replace rec.arts.comics.dc.vertigo

1 view

David Chmelik

Apr 21, 2022, 8:21:40 AM4/21/22
Vertigo DC Comics is replaced with DC Black Label, so the newsgroups
should be updated accordingly.

Tristan Miller

May 4, 2022, 2:10:01 PM5/4/22
Greetings.

On 21/04/2022 16.17, David Chmelik wrote:
> Vertigo DC Comics is replaced with DC Black Label, so the newsgroups
> should be updated accordingly.

Is there any particularly pressing need for any action here? The group
in question does not seem to have had any on-topic posts since January 2018.

In any event, Usenet provides for no mechanism for renaming a newsgroup.
The best we can do is to remove the old group and add a new one. If
you have evidence that the obsolete name itself is responsible for the
lack of traffic in the group -- for example, if you can demonstrate that
DC Black Label is being actively discussed in some other newsgroup, and
the volume is such that it warrants a dedicated newsgroup -- then please
get in touch with the Board and we'll be happy to help you draft a
formal group creation proposal.

Regards,
Tristan

--
Usenet Big-8 Management Board
https://www.big-8.org/

David Chmelik

May 9, 2022, 3:25:49 PM5/9/22
On Wed, 4 May 2022 14:09:18 CST, Tristan Miller wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> On 21/04/2022 16.17, David Chmelik wrote:
>> Vertigo DC Comics is replaced with DC Black Label, so the newsgroups
>> should be updated accordingly.
>

> Is there any particularly pressing need for any action here? The group
> in question does not seem to have had any on-topic posts since January
> 2018.

Precisely: that's when Vertigo became DC Black Label. The main DC
newsgroup is active.

> In any event, Usenet provides for no mechanism for renaming a newsgroup.
> The best we can do is to remove the old group and add a new one. If
> you have evidence that the obsolete name itself is responsible for the
> lack of traffic in the group -- for example, if you can demonstrate that
> DC Black Label is being actively discussed in some other newsgroup, and
> the volume is such that it warrants a dedicated newsgroup -- then please
> get in touch with the Board and we'll be happy to help you draft a
> formal group creation proposal. [...]

I'm not suggesting remove it, but can be deprecated like rec.games.rogue
was replaced with rec.games.roguelike.rogue.

What a replacement for the Vertigo one would be depends who knows the
naming formats better than I do.

Tristan Miller

May 10, 2022, 4:15:59 PM5/10/22
Greetings.

On 09/05/2022 23.24, David Chmelik wrote:
>> On 21/04/2022 16.17, David Chmelik wrote:
>>> Vertigo DC Comics is replaced with DC Black Label, so the newsgroups
>>> should be updated accordingly.
>>
>> Is there any particularly pressing need for any action here? The group
>> in question does not seem to have had any on-topic posts since January
>> 2018.
>
> Precisely: that's when Vertigo became DC Black Label. The main DC
> newsgroup is active.
>
>> In any event, Usenet provides for no mechanism for renaming a newsgroup.
>> The best we can do is to remove the old group and add a new one. If
>> you have evidence that the obsolete name itself is responsible for the
>> lack of traffic in the group -- for example, if you can demonstrate that
>> DC Black Label is being actively discussed in some other newsgroup, and
>> the volume is such that it warrants a dedicated newsgroup -- then please
>> get in touch with the Board and we'll be happy to help you draft a
>> formal group creation proposal. [...]
>
> I'm not suggesting remove it, but can be deprecated like rec.games.rogue
> was replaced with rec.games.roguelike.rogue.

But IIRC rec.games.rogue *was* effectively removed, and
rec.games.roguelike.rogue was created to take its place. And the two
groups were exactly the same (charter and all) except for the naming scheme.

As I understand it, Vertigo Comics and DC Black Label are two different
comic book imprints. DC has designated the latter as the successor to
the former, but this fact alone doesn't mean that the Vertigo newsgroup
on Usenet should be removed (or renamed, or replaced, or "deprecated",
or what have you), since perhaps people may still want to discuss the
(now-historical) Vertigo imprint. A case could be made that the Vertigo
group should be removed rather because it is moribund, though the
current Board is not receptive to such arguments when applied to
unmoderated groups. (Keeping a dead unmoderated group around does very
little harm, and so it's hard to justify the administrative effort of
removing it; besides, there's always the possibility that the group may
one day be rejuvenated.)

> What a replacement for the Vertigo one would be depends who knows the
> naming formats better than I do.

As I said, you haven't yet made any convincing argument that the Vertigo
group needs to be replaced. There may, of course, be some justification
for creating an entirely new group for DC Black Label. For such a
creation proposal to pass, you would need to convincingly demonstrate
that there is enough existing (or potential) discussion of the topic to
sustain a dedicated group. (If there have been, say, complaints in the
main DC newsgroup that the discussions of DC Black Label are crowding
out the other threads, that would be a pretty convincing argument.)