ask my
newsreader it says bham.test only, but that'll be (I suppose) because
Albasani only carries that one. I hope that somewhere there is a
definitive list.
--
A high and rising proportion of children are being born to mothers
least fitted to bring children into the world.... Some are of low

VanguardLH

May 31, 2016, 6:55:03 PM5/31/16
Peter Percival wrote:

> Can anyone tell me what newsgroups are in bham.*? If I ask my
> newsreader it says bham.test only, but that'll be (I suppose) because
> Albasani only carries that one. I hope that somewhere there is a
> definitive list.

You retrieve the list of newsgroups for the particular NNTP server to
which you connect. No exhaustive list of every newsgroup carried on
every NNTP server now or in the past will represent the newsgroups that
your particular NNTP server will carry. You have to find out which ones
YOUR newsgroup provider carries.

If bham.test is the only newsgroup that Albasani carries and you want to
see if there are more then you have to connect to a different NNTP
server and get its list of newsgroups. bham looks to be some remnant
garbage group.

http://www.harley.com/usenet/master-list/
That doesn't mean a newsgroup will be available on the NNTP servers to
which you connect, or that it is a non-junk newsgroup just because your
NNTP server carries it. There are about 120,000 newsgroups of which a
large number are junk (some deliberately created that are garbage).

http://www.giganews.com/newsgroup_search.html
Obviously only lists newsgroups carried by Giganews. I'm not sure there
is a bigger Usenet provider. They may not carry newsgroup that cater to
illegal content that perhaps you find on other NNTP servers. Then did
list a few newsgroups containing "bham" but only one that *start* with
"bham" (bham.test).

NOTE: Signatures should be limited to 4 lines (or eliminated since they
are rarely on-topic hence they are spam).

Whiskers

May 31, 2016, 6:55:03 PM5/31/16
On 2016-05-31, Peter Percival <peterxp...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Can anyone tell me what newsgroups are in bham.*? If I ask my
> newsreader it says bham.test only, but that'll be (I suppose) because
> Albasani only carries that one. I hope that somewhere there is a
> definitive list.

News.individual.net has no groups in that hierarchy. They seem to be
local to the news-server operated by and for the University of
Birmingham in England (according to this page dated 1996)
<https://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/research/projects/poplog/help/usenet>.

--
-- Whiskers

Peter Percival