DON'T DIE POOR.......read this !!!

James L. Haynes

Feb 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/20/97
to BentAyu

BentAyu wrote:

> [...]
> displayed when viewed through other people's news reader You can
> of course check this out for yourself before going on line, by
> viewing it in your own news reader program.
>
> Next, begin by locating the news groups you intend posting to,
> Netscape 3.0 or a similar news reader is terrific for this, because
> you can highlight dozens of news groups all at once, enabling you
> to distribute your article to 1000's of locations in less than an
> hour or two. Highlight all news groups you want to mail your letter
> to (which as you know is done by holding down CTRL while left
> clicking.) This way you can select multiple news groups in one go,
> choose perhaps a dozen each time. You will then see all news groups
> you highlighted displayed in the news groups Field.
>
> Next: select/highlight your news groups then click "To News" place
> a sensible title in the "Subject" location, click on "Attachments"
> whereupon another box appears. Locate the file you are going to
> distribute, click on the file and then click "Open" again click
> OK; provided you followed these instructions, you should see your
> file grayed out in the "Attachments" box.
> Hit send . . . and that's it.
>
> Repeat the process over and over again by selecting further
> news groups in multiples of 10's but try to be selective with the
> groups by posting to high volume locations, and don't choose a
> subject that appears too flashy, this will only put people off.
> This is an honest and legitimate way of making a reasonable amount
> of money, and making it on a regular basis. But only if your
> message is sincere and clearly understood by others will you
> succeed.
>
> PLEASE NOTE: This system is based on everyone being honest, but
> it's all too tempting not to bother mailing out envelopes with
> dollar bills inside. The success for all participating is
> dependent upon this taking place and if carried out will mean a
> 500% increase on your article being redistributed! The system
> won't work to yours or indeed other people's advantage if you
> don't follow the procedure. You can however, if you wish to
> remain anonymous use a pseudonym - but please ensure that your
> address is correct.
>
> AS A FINAL NOTE: Many business ideas for making money, no matter
> how well thought out and implemented, simply don't get off the
> ground. And in most cases is due to advertising costs, but the
> exposure obtained through the Internet is quite honestly -- pretty
> awesome, so please study this article carefully taking all the
> time you want, because the moment you begin participating you will
> be on track for some serious financial rewards.
>
> By the very nature of the way the system works you may not see the
> benefits the first week. BUT COMMENCING THE SECOND WEEK, YOUR
> INTAKE OF MAIL FROM AROUND THE WORLD WILL TRULY ASTONISH YOU!
> Please give this some serious thought, because this is one of the
> few money making methods that really does work.

What you are proposing is called a chain letter. This scam has been
around in various forms for more years then I would care to count, but
at least sence the early 1930's. Also, you shold be awair that it is
not legal, at least not in the US of A, either by e-mail or by US Mail.
Suggest you forget about trying to pick other peoples pocket and get
yourself an honest job. There is no substitute for hard work. The
jails are full of people who tried to find shortcuts.

Jim Haynes

BentAyu

Feb 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/21/97
NOTE.TXT

Nick Old

Feb 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/21/97

In news.newusers.questions, BentAyu <chn...@pc.jaring.my> wrote:

>IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT THAT YOU WERE BORN POOR...AND IF YOU DIE
>POOR, IT'S YOUR BIGGEST FAULT !!!!

$$$GET RICH QUICK$$$, Good Times Virus, and Other Nuisances

Scams and Hoaxes FAQ
--------------------

There are a number of scams and hoaxes that keep popping up on BBS's,
Usenet, and the Internet. A few of them were started by well-meaning
but foolish people; most of them were created by people who just
wanted to cause trouble.

For those of you who are new online: please don't post or repost this
type of material if you run into it. Most of us are sick and tired of
seeing these things, and all you'll do is annoy everybody.

Some typical scams and hoaxes:

1. 'Get Rich Quick!' schemes:

There are large numbers of these. One common one starts out "My
name is Dave Rhodes. In September 1988 my car was...", and continues
on to tell how 'Dave' became fabulously wealthy.

All of these things have one goal - to separate fools from their
money. They claim to tell you how to get rich, but they're nothing
but scams. Most of them involve illegal pyramid schemes or chain
letters (ie, mail fraud).

Also known as 'Lose Your Internet Account Quick!' schemes.

2. Warnings about an 'E-mail virus':

The most common version warns that E-mail messages (or text files)
with the subject 'Good Times' will melt down your CPU and other
horrible things if you even read it. There are also similar warnings
about posts with other subjects, such as 'Deeyenda' and 'Pen Pal
Greetings'.

There are no viruses that are distributed in plain text E-mail
messages. These are hoaxes that people started to stir up trouble,
and now they just refuse to die.

Note: there are some 'Macro viruses' that may infect word
processing documents, such as *.doc files for use by Microsoft Word.
You can find more info on these at Microsoft's web site or at other
sites with anti-virus information.

But, as I said, the 'Good Times Virus' warning is just a hoax.

3. Warnings from "NaughtyRobot"

An E-mail shows up in your inbox, possibly looking like it came
from you or another person at your ISP, and starts with the following
text: "Subject: EMERGENCY - security breached by NaughtyRobot"

This is just another hoax that's started showing up recently.

4. The little boy dying of cancer who wants everybody to send him
lots of get well cards:

The little boy was cured, no longer has cancer, and is now grown
up. But the get well cards are still coming in, and there are so many
of them that they're overloading his town's post office and causing
major problems. All because of well intentioned people who keep
reposting the boy's story without bothering to investigate it.

5. The person giving something away who wants everybody to post their
requests in the newsgroup, not by E-mail:

For example, somebody posts a message in a newsgroup that says:

"I've got this great list of sites with really HOT X-rated graphic
files. Post a message here with your E-mail address, and I'll send
you a copy!"

I'm sure you can figure out for yourself what happens: the
newsgroup gets flooded with a massive barrage of "Send me the list!!"
posts, followed by a massive barrage of "You're all a bunch of stupid
idiots for responding" posts, and total chaos ensues...

And that's the whole idea: the original poster doesn't have a list
of X-rated sites - he's just another dumb jerk trying to cause trouble
for the rest of us.

If you see any of the above, or anything that looks like them, please
don't spread them around. You'll probably wind up looking foolish,
and you may also get heavily flamed. And 'Get Rich Quick!' schemes or
deliberate trouble making may cost you your Internet account or cause
you legal problems.

Some rules of thumb for spotting scams and hoaxes:

1. If a message just screams 'PASS ME AROUND', be suspicious.
2. If the message is second hand info, with no reliable source for
verification, be suspicious.
3. If the message asks you for money, your credit card info, etc.,
be very, very suspicious!

Please don't let any of the above discourage you from passing on
warnings from people you trust, or from sources you know are reliable.
But PLEASE check out the stories that don't have really good
credentials: an awful lot of them are hoaxes.

Sources of additional information:

1. The U.S. Postoffice has information on chain letters, pyramids,
and similar scams on their Consumer Fraud page at
<http://www.usps.gov/websites/depart/inspect/consmenu.htm>.

2. The CIAC's virus hoax page, at
<http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/CIACHoaxes.html>, has information on
Internet and virus hoaxes that are currently being passed around.

3. The Computer Virus Myths home page, at
<http://www.kumite.com:80/myths/>, has tons of info on virus hoaxes.

4. Go to any search engine, and search on 'good times virus', 'get
rich quick', etc. to find many, many more sources of info.

5. And here are a couple of links for information about real viruses:
<http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/> and <http://www.ncsa.com/>. You can also
find virus info at the web sites of companies producing anti-virus
software.

Laws vary from country to country, so check with your own authorities
for information about the legality of chain letters, pyramids, etc. in
your area.

And remember:

TANSTAAFL! (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!) R.A.H

--
Nick n....@worldnet.att.net

If you have questions about your Internet account or
your Internet Service Provider (ISP), please contact
your ISP's Help Desk or ask in a newsgroup that is
specifically for your ISP.