Emacs Package Repositories

M.R.P.

Mar 3, 2017, 7:30:03 PM3/3/17
Can I add package repositories such as macports or homebrew to emacs
package manager?

VanguardLH

Mar 3, 2017, 11:15:03 PM3/3/17
M.R.P. wrote:

> Can I add package repositories such as macports or homebrew to emacs
> package manager?

Not sure how does this relates to new[group]s aka Usenet.

Kathy Morgan

Mar 3, 2017, 11:30:03 PM3/3/17
It doesn't, not directly, but I approved the message in hopes that
someone here could suggest the newsgroup M.R.P. should use for the
question.

My server carries these groups with emacs in the name, but I've no idea
which might be an appropriate place for the particular question:

alt.lucid-emacs.bug
alt.lucid-emacs.help
alt.religion.emacs
cn.bbs.comp.emacs
comp.emacs
comp.emacs.xemacs
fido7.ru.emacs
fj.editor.emacs
fj.editor.xemacs
fr.comp.applications.emacs
gnu.emacs.announce
gnu.emacs.bug
gnu.emacs.gnus
gnu.emacs.help
gnu.emacs.sources
gnu.emacs.vm.bug
gnu.emacs.vm.info
gnu.emacs.vms
japan.comp.emacs
linux.debian.maint.emacsen
no.it.programvare.emacs
sfnet.atk.ohjelmistot.emacs

--
Kathy, moderator for nnq

VanguardLH

Mar 4, 2017, 6:15:03 PM3/4/17
Kathy Morgan wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> M.R.P. wrote:
>>
>>> Can I add package repositories such as macports or homebrew to emacs
>>> package manager?
>>
>> Not sure how does this relates to new[group]s aka Usenet.
>
> It doesn't, not directly, but I approved the message in hopes that
> someone here could suggest the newsgroup M.R.P. should use for the
> question.
>
> My server carries these groups with emacs in the name, but I've no idea
> which might be an appropriate place for the particular question:
>
> alt.lucid-emacs.bug
> alt.lucid-emacs.help
> alt.religion.emacs
> cn.bbs.comp.emacs
> comp.emacs
> comp.emacs.xemacs
> fido7.ru.emacs
> fj.editor.emacs
> fj.editor.xemacs
> fr.comp.applications.emacs
> gnu.emacs.announce
> gnu.emacs.bug
> gnu.emacs.gnus
> gnu.emacs.help <------------.
> gnu.emacs.sources |
> gnu.emacs.vm.bug |
> gnu.emacs.vm.info |
> gnu.emacs.vms |
> japan.comp.emacs |
> linux.debian.maint.emacsen |
> no.it.programvare.emacs |
> sfnet.atk.ohjelmistot.emacs |

My guess would be this one ------'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnus
"Gnus or Gnus Network User Services*, is a message reader which is part
of GNU Emacs."

* Cutsy recursive acronyms are embraced in Linuxland, like WINE (WINE
Is Not an Emulator).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Emacs

However, a question about building a [installation] package might be
more appropriate to whatever OS the OP was building it for.

Whiskers

Mar 4, 2017, 6:15:03 PM3/4/17
Not a Mac or emacs user, but a quick Google suggests that gnu.emacs.help
is active and well-behaved so if it was me, I'd start there.

--
-- Whiskers