Opinion on a "problem"

Ray Dunn

Sep 23, 1988, 12:29:40 PM9/23/88

In article <11...@nmtsun.nmt.edu>
caa...@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Clifford Adams) writes:
>A form of racism has come to USENET. Sites leaving (like
>AT&T) will not kill the net. This form of racism (siteism?) might do so.

And thus puts forward an interesting hypothesis.

In article <71...@gryphon.CTS.COM>
ric...@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:

>Whats stupider that yer average Portal (not legally TM, it turns out)
>user ?

And thus proves it.

--
Ray Dunn. | UUCP: ..!philabs!micomvax!ray
Philips Electronics Ltd. | TEL : (514) 744-8200 Ext: 2347

Oleg Kiselev

Sep 28, 1988, 12:35:20 PM9/28/88
caa...@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Clifford Adams) writes:
>>A form of racism has come to USENET. Sites leaving (like
>>AT&T) will not kill the net. This form of racism (siteism?) might do so.

Which is rather stupid, really. Being critical of the whole site, like
PORTAL, may influence opinions of the posters on the site, but has not caused
sites like GRYPHON to stop propagating PORTAL articles down stream to sites
we feed. Tha accusations of "racism" or "siteism", of all things, are
nothing byt hysterical rantings.

In article <12...@micomvax.UUCP> r...@micomvax.UUCP (Ray Dunn) writes:
>And thus puts forward an interesting hypothesis.

> ric...@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
> >Whats stupider that yer average Portal (not legally TM, it turns out)
> >user ?

>And thus proves it.

Proves WHAT? That Sexton has a very low opinion of "yer average Portal
poster"? That we all knew and expected. What else? That this low opinion
will prevent GRYPHON from feeding PORTAL postings to other sites? That
somehow, by magic, a user "richard@GRYPHON" will cause PORTAL to fall off the
NET?

Ray Dunn has been engaged in GRYPHON-bashing for quite a while now. What
does that prove?
--
Oleg Kiselev "No regrets, no apologies" -- Ronald Reagan
(213)337-5230 ARPA: lcc....@seas.ucla.edu, ol...@gryphon.cts.com

Stan Barber

Oct 2, 1988, 4:18:29 AM10/2/88
In article <11...@nmtsun.nmt.edu> caa...@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Clifford Adams) writes:
> I definitely favor KILL files for individuals, to "remove" a
>troublesome person. KILLing a group of people based on a few is
>counter to many of the dreams of USENET. Wasn't the Net supposed to
>be the "great electronic anarchy", where everyone could speak, without
>censorship or repression (at least in alt. groups)? A community where
>all can share ideas, speaking the same language (ASCII), without
>arbitrary differences like race or gender.
>
>--
> Clifford A. Adams --- "I understand only inasmuch as I become."
> ForthLisp Project Programmer (Goal: LISP interpreter in Forth)
> caa...@nmtsun.nmt.edu ...cmcl2!lanl!unm-la!unmvax!nmtsun!caasnsr
> (505) 835-6104 | US Mail: Box 2439 Campus Station / Socorro, NM 87801

I have always saw USENET as a great electronic community, not an anarchy.
Anarchy implies no control. This is not the case. Newsadmins can impose
whatever restrictions they choose. Some restrictions affect only the
local site. Some can actually affect the net. Within this concept of
community is the idea of citizenship. By this, I mean that there is
implied responsibility for one's own actions. USENET has attempted to
encourage everyone to use this resource responsibly. Some choose to abuse
it. Others attempt to deal with this abuse either locally or by encouraging
joint actions of a large group of newsadmins. Defining abuse and dealing
with it are always sensitive issues, but they must be done for the
community to continue to exist. Otherwise, more sites will exit this
community for another.

I don't disagree with your basic ideas regarding the alt-net. However,
USENET remains a product of people and will continue to show all that is
good and bad (racism and sexism) about people. To expect otherwise defeats
the idea of USENET as a community. I applaude any who continue to encourage
people to follow the guidelines that are defined. This encourges responsible
usage of this resource. This resonsible use should be the hallmark of USENET.

Stan internet: s...@bcm.tmc.edu Baylor College of Medicine
Olan uucp: {rice,killer,hoptoad}!academ!sob
Barber Opinions expressed are only mine.