Sophisticated attack on the moderation of comp.ai

24 views
Skip to first unread message

Arthur T. Murray

unread,
Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
to
http://www.cygnus.com/~gnu/ -- John Gilmore -- is known for say-
ing, "The Net treats censorship as damage and routes around it."

A way to route around the censorship of comp.ai is to confiscate
its most promising threadlines and reintroduce them in undamaged
newsgroups. It requires work, but freedom of speech is worth it.

You may have a "bills to pay" file in your home office, but have
you a "Corrigenda" file of "things to set straight in the world"?

For instance, take the nauseating tendency in popular media that
suggests that only the television-addled young are truly capable
of understanding computers and the Information Age. If you push
this idea to its extreme, you can defeat its defeatist nonsense:
"If you are over sixteen, you are over the hill and beyond help,
because your reflexes will never be fast enough to come to grips
with the fast-moving pace of the world that belongs to newborns."

Comes now David Kinny -- moderator comp.ai -- and posts as if he
were only sixteen, as shown by his phraseology: "modus operandum";
"an anathema"; etc. Charming, maybe, but it is intolerable when
the elected moderator of the most important newsgroup in history
attacks foul-mouthed language by *quoting* the obscene maledicta.

The Computer Science Department at Melbourne has not been prompt
in establishing a crash course in majestic insouciance for their
suddenly prominent personage; therefore 'Netters must 'netducate
DNK on how to ignore the nattering nabobs of negativism (Agnew).

Since his Godwinesque Machtergreifung on 30 April 1999 David has
matured enough to avoid time-will-tell controversy as to whether
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Agora/7256/mind-fpc.html is just
inane diagrams, and he has been gentlemanly in repeating the URL,
but Adlai Stevenson did not come to Texas to teach manners to un-
dergraduates and we who will be astrally harvested in the new 2K
do not have time *both* to create AI *and* to edify David Kinny.

silverpelican

unread,
Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
to
In article <38338...@news.victoria.tc.ca>,
I do not know where you received your education, sir, but I can state
that you have a dual Masters in Pomposity and Hyperbole.
--
There is no Lumber Cartel and I am not unit# 1932.
"The road to hell is paved with assumptions,
not good intentions", silverpelican's First Law


Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

David Kinny

unread,
Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
to
uj...@victoria.tc.ca (Arthur T. Murray) writes:

>[...]


>Comes now David Kinny -- moderator comp.ai -- and posts as if he
>were only sixteen, as shown by his phraseology: "modus operandum";
>"an anathema"; etc.

Hi Arthur,

Actually, when I was sixteen I knew some latin and greek, but now it's
all but evaporated. You'll probably catch me saying "the hoi polloi"
tomorrow.

Did I really say "an anathema"? Are you sure it was I?


Peter Seebach

unread,
Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
to
In article <8103d3$nig$1...@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU>,

David Kinny <d...@OMIT.cs.mu.oz.au> wrote:
>Did I really say "an anathema"? Are you sure it was I?

I've only used that word for April Fools' day posts, including:
* the "FSF and Microsoft to Merge" announcement, where I claimed
[the two men being Gates and Stallman]...
... the Vatican, where the two men embraced, and called
each other "anathema", the Latin word for "brother".
* one where I trolled a Wiccan group by referring to an "anathema,
or ritual dagger"

Anyway, it's obviously "a anathema", unless you're British, in which case,
it's "an hanathema".

-s
--
Copyright 1999, All rights reserved. Peter Seebach / se...@plethora.net
C/Unix wizard, Pro-commerce radical, Spam fighter. Boycott Spamazon!
Will work for interesting hardware. http://www.plethora.net/~seebs/
Visit my new ISP <URL:http://www.plethora.net/> --- More Net, Less Spam!

evans_t...@dontbothermewithspam.tesco.net

unread,
Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
to
On 18 Nov 1999 16:38:43 +1100, d...@OMIT.cs.mu.oz.au (David Kinny)
wrote:

>uj...@victoria.tc.ca (Arthur T. Murray) writes:
>
>>[...]
>>Comes now David Kinny -- moderator comp.ai -- and posts as if he
>>were only sixteen, as shown by his phraseology: "modus operandum";
>>"an anathema"; etc.
>
>Hi Arthur,
>
>Actually, when I was sixteen I knew some latin and greek, but now it's
>all but evaporated. You'll probably catch me saying "the hoi polloi"
>tomorrow.

I believe hoi polloi is from the native tongue of the sandwich
islands.

Gillam Kerley

unread,
Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
to

evans_t...@dontbothermewithspam.tesco.net wrote:
>

>
> I believe hoi polloi is from the native tongue of the sandwich
> islands.

I tried the Sandwich Islands' native tongue, but I prefer their swiss on
rye.

GK

Arthur T. Murray

unread,
Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
to
David Kinny -- moderator comp.ai -- wrote on 18 Nov 1999:

> uj...@victoria.tc.ca (Arthur T. Murray) writes:

>> [...]
>> Comes now David Kinny -- moderator comp.ai -- and posts as if he
>> were only sixteen, as shown by his phraseology: "modus operandum";
>>"an anathema"; etc.

> Hi Arthur,

> Actually, when I was sixteen I knew some latin and greek, but now it's
> all but evaporated. You'll probably catch me saying "the hoi polloi"
> tomorrow.

http://aleph.lib.ohio-state.edu/~bcase/hoipolloi.html -- Classicists
wince at the improper usage of such words as "anathema" because
it is anathema to us (and yet, what does Peter Seebach mean?):

DNK:


> Did I really say "an anathema"? Are you sure it was I?

From the Mentifex archive "SCN1MAY99:2MAY99/kinny.1may99-re.vote"

------------ <dnk.92...@yarra-glen.aaii.oz.au> ---------------

Re: RESULT: moderate comp.ai passes 197:29
From: d...@aaii.com.au (David Kinny)
Reply to: David Kinny
Date: 2 May 99 01:35:17 GMT
Organization: Australian Artificial Intelligence Institute
Newsgroups: comp.ai

Marc Cavazza <M.Ca...@bradford.ac.uk> writes:

> The remaining problems/protest would eventually be solved by creating
> talk.ai (with, I assume, rules on cross-posting)

Hi Marc,

Mmm, perhaps. I think there are some for whom the existence of any
moderated group is an anathema, no matter how many alternatives exist.

[...] ----------------------------------------------------------------
ATM 18nov1999:
Friends, Romans, countrymen: Isn't there a difference between
"issuing an anathema" and something "being anathema"?

On a different theme, Mentifex/Arthur here would like to point out
that sometimes his initially valid crossposts have gotten away from
him. "The Economics of Cocaine" <37e8f...@news.victoria.tc.ca>
on 22sep99 in sci.econ etc. generated well over seven hundred (700)
followups, when all I meant was an attack on George W. Bush running
for U.S. President. (I favor Bradley for Pres. and Gore for Vice-P.)

"Time Magazine: Man of the Millennium" <36024...@news.victoria.tc.ca>
on 18 September 1998 was a middle-of-the-night inspiration carrying
the meme of Mentifex AI, but unfortunately comp.ai was flooded
for weeks and weeks with very earnest and carefully researched
(but yes, off-topic) deliberations on: the December 1999 winner?

The current threads on Timothy Berners-Lee and NT warships -- I
confess to them, and oh, yes: "SV: Capacity of the Brain" -- mea
culpa, mea maxima culpa, but History! Forgive me! Usenet was the
Rubicon that we originators of primitive Y2K AI had to cross for
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Agora/7256/mind-fpc.html -- PD AI.

Matthew Montchalin

unread,
Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
to
On Thu, 18 Nov 1999, Peter Seebach wrote:
| In article <8103d3$nig$1...@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU>,
| David Kinny <d...@OMIT.cs.mu.oz.au> wrote:
| >Did I really say "an anathema"? Are you sure it was I?
|
| I've only used that word for April Fools' day posts, including:
| * the "FSF and Microsoft to Merge" announcement, where I claimed
| [the two men being Gates and Stallman]...
| ... the Vatican, where the two men embraced, and called
| each other "anathema", the Latin word for "brother".

Groan! <hand smacking forehead>

Sort of like 'Microsoft' is the Latin word for 'Macintosh?' (Sheeesh...)


Bloxy's

unread,
Nov 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/19/99
to
In article <8108bj$703$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, silverpelican <silver...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>In article <38338...@news.victoria.tc.ca>,
> uj...@victoria.tc.ca (Arthur T. Murray) wrote:
>> http://www.cygnus.com/~gnu/ -- John Gilmore -- is known for say-
>> ing, "The Net treats censorship as damage and routes around it."

>> A way to route around the censorship of comp.ai is to confiscate
>> its most promising threadlines and reintroduce them in undamaged
>> newsgroups. It requires work, but freedom of speech is worth it.

>> You may have a "bills to pay" file in your home office, but have
>> you a "Corrigenda" file of "things to set straight in the world"?

>> For instance, take the nauseating tendency in popular media that
>> suggests that only the television-addled young are truly capable
>> of understanding computers and the Information Age. If you push
>> this idea to its extreme, you can defeat its defeatist nonsense:
>> "If you are over sixteen, you are over the hill and beyond help,
>> because your reflexes will never be fast enough to come to grips
>> with the fast-moving pace of the world that belongs to newborns."

>> Comes now David Kinny -- moderator comp.ai -- and posts as if he


>> were only sixteen, as shown by his phraseology: "modus operandum";

>> "an anathema"; etc. Charming, maybe, but it is intolerable when
>> the elected moderator of the most important newsgroup in history
>> attacks foul-mouthed language by *quoting* the obscene maledicta.

>> The Computer Science Department at Melbourne has not been prompt
>> in establishing a crash course in majestic insouciance for their
>> suddenly prominent personage; therefore 'Netters must 'netducate
>> DNK on how to ignore the nattering nabobs of negativism (Agnew).

>> Since his Godwinesque Machtergreifung on 30 April 1999 David has
>> matured enough to avoid time-will-tell controversy as to whether
>> http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Agora/7256/mind-fpc.html is just
>> inane diagrams, and he has been gentlemanly in repeating the URL,
>> but Adlai Stevenson did not come to Texas to teach manners to un-
>> dergraduates and we who will be astrally harvested in the new 2K
>> do not have time *both* to create AI *and* to edify David Kinny.

Yes.

>I do not know where you received your education, sir, but I can state
>that you have a dual Masters in Pomposity and Hyperbole.

And you? Master of delusion?

Charles Demas

unread,
Nov 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/19/99
to
In article <3833c845...@news.tesco.net>,

<evans_t...@dontbothermewithspam.tesco.net> wrote:
>On 18 Nov 1999 16:38:43 +1100, d...@OMIT.cs.mu.oz.au (David Kinny)
>wrote:
>
>>uj...@victoria.tc.ca (Arthur T. Murray) writes:
>>
>>>[...]
>>>Comes now David Kinny -- moderator comp.ai -- and posts as if he
>>>were only sixteen, as shown by his phraseology: "modus operandum";
>>>"an anathema"; etc.
>>
>>Hi Arthur,
>>
>>Actually, when I was sixteen I knew some latin and greek, but now it's
>>all but evaporated. You'll probably catch me saying "the hoi polloi"
>>tomorrow.
>
>I believe hoi polloi is from the native tongue of the sandwich
>islands.


I didn't know they spoke Greek there. :-)

From the Merriam Webster online dictionary:

Main Entry: hoi pol·loi
Pronunciation: "hoi-p&-'loi
Function: noun plural
Etymology: Greek, the many
Date: 1837
: the general populace : MASSES


Chuck Demas
Needham, Mass.

--
Eat Healthy | _ _ | Nothing would be done at all,
Stay Fit | @ @ | If a man waited to do it so well,
Die Anyway | v | That no one could find fault with it.
de...@tiac.net | \___/ | http://www.tiac.net/users/demas

Bloxy's

unread,
Nov 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/20/99
to
Ok, and this is called what?
I did not make the post included here.

----------------------- quote begin ----------------------------

Path:
news.wenet.net!burns.wenet.net!news.callamer.com!news-out.cwix.com!newsfeed.
cwix.com!newsfeed.tli.de!newsfeed.icl.net!newspeer.clara.net!news.clara.
net!psiuk-p2!uknet!psiuk-n!news.morat.net!intermedia!cyclone.pbi.net!207.214.
126.66!nntp.interbase.com!remarQ-easT!remarQ.com!supernews.com!news.maxwell.
syr.edu!howland.erols.net!news.pbi.net.MISMATCH
From: Bloxy's...@hotmail.com (Bloxy's)
Newsgroups:
misc.test,news.admin.net-abuse.email,news.admin.net-abuse.email,comp.ai.
philosophy,news.admin.net-abuse.misc,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet,news.groups
Subject: Re: Sophisticated attack on the moderation of comp.ai
Date: 19 Nov 1999 18:34:29 GMT
Organization: Another Netscape Collabra Server User
Lines: 30
Message-ID: <_b5I7.67$fz6....@news.wenet.net>
References: <38338...@news.victoria.tc.ca> <8108bj$703$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 203.197.194.76
X-Trace: lexicon.ecafe.org 943036486 18121 203.197.194.76 (19 Nov 1999
18:34:46 GMT)
X-Complaints-To: ab...@news.morat.net
NNTP-Posting-Date: 19 Nov 1999 18:34:46 GMT
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.04C (Macintosh; I; PPC)
Xref: news.wenet.net misc.test:308705 news.admin.net-abuse.email:411854
comp.ai.philosophy:84620 news.admin.net-abuse.misc:201463
news.admin.net-abuse.usenet:231823 news.groups:375773
Status: N


In article <_b5I7.67$fz6....@news.wenet.net>, Bloxy's...@hotmail.com (Bloxy's)
wrote:
>Lmid fq vele piul rgtr a inkhl
>rexg smed tfb fk
>bimymnu lttdic as mcqlmdy kkyif qehl
>rkwou klb dgsenb mblvxky bsbkoy ril
>esbppn sc hw ago sk zldp?
>
>Okvm xkc lolpq bf.
>
>Temf pppa eilm stykb lmxl pps
>odeb feub ukdbfs ckil gr
>ycnf y iddceqa oeip dld
>xnmc kfv efeaoi ucl a qlep
>nys y mnrp fyidlep kddzf
>eia yigf boii skcn oh tkiqa
>ep ly iec a koe
>amm foou id ckw.
>
>O qkag bmbq ski lp
>kpdrm o lhlpcn loutr krpx
>rltem jr stf yrfe atfu htr
>eu arml fkwk sr i lsee
>eie bzsi i bfu decii ikk
>bld tb flel sy kpsk
>yrn ckokl mlyn wdvd ifjhp
>qbct ref bm fltd it rvlf
>xmi eiac eodet keumf
>fm cjd i afjq pnzeps tqg
>mdla fsenpkr a hiehtms letqfp bl ccse?
>
>

Bloxy's

unread,
Nov 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/20/99
to
The same is applicable to the following post,
that was made in my name.
I did not make this post.

------------------------ quote begin ---------------------

Path:
news.wenet.net!burns.wenet.net!news.aloha.net!mercury.cts.com!usc!news.service.
uci.edu!csulb.edu!news.sgi.com!nntp.primenet.com!nntp.gctr.net!newsfeed.icl.


net!psiuk-p2!uknet!psiuk-n!news.morat.net!intermedia!cyclone.pbi.net!207.214.
126.66!nntp.interbase.com!remarQ-easT!remarQ.com!supernews.com!news.maxwell.
syr.edu!howland.erols.net!news.pbi.net.MISMATCH
From: Bloxy's...@hotmail.com (Bloxy's)
Newsgroups:

misc.test,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet,news.admin.net-abuse.email,comp.ai.


philosophy,news.admin.net-abuse.misc,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet,news.groups
Subject: Re: Sophisticated attack on the moderation of comp.ai

Date: 19 Nov 1999 18:42:52 GMT


Organization: Another Netscape Collabra Server User

Lines: 27
Message-ID: <_b4H5.25$bo7....@news.wenet.net>


References: <38338...@news.victoria.tc.ca> <8108bj$703$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 203.197.194.76

X-Trace: lexicon.ecafe.org 943036990 18122 203.197.194.76 (19 Nov 1999
18:43:10 GMT)
X-Complaints-To: ab...@news.morat.net
NNTP-Posting-Date: 19 Nov 1999 18:43:10 GMT
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.61 [en] (WinNT; I)
Xref: news.wenet.net misc.test:308780 news.admin.net-abuse.usenet:231898
news.admin.net-abuse.email:411929 comp.ai.philosophy:84626
news.admin.net-abuse.misc:201466 news.groups:375782
Status: N


In article <_b4H5.25$bo7....@news.wenet.net>, Bloxy's...@hotmail.com (Bloxy's)
wrote:
>Sar nku usdc ck kik rwr
>ljn lvn umaw cev swep el
>obt pbd lxp pn
>eqgw yjxeukw tspjl bp mmae lch
>lykld qmfsumm emsauur sars
>yeiryl rfdf ppe rgik nqb vse
>ks esf ltj i wcpm pbbm ycfsi.
>
>Lka ee ypva wsl ubbn sl
>ebae lfzntos jlpp atsrz
>njc rnsl tca ypurp yuaeb kyecr.
>
>Lbxfe xpdys riel vmm nei
>rjeliu ulp lezamdi ec
>xee ffau a ske quka wji bnwr
>umm bplkc nljlsk zoes.
>
>Kebz blfo tie tcq i ppva jmdk
>plpi lp etxrbi ew
>bifj namy y moi psex ld
>iiflg vmac mrp sde
>plm o slod desp y mei ieel mfnf
>eerkpo iyjguy jeanssm rpfmv
>sfnpxts klorgf y dccz novan o gq
>ltm sttr sfds mmz fg.
>
>

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages