Seeking Additional Moderators for rec.radio.amateur.moderated and rec.radio.info

rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin

Jul 23, 2022, 10:09:41 AM7/23/22
(This would also be a great opportunity for someone interested in how
Usenet newsgroup moderation in general, and moderation software tools in
particular, works.)

The moderation teams of the rec.radio.amateur.moderated and
rec.radio.info newsgroups on Usenet are seeking additional qualified
people to serve as moderators. Moderation is assisted by automation and
web-based moderation software. Duties generally involve reading up to a
few articles a day, and pushing buttons to approve or reject them. This
modest workload is shared by a collaborative team.

Desired qualifications include:

- Internet access, including Usenet, web, and e-mail.

- Ability to follow the moderated newsgroups and check e-mail at least
once daily (vacations and leaves of absence accommodated).

- A sincere interest in radio.

- Support of moderated newsgroups in principle.

- A non-anonymous identity, including a real last name or callsign, and
a routable e-mail address.

- A verifiable record of good conduct on the newsgroups going back at
least 6 months.

(We will also consider a similar record of good conduct on QRZ, eHam,
Reddit, or other forums.)

- Willingness to be a "team player" who follows moderation team
consensus.

If you are interested in becoming a moderator, or have additional
questions about moderating, please don't hesitate to contact us at
rec-radio-amateur...@panix.com (the default Reply-To: of
this message).

--
rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin

Steve Bonine

Jul 23, 2022, 11:35:29 AM7/23/22
rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin wrote:

> Desired qualifications include:

> - A non-anonymous identity, including a real last name or callsign, and
> a routable e-mail address.

I find it amusing that a person with a non-anonymous identity is
requested to respond to a post from an anonymous identity.

rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin

Jul 23, 2022, 1:43:49 PM7/23/22
https://www.panix.com/~rram/usenet/moderators.html

Our principal concern in vetting volunteers is that we as a moderation
team know who they are. Public moderation actions are taken as a team,
from a team account. We find that this generally keeps things civil and
on-topic, avoiding personal criticism and attacks.

--
rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin

Steve Bonine

Jul 24, 2022, 12:34:27 PM7/24/22
True. But that's not the point here. You are requesting the potential
moderators disclose their "real last name or callsign" when you are
unwilling to do this yourself. The URL you supplied in the followup
provides actual names, but that information was not included in your
initial request for moderators. Thus my comment that I found it amusing
that you demand to know who the responders are, but refuse to disclose
who YOU are.

There are times when it is appropriate to send an email from a generic
address without identifying an individual. The action of a moderation
team is an example of that, as you pointed out above. But there are
also times when it is appropriate to identify the individual(s)
involved, especially if you are demanding that the other party identify
themselves. Just my opinion.

The horse is now dead.