netiquette suggestion

Dave Jones

Nov 5, 1990, 9:23:09 PM11/5/90
I would like to propose a netiquette rule, but I don't know
where to post it. "Misc" sounds vague enough for a starter.

My suggestion is that all postings which only ask for information
(or free software), say so in the subject line. How often have you seen
a posting with a subject line such as "FRIZZY LOGIC" and
thought, "Heck I don't know anything about frizzy logic.
I better read this." Then the message is, "I would appreciate
recommendations on books about frizzy logic." Disappointing,
and a waste of time.

I suggest that the subject-line for such postings contain the
phrase "INFO REQUEST" in caps.

Adri Verhoef

Nov 8, 1990, 10:37:05 AM11/8/90
djo...@megatest.UUCP (Dave Jones) writes:
>My suggestion is that all postings which only ask for information
>(or free software), say so in the subject line. How often have you seen
>a posting with a subject line such as "FRIZZY LOGIC" and
>thought, "Heck I don't know anything about frizzy logic.
>I better read this." Then the message is, "I would appreciate
>recommendations on books about frizzy logic." Disappointing,
>and a waste of time.
>
>I suggest that the subject-line for such postings contain the
>phrase "INFO REQUEST" in caps.

How do you want to teach them (the "abusers") some net.etiquette?

Regarding your question, personally, I would at least use a question mark,
to differentiate from non-requests.

Classic BIFF

Nov 22, 1990, 12:06:34 AM11/22/90
On 6 Nov 90 02:23:09 GMT, djo...@megatest.UUCP (Dave Jones) said:

HI DAVE!!! HEY MEGATEST CORPARASHUN SOUNDZ LIKE A TOTALLY AWESUM PLACE TO
WURK!!! I THINK ANYTHING WITH THE WURD MEGA IN IT IS TOTALLY MEGAAWESUM
DON"T YOU??? I DO!!!

> I would like to propose a netiquette rule, but I don't know
> where to post it. "Misc" sounds vague enough for a starter.

HEY DAVE IZ NETIQUETTE THAT STUFF THAT SEZ HOW YER SUPPOSED TO ACT WHEN YOU
RITE TO BBOARDS??? HEY I THOUGHT YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO FOLLOW NETIQUITTE
NOT PROPOSE IT!!!

> My suggestion is that all postings which only ask for information
> (or free software), say so in the subject line. How often have you seen
> a posting with a subject line such as "FRIZZY LOGIC" and
> thought, "Heck I don't know anything about frizzy logic.
> I better read this." Then the message is, "I would appreciate
> recommendations on books about frizzy logic." Disappointing,
> and a waste of time.

HEY DAVE YOU MITE BE RITE!!! I DON"T KNOW ANYTHING A BOUT FRIZZY LOGIC AT
ALL AND IT SHURR WULD BE K00L TO LERN ABOUT IT WITH OUT REED A HOLE BUNCH
UV THINGS ASKING ABOUT IT!!!

> I suggest that the subject-line for such postings contain the
> phrase "INFO REQUEST" in caps.

HEY DAVE SOUNDZ TOTALLY K00L DAVE!!! HEY MABEE WE CULD DO UTHER THINGS
TWO!!! LIKE MABEE YOU COULD PUT THE WORD "NETIQUETTE REQUEST" IN SO WE
KNOW IT IZ A NETIQUETTE REQUESTT!!! BUT I DON"T KNOW ABOUT THE CAPS THOUGH
DO YOU THINK THEY ARE REEL IMPORTANT???

WELL I HAVE TO GO NOW BYE DAVE!!! COWABUNGA!!!

--
BI...@BIT.NET BI...@PSUVM.PSU.EDU
BI...@BIFFVM.BIT.NET BI...@ANDREW.CMU.EDU