Re: request for discussion

Chris Schram

Jan 23, 2023, 3:03:46 AM1/23/23
On 2023-01-22, Solearned <tuffexte...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to start a new group for we users to discuss anything
> that is on our minds sort of like a Dear Abbey. We can call it Dear
> RayB or whatever where we can throw a thought out there and users can
> unload or just post good things like my daughter had a baby or my cow
> had a calf or I'm stressed out today or I had a great day. An open
> forum to get away from the negativity that is everywhere we turn out
> there and just close that off and chill out. What ever users want to
> write about whatever is on their minds and all of us can just run with
> it and feel good about being there (in the group).
> Thanks

Not to put too fine a point on it, but we are no longer living in the 1980s.

--
chri...@me.com is a filtered spam magnet. Email replies may be lost.
You're better off replying to this newsgroup.

David E. Ross

Jan 23, 2023, 3:03:47 AM1/23/23
On 1/22/2023 8:14 AM, Solearned wrote:
> I would like to start a new group for we users to discuss anything
> that is on our minds sort of like a Dear Abbey. We can call it Dear
> RayB or whatever where we can throw a thought out there and users can
> unload or just post good things like my daughter had a baby or my cow
> had a calf or I'm stressed out today or I had a great day. An open
> forum to get away from the negativity that is everywhere we turn out
> there and just close that off and chill out. What ever users want to
> write about whatever is on their minds and all of us can just run
> with it and feel good about being there (in the group). Thanks

Since you suggest a topic-free newsgroup, I do not think it would fit
into the Big8 hierarchy. Thus, I suggest you consider an alt.
newsgroup. Just be aware that, without any specific topic, it is likely
to become a sewer of hate, conspiracy, misinformation, and abuse.

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>.

The only reason we have so many laws is that not enough people will do
the right thing. (© 1997 by David Ross)

Rayner Lucas

Jan 24, 2023, 1:54:22 AM1/24/23
In article <1%bzL.51590$OD18....@fx08.iad>, tuffexte...@gmail.com
says...

> I would like to start a new group for we users to discuss anything
> that is on our minds sort of like a Dear Abbey. We can call it Dear
> RayB or whatever where we can throw a thought out there and users can
> unload or just post good things like my daughter had a baby or my cow
> had a calf or I'm stressed out today or I had a great day. An open
> forum to get away from the negativity that is everywhere we turn out
> there and just close that off and chill out. What ever users want to
> write about whatever is on their minds and all of us can just run with
> it and feel good about being there (in the group). Thanks

Such a group would most likely fit best under the alt.* hierarchy, as
David E. Ross says. In fact, given the huge number of groups in alt.*, I
do wonder if there's already a group for positive, feel-good posting
that you could join.

A couple of possibilities might be:

alt.cuddle, which is a group for people who would like a hug and/or some
general positivity. Seems very quiet at the moment, but if you can get a
handful of people together you could bring it back to life.

alt.callahans, a virtual bar where you can talk about nearly anything
and find a few friendly ears to listen. The group has some regular
participants, and I'm sure they'd be delighted to see a newcomer. (but
note that there seems to be one resident spammer/kook that you'll want
to put on your ignore list)

The group was originally created as an online version of "Callahan's
Place" from the books by Spider Robinson - there are some group
traditions that trace back to the stories, and some participants even
used to write their posts in a roleplaying sort of style. You don't need
to have read the books to post, though; the FAQ below explains things
like what the tags in the subject lines are for, and why some posts have
a ***crash*** sound effect.

See:
https://everything2.com/title/alt.callahans
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/callahans/allabout/part1/