CNews,active/newsgroups,checkgroups question

Gerben Wierda

Sep 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/4/95
Hello, World!

I hope these are the right groups to ask this question.

I have a setup with a local News server which gets fed through UUCP
by my provider.

I am trying to keep my active file up to date. EUnet used to send out
checkgroups control messages, which are in the format of the newsgroups file,
and locally a script handles this and updates the active/newsgroups file.
Due to lack of time they have stopped sending out these messages.
One alternative is to get the control group here, but that means sifting through
loads of junk.

As an alternative NLnet (the main Dutch provider) keeps their active
and newsgroups file available for ftp. This helps a bit, but not entirely since the
newsgroups file is incomplete and is therefore not the best solution for keeping
my setup up to date.

So here are my questions:
1) Is there a site maintaining a complete newsgroups file which can
be used to keep my setup up to date?
2) Is there another safe and easy way to keep my setup up to date?
Like a good script that uses active+newsgroups files for source, etc.?

Thanks in advance,

--Gerben