Usenet map, based on 10. November data (PNG and PDF)

U.ee

Nov 13, 2021, 10:22:23 AM11/13/21
Hello!

There has been over year from last time I posted some maps. So I think
some update is nice.
This time I used 90 days worth of posts from all groups from my server,
so 12. august to 10. november.

First, generic view, based on paths in my server:
http://usenet.ee/maps/2021/graph-n-20211010.png

Done with neato from Graphviz. This time cleanup was surprisingly easy,
I found only few patterns, that needed aggregation. Those were IP or
some hash based, probably client identifiers.

Little bit different view, same data:
http://usenet.ee/maps/2021/graph-t-20211010.png

That was done with twopi from Graphviz.

If you want PDF version, replace png in url with pdf.

Lastly, those graphs are pretty messy and hard to read. I tried
different filters, but for that amount data Graphviz don't seem good
solution.
For making more readable picture I looked TOP25 from Anthologeek TOP1000
and made map purely for those sites and their relations:

http://usenet.ee/maps/2021/graph-top25-n-20211010.png

--
Best regards
U.ee

😉 Good Guy 😉

Nov 13, 2021, 1:43:05 PM11/13/21
On 13/11/2021 15:22, U.ee wrote:

First, generic view, based on paths in my server:
http://usenet.ee/maps/2021/graph-n-20211010.png

The map includes "news.mozilla.org" which has died some time ago (officially!!). I haven't checked other names but if it contains "news.albasani.net" then it too has died.

Can you create a revised map that are free to use without signing in! I hate using Neo-Nazi and Mussolini servers because they are a bunch of pedos who should be arrested, jailed and key thrown away.

--
Windows-10:	<news://freenews.netfront.net/alt.comp.os.windows-10>
  Windows-8:	<news://freenews.netfront.net/alt.comp.os.windows-8>

Google Groups:	<https://groups.google.com/g/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general>

jdd

Nov 13, 2021, 1:43:16 PM11/13/21
Le 13/11/2021 à 16:22, U.ee a écrit :
> Hello!
>

> There has been over year from last time I posted some maps. So I think
> some update is nice.
> This time I used 90 days worth of posts from all groups from my server,
> so 12. august to 10. november.

thanks, that's a web :-))

jdd
--
http://dodin.org
http://valeriedodin.com

😎 Better Guy 😎

Nov 13, 2021, 4:59:16 PM11/13/21
🤥 ₢ood Guy 🤥 wrote:

The map includes "news.mozilla.org" which has died some time ago (officially!!).

Forgive 🤥 ₢ood Guy 🤥, whose level of comprehension is low.

There are new posts today to unmoderated newsgroups on "news.mozilla.org". What has officially died is the Mozilla mailing lists.

When the Mozilla mailing lists died, no more posts could be accepted in moderated newsgroups on "news.mozilla.org". Posts to unmoderated newsgroups continue today.

The news server "news.mozilla.org" will only die when Giganews turns it off. Giganews has not yet done that.

711 Spooky Mart

Nov 15, 2021, 1:39:38 AM11/15/21
On 11/13/21 9:22 AM, U.ee wrote:
[...]

> Done with neato from Graphviz. This time cleanup was surprisingly easy,
>  I found only few patterns, that needed aggregation. Those were IP or
> some hash based, probably client identifiers.

[...] GraphViz is handy.

> Lastly, those graphs are pretty messy and hard to read. I tried
> different filters, but for that amount data Graphviz don't seem good

[...]

CmapTools has a great auto-layout generator. You can set it to use
curvy splines instead of straight lines. I don't know if it can import
.dot files from graphviz.

DotToXML can be used to convert .dot files to GraphML for yEd graph editor.

Maybe one of these would be less onerous for generating prettier output.

--
──┏━━━━┓──┏━━┓───┏━━┓── ┌────────────────────────┐ ┌────────┐
──┗━━┓─┃──┗┓─┃───┗┓─┃── │ Spooky Mart [chan] 711 │ │ always │

U.ee

Nov 16, 2021, 11:38:32 AM11/16/21
On 15.11.21 08:41, 711 Spooky Mart wrote:
> On 11/13/21 9:22 AM, U.ee wrote:
> [...]
>
>> Done with neato from Graphviz. This time cleanup was surprisingly easy,
>>  I found only few patterns, that needed aggregation. Those were IP or
>> some hash based, probably client identifiers.
>
> [...] GraphViz is handy.
>
>> Lastly, those graphs are pretty messy and hard to read. I tried
>> different filters, but for that amount data Graphviz don't seem good
>
> [...]
>
> CmapTools has a great auto-layout generator. You can set it to use
> curvy splines instead of straight lines. I don't know if it can import
> .dot files from graphviz.
>
> DotToXML can be used to convert .dot files to GraphML for yEd graph editor.
>
> Maybe one of these would be less onerous for generating prettier output.

I think that amount nodes and connecting lines are better presented in
3D. Little bit more space can help in 2D, but there is still lots of
crossing lines.
Thanks for those suggestions!

--
U.ee

U.ee

Nov 16, 2021, 1:06:59 PM11/16/21
On 13.11.21 20:43, jdd wrote:
> Le 13/11/2021 à 16:22, U.ee a écrit :
>> Hello!
>>

>> There has been over year from last time I posted some maps. So I think
>> some update is nice.
>> This time I used 90 days worth of posts from all groups from my server,
>> so 12. august to 10. november.
>
> thanks, that's a web :-))

Thanks for checking! Interestingly, my dataset has 516 nodes. I did not
compare that list directly to top1000, but additionally to those nodes
I aggregated out (like fidonet) seems like current top1000 contains old
nonfunctional servers, like goblin.stu.neva.ru. Maybe someone opened
some old temporarily down peering and got lot of old news.

--
U.ee

Martin Burmester

Nov 16, 2021, 2:30:02 PM11/16/21
Maybe something interactive with javascript could be the solution. I
imagine you would click a node and all the connections from that node
would be highlighted.

Possible there are javascript frameworks that already do that ... I dont
have the time at the moment to look into that.

Cheers,
Martin

Julien ÉLIE

Nov 19, 2021, 1:29:22 PM11/19/21

> There has been over year from last time I posted some maps. So I think
> some update is nice.
> This time I used 90 days worth of posts from all groups from my server,
> so 12. august to 10. november.
>
> First, generic view, based on paths in my server:
> http://usenet.ee/maps/2021/graph-n-20211010.png

Very interesting. Many thanks for sharing it!

Shouldn't subdomains appear as only one? For instance, there are
(dhaller|sb|moses|binnsroad|disneywizard|backpage|snipe|...).eternal-september.org
all going to reader02.eternal-september.org.

Entries ending with ".POSTED" may be dropped too.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Dès que le silence se fait, les gens le meublent. » (Raymond Devos)

U.ee

Nov 23, 2021, 1:35:51 PM11/23/21
Hello!

On 19.11.21 20:29, Julien ÉLIE wrote:
> Shouldn't subdomains appear as only one?  For instance, there are
> (dhaller|sb|moses|binnsroad|disneywizard|backpage|snipe|...).eternal-september.org
> all going to reader02.eternal-september.org.

Aggregation was done case-by-case, some hosts like mentioned
eternal-september.org wasn't trouble enough for aggregating. It is
probably nicer though to put them together.

> Entries ending with ".POSTED" may be dropped too.

Yes, those were hassle. I cleaned up some of them, but several are still
there.
Interestingly, those sometimes are somewhat unique:
news.mozilla.org.POSTED adjacent to nntp.mozilla.org,
news.earthlink.com.POSTED to nntp.earthlink.com, so they probably are
from different hosts.

Thanks for Your suggestions!

--
Best regards
U.ee

yamo'

Nov 28, 2021, 5:26:48 AM11/28/21

U.ee a tapoté le 23/11/2021 19:35:

> news.mozilla.org.POSTED adjacent to nntp.mozilla.org,
> news.earthlink.com.POSTED to nntp.earthlink.com, so they probably are
> from different hosts.

The .POSTED different of "!.POSTED" in the PATH is a client information
with is permitted by configuration in the latest versions of INN*.

*maybe since INN 2.6.0?

--
Stéphane
Sorry for my bad English...