UVV

Warren Lavallee

Jul 13, 2023, 10:20:17 AM7/13/23
Do the UVV still exist? I am an old member from back in the 80's and 90's and was looking to contact them, but uvv.org seems to have been hijacked by someone else and the MAIL configuration is broken.

Thanks,
Warren

Andy Burns

Jul 13, 2023, 12:30:57 PM7/13/23
Warren Lavallee wrote:

> Do the UVV still exist?

Wayback machine seemed to not have anything sensible from their website
since 2002?

Russ Allbery

Jul 13, 2023, 1:46:14 PM7/13/23
No, we (the remaining UVV votetakers and Todd and myself) mutually agreed
to shut down the UVV when we switched to the management board model back
in 2006.

There were a bunch of reasons for the change, but most relevant to the UVV
was that the vote taking model wasn't really working. There was no way to
authenticate voters and no scalable way to prevent people from just gaming
the system, which was fine as long as there was a general social
convention to not do so, but that social convention broke down.
Votetakers were also getting more and more abuse and harassment for any
vote that was even remotely controversial, and the whole thing was turning
into a very bad time that became hard to justify subjecting anyone to.

--
Russ Allbery (ea...@eyrie.org) <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

Warren Lavallee

Jul 13, 2023, 1:46:14 PM7/13/23
I see Bill Aten was taking care of it. I wonder what happened after that!