Moderation and the milw.* CleanupBot

*The* Didaskalos

Dec 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/1/98
I have no objection to moderating milw.general.

Two months ago, before the current controversy there, I suggested that
if Joe Greco and his crowd wanted to keep tighter control of
milw.general, they should create a group where Milwaukee people could
discuss with each other anything they wanted. But they should not
deprive us of the right to discuss whatever we want with each other.

But I and many others have to disagree strongly with that so-called
"retro-moderation" that is being applied to milw.*, and especially to
the so-called "people" who are doing it.

I read a genuine moderated group on history. No messages get posted
that have not been passed by the moderator.

It often happens, especially in discussing modern history, that the
thread veers off topic, for example getting too much into the
political aspects of current events instead of their genuine
historical aspects. When that happens, one of the moderators will post
the message, but with a preface politely cautioning that it is veering
off topic into politics. Readers comply.

I've occasionally had a post rejected by a moderator. This is done
with a polite note explaining why, and I don't feel upset by it
because I see the point. This doesn't happen often, however, because
the guidelines for the group are clear and unambiguous. Furthermore,
the moderators are lenient and not nit-pickers.

What's the difference between the history moderation and milw.*?

The difference seems to be that the history group is moderated by
historians, not by techies. It's moderated by people who are dedicated
to their subject, not to technical operations, numbers, and rules.

In contrast, milw.* is "retro-moderated" by immature, constipated
techies who don't know the first thing about the topics or messages
they're censoring, and who are intent only on the "functioning" of the
technical aspects of the group.

The milw.* "retro-moderators" are extremely rude, as has been proved
by emails received by Stacy Alexander, Karl Denninger, and others
(including me). They immediately try to make trouble, even for some
innocent posters, while letting others slide for weeks with no
apparent action. They are accused of inconsistent mis-application of
their own charter, and they give the appearance of carrying out
personal vendettas against people they've been arguing with.

Such people should not be operating a CleanupBot, and should not be
recognized.

Our thought for the day, a lesson from history:

"All members of the SS and police must be in the forefront of
the fight to eliminate homosexuality from the German people."

-- Heinrich Himmler, March 7, 1942 Memorandum.
(Imperial War Museum, London, H/6/165)

Are you a political or religious Conservative?
Remember this: those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

http://www.geocities.com/westhollywood/village/1360

Tommy

Dec 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/5/98
On Tue, 01 Dec 1998 15:43:54 GMT,
thedidaskalosTAKEM...@hotmail.com (*The* Didaskalos)
wrote:

>I have no objection to moderating milw.general.
>
>Two months ago, before the current controversy there, I suggested that
>if Joe Greco and his crowd wanted to keep tighter control of
>milw.general, they should create a group where Milwaukee people could
>discuss with each other anything they wanted. But they should not
>deprive us of the right to discuss whatever we want with each other.

I don't really care what they're doing as long as it works. It isn't.
The real situation is there's a battle going on, and noone is
selective about who gets blamed.

If I reply to a post that interests me, why should I be blamed for an
"off topic" post? Even if I should know better (re trolling).

The whole thing has gotten ridiculous, and I'm simply going to stop
posting. I'm tired of getting warned about the follow-ups, tired of
the trolls, tired of the whole thing.

I had a lot of fun here back in the days we traded words with the
likes of Croth, Dick Webb, etc. etc. We were mean, nasty, and it was
a blast. Every now and then, somewhere between the lines there was
something important. Those days are gone.

I'm sticking around in wi.general, but I'm going to avoid milw.* like
the plague until they figure out what they're doing.

Tommy

"The horror of that moment," the King went on,
"I shall never, never forget!"
"You will though," the Queen said,
"if you don't make a memorandum of it."

-Lewis Carroll