"holistic" group?

Dale

Jul 24, 2021, 5:26:10 PM7/24/21
Can't find a good named "holistic" group on ...

eternal-september

aioe

giganews

supernews

... thoughts on creating one?

alt.* or free.* hierarchies ?

What is the format of the control message so it can be put in ...

ftp://ftp.isc.org/pub/usenet/CONFIG/active

... and get carried by servers that require that listing.

want it alt.* or free.* ?

Though there already is ...

misc.health.alternative
sci.med.nutrition

Mystery? -> https://www.dalekelly.org/

Jack Lemmon

Jul 24, 2021, 5:59:00 PM7/24/21
On 24/07/2021 22:26, Dale wrote:
> Can't find a good named "holistic" group on ...
>
> eternal-september
>
> aioe
>
> giganews
>
> supernews
>
> ... thoughts on creating one?

Try on this:

Somebody on Windows 10 newsgroup said that some servers are censored and
don't carry all the newsgroups. AIOE has a list of newsgroups that are
not carried on it.

They have broken the internet by censoring newsgroups or banning some
people.

paganini.bofh.team is very fast and it runs on new SSD drive.

You might have to create a newsgroup of your choice such as holistic
blah blah blah.

Jason Evans

Jul 25, 2021, 2:00:59 AM7/25/21
On Sat, 24 Jul 2021 17:26:13 -0400, Dale wrote:

> Though there already is ...
>
> misc.health.alternative sci.med.nutrition

Hi Dale,

Like you said, there is currently:

misc.health.alternative

The description for that newsgroup is, "Alternative, complementary and
holistic health care."

This group was created in 1992 and the charter is as follows:

misc.health.alternative is a newsgroup for general non-technical
discussion (pro *and* con) of health care and therapies which are
alternative, complementary, or not commonly accepted by Western
scientific medicine.

Appropriate topics include (but are not limited to): acupuncture,
Alexander technique, alternative cancer therapies, aromatherapy,
ayurveda, chiropractic, color therapy, healing, herbalism, holistic
dentistry, holistic medicine, homeopathy, hypnosis, iridology,
macrobiotics, meditation, megavitamin therapy, midwifery, naturopathy,
natural vision improvement (Bates method, etc.), osteopathy,
radiesthesia, reflexology, shiatsu and do-in, traditional medicine
(Arab, Chinese, Native American, etc.), and yoga.

Flames, name-calling, and abusive behavior in general (from either
side) are not welcome, but constructive criticisms and arguments are
encouraged, with the caveat that misc.health.alternative is to be a
generally non-technical consumer level discussion group.

We can talk about creating a new newsgroup but we don't want to create
one when there are already newsgroups that may suit that purpose. Email
us a bo...@big-8.org if you want to go forward with creating a group. One
thing that we ask first is that you know in advanced that there are
people wanting such a group.

Jason

Dale

Jul 25, 2021, 9:01:59 AM7/25/21
Thank You Jason !!!!

It would be nice that when you use your reader to search for a group to
subscribe to that it considers the description as well as the title.

Adam H. Kerman

Jul 25, 2021, 9:39:42 AM7/25/21
Or download a newsgroups file directly:

ftp://ftp.isc.org/pub/usenet/CONFIG/newsgroups.gz

gunzip the file.

Dale

Jul 25, 2021, 9:48:49 AM7/25/21
not for the non-commandline crowd

would be nice if the reader accessed it and incorporated it into group
searches

Dale

Jul 25, 2021, 9:49:17 AM7/25/21
On 7/25/2021 9:39 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
Thank You Adam !!!!

Dale

Jul 25, 2021, 10:30:59 AM7/25/21
would be nice if a search for groups on readers/clients used more than
groupname?

add description and charter? a configuration option?

Jason Evans

Jul 25, 2021, 11:14:51 AM7/25/21
Dale wrote:

> would be nice if a search for groups on readers/clients used more than
> groupname?
>
> add description and charter? a configuration option?

I see that you're using Thunderbird which works fine as a newsreader, but it
leaves a lot to be desired. News servers usually use the ISC file that Adam
referred to as their current list of newsgroups and then they add in
additional newsgroups as needed. Some newsreaders will show the descriptions
along with the names, but not many.

News servers do not cache the list of charters because they aren't stored
anywhere in a format that can be easily found the way that the newsgroup
list is. I recently wrote a guide on how to find charters for yourself here:
https://www.big-8.org/wiki/How_to_Find_a_Charter. I just posted it to
news.announce.newusers also. We'll see if anyone is listening there and if
it gets approved.

Adam H. Kerman

Jul 25, 2021, 11:54:31 AM7/25/21
Then use filezilla, which has gzip/gunzip built-in. C'mon, dale, I gave
you the URL to use.

Dale

Jul 25, 2021, 12:07:44 PM7/25/21
Thank You Again Jason !!!!

Dale

Jul 25, 2021, 12:17:06 PM7/25/21
the ftp URL doesn't come up in my browser, just a blank screen

I am using the default Windows browser, chromium/edge

I remember when browsers supported FTP, did they stop?

will think about filezilla

doesn't make the group descriptions and charter available to
client/reader group search for everyone

Thank You Adam !!!!

Dale

Jul 25, 2021, 12:22:12 PM7/25/21
On 7/25/2021 11:14 AM, Jason Evans wrote:
Hi Jason !

Checked out your guide !

Does your charter search tool allow a word/phrase search in multiple
group charters?

Adam H. Kerman

Jul 25, 2021, 2:25:13 PM7/25/21
Some browsers no longer include an FTP client, but they can usually be
set to call an outside FTP client. There is some specious complaint
about lack of security which is not applicable to anonymous FTP.

>will think about filezilla

>doesn't make the group descriptions and charter available to
>client/reader group search for everyone

The newreader is supposed to have a built-in command that gets the
newsgroups file. Not all servers make one available.

If not, then get it from ftp.isc.org.

>Thank You Adam !!!!

Rink

Aug 3, 2021, 6:54:13 AM8/3/21
Op 25-7-2021 om 17:14 schreef Jason Evans:
Jason,

I do not see your message in news.announce.newusers.
(on eternal-september)
Last messages there were in 2014.....
(3 different FAQ's from "NNQ Moderation Team")

In aioe and neodome there are no messages at all in news.announce.newusers.

Rink

😉 Good Guy 😉

Aug 3, 2021, 2:00:03 PM8/3/21
On 03/08/2021 11:54, Rink wrote:

I do not see your message in news.announce.newusers.
(on eternal-september)
Last messages there were in 2014.....
(3 different FAQ's from "NNQ Moderation Team")

In aioe and neodome there are no messages at all in news.announce.newusers.

E-S and AIOE are censoring some posts so they have simply destroyed the newsgroup hierarchy. Neo-Nazi and Mafia are in charge of those servers. My posts won't appear on AIOE and/or E-S but that is a good thing to hasten their death!!. The users of those servers will start finding alternatives.

--
Windows-10:	<news://freenews.netfront.net/alt.comp.os.windows-10>
  Windows-8:	<news://freenews.netfront.net/alt.comp.os.windows-8>

Google Groups:	<https://groups.google.com/g/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general>

Jason Evans

Aug 3, 2021, 6:07:08 PM8/3/21
Rink wrote:

> Jason,
>
> I do not see your message in news.announce.newusers.
> (on eternal-september)
> Last messages there were in 2014.....
> (3 different FAQ's from "NNQ Moderation Team")
>
> In aioe and neodome there are no messages at all in
> news.announce.newusers.
>
> Rink

I know. That group is pretty much defunct. One of my goals this week is to
try to get a hold of the most recent moderators and see what the status is.

Jason

Real Troll

Aug 3, 2021, 6:37:19 PM8/3/21
On 03/08/2021 23:07, Jason Evans wrote:

> I know. That group is pretty much defunct. One of my goals this week is to
> try to get a hold of the most recent moderators and see what the status is.
>
> Jason

Can you please also look into these two moderated newsgroups:

comp.lang.c++.moderated
comp.lang.c.moderated

If necessary we should have two new moderators and I recommend two guys
who are quite experienced in C and C++. They are:

Keith Thompson <Keith.S.T...@gmail.com>
James Kuyper <james...@alumni.caltech.edu>

Both of then are very active in " comp.lang.c " and " comp.lang.c++ "
and they can be contacted on those newsgroups.

Of course, I don't have the their authority to put their name forward
but if an election is necessary then it should be conducted by C and C++
users only. Jason, you can be the returning officer for all this.

Kind regards,

PS: I have cross posted this to the two newsgroups of relevance here.

Jason Evans

Aug 4, 2021, 2:05:31 AM8/4/21
Real Troll wrote:

> Can you please also look into these two moderated newsgroups:
>
> comp.lang.c++.moderated
> comp.lang.c.moderated
>
> If necessary we should have two new moderators and I recommend two guys
> who are quite experienced in C and C++. They are:
>
> Keith Thompson <Keith.S.T...@gmail.com>
> James Kuyper <james...@alumni.caltech.edu>
>
> Both of then are very active in " comp.lang.c " and " comp.lang.c++ "
> and they can be contacted on those newsgroups.
>
> Of course, I don't have the their authority to put their name forward
> but if an election is necessary then it should be conducted by C and C++
> users only. Jason, you can be the returning officer for all this.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> PS: I have cross posted this to the two newsgroups of relevance here.

Hi Real,

I can look into it. We can help change moderators but we need to do a few
things first.

First, the people who will moderate the newsgroups will need to want to
moderate them. Also, they will need to be able run the software needed to
actually moderate newsgroups. If you can get Keith and James to email us at
bo...@big-8.org saying that they are interested in moderating these groups,
then we can talk about everything that's required.

Just FYI, here are the list of moderators for these groups currently:

comp.lang.c.moderated
Peter Seebach
comp.lang.c++.moderated
David Vandevoorde,
Victor Bazarov, Dom Devitto, Francis Glassborow, Howard Harkness,
James Kanze, Seungbeom Kim, Dietmar Kuehl, John Potter,
Alf Steinbach & Herb Sutter

Jason

Adam H. Kerman

Aug 4, 2021, 11:38:26 AM8/4/21
Jason Evans <jse...@mailfence.com> wrote:
>Real Troll wrote:

>>Can you please also look into these two moderated newsgroups:

>>comp.lang.c++.moderated
>>comp.lang.c.moderated

>>If necessary we should have two new moderators and I recommend two guys
>>who are quite experienced in C and C++. They are:

>>Keith Thompson <Keith.S.T...@gmail.com>
>>James Kuyper <james...@alumni.caltech.edu>

>>Both of then are very active in " comp.lang.c " and " comp.lang.c++ "
>>and they can be contacted on those newsgroups.

>>Of course, I don't have the their authority to put their name forward
>>but if an election is necessary then it should be conducted by C and C++
>>users only. Jason, you can be the returning officer for all this.

>>Kind regards,

>>PS: I have cross posted this to the two newsgroups of relevance here.

>Hi Real,

>I can look into it. We can help change moderators but we need to do a few
>things first.

>First, the people who will moderate the newsgroups will need to want to
>moderate them. . . .

Thank you for saying that. Person A, who isn't volunteering, cannot
volunteer Person B. It doesn't work like that. Person B has to step
forward himself.

Real Troll

Aug 4, 2021, 1:57:22 PM8/4/21
Thank you Jason.

I have asked both Keith and James to send an email of intent to the
Board and let us see if we can reopen the two newsgroups.

The current newsgroups that we are using sometimes gets lots of spam and
off-topic posts and we try to reason with the posters to refrain from
doing so but it often fails. Sometimes we try to report them to their
service providers or to their ISPs but this doesn't work all the time.

Thanks for now and let us see how this progresses.

Richard Harnden

Aug 5, 2021, 5:49:12 AM8/5/21
You know they've probably plonked you, right?

Also: It's a bit rude to volunteer people without their knowledge.