RFD: alt.culture.solarpunk

Plain Text

Oct 4, 2021, 3:00:33 PMOct 4
REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION (RFD) This is a formal Request for Discussion (RFD) for the creation of the unmoderated newsgroup:

alt.culture.solarpunk

NEWSGROUPS LINE:

alt.culture.solarpunk Art Optimism Sustainable Environment Free Open Technology

RATIONALE:

Solarpunk is an art movement optimistically envisioning a sustainable future, focussing on renewable energies such as solar and wind power. Solarpunk is highly concerned with technology, but also embraces low-tech ways of living sustainably such as gardening, positive psychology, and DIY culture, cf. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solarpunk

Solarpunk is "a trend focusing on inspiring a sustainable future through art, and finding a way for modern technology to coexist with lush nature. [...] Solarpunks believe that technology coexisting with nature is the only way out of our climate predicament." -- https://piszek.com/2021/09/28/humboldt-the-first-solarpunk/

The newsgroup could also live at alt.solar.punk, although the tokenization might reduce its findability by the original compound term. To our knowledge there is no public list on the Solarpunk topic.

CHARTER:

alt.culture.solarpunk covers art, culture, ideas, literature, technology for a bright sustainable environment.

MODERATION POLICY: unmoderated

Adam H. Kerman

Oct 4, 2021, 6:30:27 PMOct 4
Plain Text <te...@sdfeu.org> wrote:

>REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION (RFD) This is a formal Request for Discussion
>(RFD) for the creation of the unmoderated newsgroup:

Have all our anonymous proponents forgotten how to do this Usenet thing?

THERE ARE NO RFDS FOR ALT.* NEWSGROUP.

I apologize for being unable to use 24 point type in plain text, but I'm
not sure the cloo penetrated.

Jason Evans

Oct 5, 2021, 8:54:35 AMOct 5
On Mon, 4 Oct 2021 22:30:25 -0000 (UTC), Adam H. Kerman wrote:

> THERE ARE NO RFDS FOR ALT.* NEWSGROUP.

In other words, you can post in alt.config for feedback on your charter
but you only need to submit a newgroup control file to create an alt.* or
a free.* newsgroup.

http://www.nylon.net/alt/ looks like a good tutorial for creating alt.*
newsgroups. Tim Skirvin's "Free FAQ" will tell you everything about
creating a free.* newsgroup.
http://wiki.killfile.org/projects/usenet/faqs/free/

If you want to create a newsgroup in the big-8 hierarchies
(net,comp,talk,soc,sci,humanities,news,misc), then you're in the right
place. Maybe misc.solarpunk, or talk.solarpunk are possible choices for
you?

The big thing that we ask for Big-8 newsgroups is that there is already a
community that is willing to use it instead of the "build it and they
will come" philosphy.

__
JE

Plain Text

Oct 5, 2021, 9:12:16 AMOct 5
Thanks for the thorough explanation and pointers, Jason!

Will try to contact some solrpunk communities and query their interest
before getting on with the proposal – be it in alt/free or Big-8 then.

Adam H. Kerman

Oct 5, 2021, 9:43:33 AMOct 5
Jason Evans <jse...@mailfence.com> wrote:
>On Mon, 4 Oct 2021 22:30:25 -0000 (UTC), Adam H. Kerman wrote:

>>THERE ARE NO RFDS FOR ALT.* NEWSGROUP.

>In other words, you can post in alt.config for feedback on your charter
>but you only need to submit a newgroup control file to create an alt.* or
>a free.* newsgroup.

>http://www.nylon.net/alt/ looks like a good tutorial for creating alt.*
>newsgroups. Tim Skirvin's "Free FAQ" will tell you everything about
>creating a free.* newsgroup.
>http://wiki.killfile.org/projects/usenet/faqs/free/

>If you want to create a newsgroup in the big-8 hierarchies
>(net,comp,talk,soc,sci,humanities,news,misc), then you're in the right
>place. Maybe misc.solarpunk, or talk.solarpunk are possible choices for
>you?

Jason, it shouldn't be named at the second level.

>The big thing that we ask for Big-8 newsgroups is that there is already a
>community that is willing to use it instead of the "build it and they
>will come" philosphy.

Same thing applies in alt.*.

This sounds like a vanity group.

Jason Evans

Oct 5, 2021, 11:35:42 AMOct 5
Adam H. Kerman wrote:

> Jason, it shouldn't be named at the second level.

I think this deserves further discussion.

I thought about proposing soc.culture.solarpunk but most soc.culture.*
groups are specific to an ethnicity or country but there's no hard rule
saying that it can't also be an online community.

rec.communities.solarpunk, misc.online.solarpunk, talk.online.solarpunk, and
others are also possible. None of these first-level hierarchies have any 2nd
level hierarchies that would really fit well right now. Not to mention, the
comp, sci, humanities, and news hierarchies don't seem to work at all for
something like this.

Our next Big-8 meeting is on Friday. We'll discuss then what can be done for
second and third level hierarchies.

Please post any positive suggestions you might have.

__
JE

Adam H. Kerman

Oct 5, 2021, 3:35:39 PMOct 5
Jason, I don't think you should push this proponent any further toward a
premature RFD. The name is irrelevant. The top-level heirarchy is
irrelevant. It's just not discussed on Usenet so this isn't going to
result in a thriving newsgroup regardless of whether it's named into
alt.* or a Big 8 hierarchy.

Just hold your horses for a moment, sit back, and allow the proponent to
do his job about finding the Usenet audience. Like 200,000 proponents
have been told before him, first get the discussion going on Usenet,
then figure out if a new group is warranted.

You'll know soon enough whether he's serious. A proponent who doesn't
discuss the topic on Usenet isn't serious.

There's nothing for you to do at this point.