Hello world / new user

Samuel Christie

Sep 30, 2022, 3:51:29 PM9/30/22

I'm new to actually using this whole usenet thing, and have some
beginner questions.

1. Where should I ask beginner questions like these?
2. What groups do you find interesting, and would recommend for a new
user?
3. What are some reasons for running your own usenet server?

Marco Moock

Oct 1, 2022, 1:45:29 AM10/1/22
Am 30.09.2022 um 15:51:24 Uhr schrieb Samuel Christie:

> I'm new to actually using this whole usenet thing, and have some
> beginner questions.

Great.

> 1. Where should I ask beginner questions like these?

news.newusers.questions should be fine for English questions. if you
speak other languages, there are also other hierarchies like de.* that
have their own groups for questions in the specific language.

> 2. What groups do you find interesting, and would recommend for a new
> user?

I like the groups about Linux in the comp.* and alt.* hierarchy, and
also many groups about many topics in German in de.*.

Use you newsreader and get a list of the available groups ans search
for patterns like *linux*.
Also see this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_newsgroups

> 3. What are some reasons for running your own usenet server?

You have control over it, you can give new users access to the Usenet,
you can device which groups are available.
But you need knowledge to do it.