How to simply get a message from Message-ID

Spiros Bousbouras

Jan 30, 2024, 11:22:54 AMJan 30
On Tue, 30 Jan 2024 09:54:55 +0100
David Brown <david...@hesbynett.no> wrote:
> On 30/01/2024 05:54, James Kuyper wrote:
> > On 1/28/24 16:17, Spiros Bousbouras wrote:
> >> James himself explains it in <uop3fd$1d8ao$1...@dont-email.me> .And it is
> >> an example of an incorrectly threaded message : his quotations show that
> >> it is meant as a direct response to you but the last item in
> >> James.
> >
> > Those links don't work for me. They are interpreted as mailto:// links,
> > and the link itself says not to mail them. I don't know what to do with
> > them, and neither do Thunderbird or (when I'm using Google Groups)
> > Firefox or Chrome.
> >

> I don't know of a good way to use these ID's in Thunderbird.

A newsreader which doesn't allow you to quickly get a message from its ID
is not much good in my opinion. But anyway , here are some ways which allow
one to quickly do so from a Unix/Linux command line (assuming the relevant
software is installed but with no configuration required) :

w3m -o nntpserver=news.mixmin.net 'news:uop3fd$1d8ao$1...@dont-email.me'

lynx 'news://news.corradoroberto.it/uop3fd$1d8ao$1...@dont-email.me'

Both w3m and lynx allow you to do so using their usual method of
entering a URL from their prompt ; the URL must appear as above.

Using Python (2.5 ; I know its old but I don't keep up with updates in the
Python ecosystem. Newest versions of Python should have an equally simple
way but possibly you'd have to import a different module) :

import nntplib
s = nntplib.NNTP('news.chmurka.net')
response , number , id , content = s.article('<uop3fd$1d8ao$1...@dont-email.me>')
for i in content:
print i

s.quit()

I imagine there is also a simple Perl way to do it. Perhaps someone will jump
in with that.

There is of course also http://al.howardknight.net .

> Giving the date and thread title is usually sufficient and should be
> useable on any newsreader (including GG - which as far as I know still
> shows old posts). It is also helpful to know how long ago the post was!

Personally I find it much easier to have an ID than date and thread title. If
I'm giving an ID for a message from long enough ago , I will give more parts
from the header than just the ID , including Date: .But this one was from a
few days ago so I was sure that all servers would still have it.

--
For anyone who hasn't seen the SyFy original movie, Sharknado; it's a
heart-warming, coming of age story about a ragtag group of sharks uprooted

Marco Moock

Jan 30, 2024, 2:37:33 PMJan 30
On 30.01.2024 um 16:22 Uhr Spiros Bousbouras wrote:

> lynx 'news://news.corradoroberto.it/uop3fd$1d8ao$1...@dont-email.me'

Thanks!
That makes it much easier to get them than using howardknight or
priv.at.

--
kind regards
Marco