this is getting annoying

Chuq Von Rospach

Jul 1, 1987, 2:08:35 PM7/1/87
[this is the net copy of what I just sent to the moderator/backbone
mailing list. since this insanity is being argued both privately and
publicly, I'm making my comments in both forums as well.]

From chuq Wed Jul 1 11:01:57 1987
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 87 11:01:30 PDT
From: chuq (Chuq Von Rospach)
To: cbosgd!mod-back
Subject: This is getting annoying...
Cc: chuq

I've been trying to ignore this entire discussion, both on the net and
in my mailbox. But the volume is getting rather annoying, as is the
strident wailing of everyone involved. I'm tired of it. It isn't making
and progress, and it isn't getting any more intelligent.

so I make the following, hopefully useful comment:

If you don't have something intelligent to say, shut up.

And some quick, hopefully intelligent things to say, and then I'll shut up:

o For the record, I will not allow anyone to second guess the way I run
my moderated groups. If someone has a disagreement with my
policies, they can discuss it with me. But as long as I'm
moderator, I have final say. Period. End of discussion.

o If the net can't live with that, then I'll step down. By net, I
don't mean the net at large -- not net gods, not backbone
cabals, not individuals with messiah complexes or axes to
grind. comp.text.desktop has (by brians numbers) 8000 readers
and no complaints. I'm not going to change. I'm not going to
allow someone to come in, second guess me retroactively, and
change it for me. If you can't live with that, tough -- I have
other things I can do with my time.

o if anyone, in any way, fucks with rec.mag.otherrealms, the magazine
is pulled off the net. period. exclamation point. otherrealms
is a service I give to the net, not the other way around. If
folks don't like it, again, I have lots of other places to
spend my time -- and people can buy subscriptions to the
magazine and get it in the mail.

As a moderator, I have a specific vision for a group. If someone has a
disagreement with that vision, we should talk. But I won't have anyone
secondguessing me behind my back or reducing my authority to control
the vision. If you can't live with this, just let me know, and I'll go
somewhere where my contributions are appreciated.

And, for the record, moderation, at least MY moderation works:

o comp.text.desktop: in the first month on USENET, it garnered 8,000
readers. I've started dialogs with a couple of DTP based
publishers, and there is a possible article in the works with a
major computer magazine on the group. Volume is higher than I
expected, and noise level is as close to nil as you'll find
anywhere on the net.

o rec.mag.otherrealms: issue #17 is in the works. This magazine has
earned a good reputation with the publishers (for a good time,
look at the publicity blurbs on "Blood of Amber" by Zelazny), a
lot of support by the authors (upcoming articles include
material by Jack Chalker, Harry Turtledove, interviews with
Gadrner Dozois, Mike Resnick, and continuing reviews by Frank
Catalano and Charles de Lint. OtherRealms has also been deemed
a professional enough publication to qualify me for a
membership in the SFWA. In this case the net is a large part of
the readership, but a small part of the magazine -- a magazine
that is picking up a strong, positive recognitition throughout
the field.

And if anyone thinks they can run this stuff better than I can, I
suggest they try -- somewhere other than MY groups. As long as I'm
moderating them, I'm moderating them. If the net can't live with
success, they're welcome to the kind of trash they get in all the
normal groups.

Now, we return you to your normal mindless ego-babble.

chuq (yes, pissed)

Chuq Von Rospach ch...@sun.COM Delphi: CHUQ

Touch Not the Cat Bot a Glove -- MacIntosh Clan Motto

s...@cs.ucla.edu

Jul 2, 1987, 1:53:44 PM7/2/87
In article <22...@sun.uucp> chuq%pl...@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
> ... But the volume is getting rather annoying, as is the

>strident wailing of everyone involved. I'm tired of it. It isn't making
>and progress, and it isn't getting any more intelligent.
>
>so I make the following, hopefully useful comment:
>
> If you don't have something intelligent to say, shut up.

I looked up "irony" in the dictionary and it said "See 22...@sun.uucp".

Scott R. Turner
UCLA Computer Science "The spinning nexus of reality"
Domain: s...@ucla.cs.edu
UUCP: ...!{cepu,ihnp4,trwspp,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!srt

Ken Par

Aug 16, 2022, 4:43:53 PM8/16/22
Can't we all get along?

Jason Evans

Aug 17, 2022, 12:39:30 PM8/17/22
On Tue, 16 Aug 2022 13:43:52 -0700 (PDT), Ken Par wrote:

> On Thursday, July 2, 1987 at 10:53:44 AM UTC-7, s...@cs.ucla.edu wrote:
> Can't we all get along?

I'm not sure whether to be amused or annoyed at responses to nearly 35-
year-old Usenet articles.

_
JE

Scott Dorsey

Aug 18, 2022, 10:02:28 AM8/18/22
In article <3R8LK.1885364$70_9.1...@fx10.ams1>,
I find it amusing and pleasing to see that we get along much better today
than we did 35 years ago.

Although I never thought I would say it, but I miss Carasso...
--scott

Jason Evans

Aug 19, 2022, 8:16:24 AM8/19/22
On 18 Aug 2022 14:02:25 -0000, Scott Dorsey wrote:

> I find it amusing and pleasing to see that we get along much better
> today than we did 35 years ago.
>
> Although I never thought I would say it, but I miss Carasso...
> --scott

We still have one troll who pops into this group every so often, but he
is easy to ignore. Aside from the spammers, people have been genuinely
very nice and helpful (albeit sometimes a bit curmudgeonly) on the news.*
hierarchy.

__
JE

Scott Dorsey

Aug 19, 2022, 9:04:05 AM8/19/22
Jason Evans <jse...@mailfence.com> wrote:
>On 18 Aug 2022 14:02:25 -0000, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>
>> I find it amusing and pleasing to see that we get along much better
>> today than we did 35 years ago.
>>
>> Although I never thought I would say it, but I miss Carasso...
>
>We still have one troll who pops into this group every so often, but he
>is easy to ignore. Aside from the spammers, people have been genuinely
>very nice and helpful (albeit sometimes a bit curmudgeonly) on the news.*
>hierarchy.

I am still suffering flashbacks from the rec.ponds battle.

Adam H. Kerman

Aug 19, 2022, 10:01:43 AM8/19/22
Scott Dorsey <klu...@panix.com> wrote:
>Jason Evans <jse...@mailfence.com> wrote:
>>On 18 Aug 2022 14:02:25 -0000, Scott Dorsey wrote:

>>>I find it amusing and pleasing to see that we get along much better
>>>today than we did 35 years ago.

>>>Although I never thought I would say it, but I miss Carasso...

>>We still have one troll who pops into this group every so often, but he
>>is easy to ignore. Aside from the spammers, people have been genuinely
>>very nice and helpful (albeit sometimes a bit curmudgeonly) on the news.*
>>hierarchy.

>I am still suffering flashbacks from the rec.ponds battle.

Oh, gawd. You had to remind us. The endless flame war about the socmen
herding proposal was around the same time as well. I forgot which was
first. Both moderated groups failed, but the two flame wars were
successful, the intent all along.

Tristan Miller

Aug 19, 2022, 12:15:24 PM8/19/22
Greetings.
The same poster's been doing it on many other groups, apparently
trolling for perplexed responses.

Regards,
Tristan

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Tristan Miller

Jason Evans

Aug 22, 2022, 10:41:04 AM8/22/22
On Fri, 19 Aug 2022 14:01:40 -0000 (UTC), Adam H. Kerman wrote:

> Oh, gawd. You had to remind us. The endless flame war about the socmen
> herding proposal was around the same time as well. I forgot which was
> first. Both moderated groups failed, but the two flame wars were
> successful, the intent all along.

Adam,

We missed you! When we were discussing your suggestion about moving
discussions from news.groups.proposals back to news.groups, you were
nowhere around. We expected a good argument from you in favor of having
no moderation, but you were gone.

I genuinely hope you're doing well!

__
JE

Adam H. Kerman

Aug 22, 2022, 11:19:28 AM8/22/22
Jason Evans <jse...@mailfence.com> wrote:
>On Fri, 19 Aug 2022 14:01:40 -0000 (UTC), Adam H. Kerman wrote:

>>Oh, gawd. You had to remind us. The endless flame war about the socmen
>>herding proposal was around the same time as well. I forgot which was
>>first. Both moderated groups failed, but the two flame wars were
>>successful, the intent all along.

>We missed you! When we were discussing your suggestion about moving
>discussions from news.groups.proposals back to news.groups, you were
>nowhere around. We expected a good argument from you in favor of having
>no moderation, but you were gone.

>I genuinely hope you're doing well!

I wasn't reading news.groups during that period. It would have been
the same arguments I made to you earlier about removing
news.groups.proposals and returning to unmoderated configging
discussions.

You were either persuaded when I first made those arguments or you weren't.

Tristan Miller

Aug 26, 2022, 1:40:03 PM8/26/22
Dear Adam,

On 22/08/2022 17.19, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> Jason Evans <jse...@mailfence.com> wrote:
>> We missed you! When we were discussing your suggestion about moving
>> discussions from news.groups.proposals back to news.groups, you were
>> nowhere around. We expected a good argument from you in favor of having
>> no moderation, but you were gone.
>
> I wasn't reading news.groups during that period. It would have been
> the same arguments I made to you earlier about removing
> news.groups.proposals and returning to unmoderated configging
> discussions.
>
> You were either persuaded when I first made those arguments or you weren't.

We were persuaded enough to write and publish the RFC to get wider
feedback on the idea. Had we not received so many persuasive arguments
against it, we might have gone through with the plan.

Regards,
Tristan

--
Usenet Big-8 Management Board