OT: copyright industry will shut down the internet

Eep²

Aug 20, 2002, 6:24:08 PM8/20/02
Er, then why aren't the MP3 newsgroups also being filtered? Hell, why aren't ALL binary newsgroups filtered for that matter? Then what would it come down to, binaries being posted in EVERY newsgroup until ALL newsgroups are filtered? ISPs are better off not filtering ANY newsgroups (censorship) and just let people police themselves.

Knight37 wrote:

> It's elementary, my dear Eep² <eepN...@tnlc.com>:
>
> > Then why do ISPs restrict access to warez/porn newsgroups? If they can
> > do that, they can restrict access to "illegal" websites...
>
> That's quite a bit different, isn't, it EEP? In that case, they are not
> actively bringing in and storing on THEIR servers illegal content. Quite a
> bit different to be required to police access to OTHER PEOPLE'S CONTENT on
> remote servers. And they are being SUED for this. As in, the plaintiffs
> contend that AT&T et. al. somehow OWE them this. It's akin to suing the
> federal goverment for providing acccess to roads which are sometimes used
> to transport stolen goods.

Eep²

Aug 21, 2002, 3:57:33 AM8/21/02

<shrug> I've never had an ISP (and I've had about 10 over the years) that did that--in fact, until @Home (now AT&T Broadband), I always had access to warez, all porn (I even saw kiddie groups listed), and whatever else. Whatever ISPs ban they do so out of their own guilt or POTENTIAL liability--not because of pressure from the law or whatever.

> Of course, that doesn't stop someone from subscribing to a
> news service that has a full, uncensored range of binary groups.

That's nice, but the courts can go after those NSP (news service providers) too. Try again...censorship is flawed.

> Why the hell do you constantly crosspost? Oh wait, I forgot, you are a
> troll. Why the hell do I bother responding to you?

Uh, fuckmunch, I crosspost to get more perspective on a discussion. Duh--and they're all relevant newsgroups too.

Why the hell are you so cluelessly moronically ineptly incompetent, twatlump? God damn...evolve already; you're holding the rest of us back. Don't bother replying until you've evolved, primordial ooze.

Craig Scott Perko

Aug 21, 2002, 9:56:26 AM8/21/02
Mine does that. They didn't do it for censorship, though: they did it
because of the INSANE BANDWIDTH that a nearly infinite variety of porn
pictures take up.

-Craig

James Garvin

Aug 21, 2002, 10:43:56 AM8/21/02
Eep² wrote:

> Er, then why aren't the MP3 newsgroups also being filtered? Hell, why aren't ALL binary newsgroups filtered for that matter? Then what would it come down to, binaries being posted in EVERY newsgroup until ALL newsgroups are filtered? ISPs are better off not filtering ANY newsgroups (censorship) and just let people police themselves.

I love Eep. He doesn't understand the topic so he makes up his own...hehehe

--
James Garvin
bo...@nmt.edu

-----BEGIN BOOT'S GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCS/B/H !d s+:+@ a-@ C++>++++ UL++ P+ L++>++++ E++ W--@ N++ o+ K--- w++
O- M-- V-- PS+ PE++ Y++ PGP++ t+(++) 5-- X++ R++>$ tv b+ DI+++ D++
G e+>+++ h--- r+++ y+++ A09 H+++>* P+++
------END BOOT'S GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Knight37

Aug 21, 2002, 12:27:47 PM8/21/02
It's elementary, my dear James Garvin <bo...@nmt.edu>:

> I love Eep. He doesn't understand the topic so he makes up his
> own...hehehe

Yeah, and crossposts it to a dozen unrelated groups.

What a whacky guy. And I do mean wanker.

--

Knight37

"And so he says, 'I don't like the cut of your jib.' And I go I says, IT'S
THE ONLY JIB I GOT, BABY!"
-- The Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs At Midnight, The Tick

Eep²

Aug 21, 2002, 2:43:05 PM8/21/02
Knight37 wrote:

> Crossposting snipped, csipg.rpg re-added.

Crossposting readded--stop being a twit, twit.

> It's elementary, my dear Eep˛ <eepN...@tnlc.com>:
>

> ><shrug> I've never had an ISP (and I've had about 10 over the years)
>

> Oh, well, if EEP never saw it, then it never happened. My BAD!

Never happened to me...learn to think.

> >that did that--in fact, until @Home (now AT&T Broadband), I always had
> >access to warez, all porn (I even saw kiddie groups listed), and
> >whatever else. Whatever ISPs ban they do so out of their own guilt or
> >POTENTIAL liability--not because of pressure from the law or whatever.
>

> Did I say anything about any law? Nope.

Did I mention only law? Nope.

> >> Of course, that doesn't stop someone from subscribing to a
> >> news service that has a full, uncensored range of binary groups.
> >
> > That's nice, but the courts can go after those NSP (news service
> > providers) too. Try again...censorship is flawed.
>

> Did I say censorship was a good answer? Nope.

Did I say you did? Nope.

> I have been against censorship or any type of ISP policing from the very
> beginning of this thread, crEEP. You suggested that newsgroups were being
> censored by ISPs. Why bring this up I have no idea, it's irrelevant to the
> case that started this thread.

Uh, not it's not if you have even an ounce of extrapolation capabilitity within that sub-micron-sized brain of yours.

> >> Why the hell do you constantly crosspost? Oh wait, I forgot, you are
> >> a troll. Why the hell do I bother responding to you?
> >
> > Uh, fuckmunch, I crosspost to get more perspective on a discussion.
> > Duh--and they're all relevant newsgroups too.
>

> No, you do it to get attention. Any attention, even bad attention, is
> better than no attention for sad little crEEP. It must be a lonely world
> for you.

<yawn> Consider yourself refiltered, dork.

> > Why the hell are you so cluelessly moronically ineptly incompetent,
> > twatlump? God damn...evolve already; you're holding the rest of us
> > back. Don't bother replying until you've evolved, primordial ooze.
>

> I didn't really expect you to respond like a human, crEEP, because, well,
> you're not one.

I'm more human than you are, drone!

> Do I get to suck filter yet?

Yup...buh-bye!

Gerry Quinn

Aug 22, 2002, 7:59:36 AM8/22/02
In article <3D62C1AA...@tnlc.com>, =?iso-8859-1?Q?Eep=B2?= <eepN...@tnlc.com> wrote:
>Er, then why aren't the MP3 newsgroups also being filtered? Hell, why aren't
> ALL binary newsgroups filtered for that matter? Then what would it come down
> to, binaries being posted in EVERY newsgroup until ALL newsgroups are
> filtered? ISPs are better off not filtering ANY newsgroups (censorship) and
> just let people police themselves.

That would be nice for software pirates like you, wouldn't it?

- Gerry Quinn