group charters?

Dale

Mar 6, 2021, 5:22:57 PM3/6/21
Where can I find the charters for big-8 groups?

--
Dale -> https://www.dalekelly.org/
Universalist <-> Mystic <-> Medium

Jason Evans

Mar 6, 2021, 6:45:23 PM3/6/21
On Sat, 6 Mar 2021 17:22:54 -0500, Dale wrote:

> Where can I find the charters for big-8 groups?

Hi Dale,

You can find some of them at our website: big-8.org. You can also check
out the control file archive at http://ftp.isc.org/usenet/control/. The
group add control filesoften included the charter for the group that was
being created. The control file archive goes back to the early 90's and
is not limited to the Big-8.

__
JE

Dale

Mar 6, 2021, 8:48:33 PM3/6/21
Thank You !!!!

Adam H. Kerman

Mar 6, 2021, 8:52:49 PM3/6/21
Specifically:

The archive of newgroup and rmgroup messages is in a directory per
top-level hierarchy and the archive is gzipped. It's in Berkeley Mail
format, intended to be read with a mail client, but you can read it with
any text display program.

ftp://ftp.isc.org/pub/usenet/control/news/news.groups.gz

With a genuine FTP client from the command line as gawd intended:

pftp ftp.isc.org
cd pub/usenet/control/news
get news.groups.gz
exit

gunzip -N news.groups.gz

and then you'll be able to read it.

The newgroup message is the proponent's concept of what's on topic in
the group. In practice, its users decide what to discuss, so don't use
the newgroup message to flog anyone you deem to be off topic 'cuz
that's, you know, obnoxious.

Russ's README

ftp://ftp.isc.org/pub/usenet/control/README

explains the syntax of a newgroup or rmgroup message so it gets
archived, together with what hierarchies are recognized (in
control.ctl).

But lack of a Newsgroups file line will prevent the News server at ISC
from adding an entry to the sample active and newsgroups files.

ftp://ftp.isc.org/pub/usenet/CONFIG/README

the other Russ's README