SPEWS - S1820 remove newly acquired IPs from database

AgoraCart - Mister Ed

Jul 26, 2004, 3:14:15 PM7/26/04
Howdy,

looks like SPEWS is blocking our somewhat newly acquired IP addresses
(for our new servers). We are tough on spamming and have worked with
many law enforcement agencies, so we find having our IPs on the list
not necessary. Also the fact that "eventually" they will be removed
is a bit disconcerting as we are now the victims of so called SPAM
archival orgs with no recourse except maybe to beg in open forums for
removal. Looks like someone needs to come up with a better idear than
what I am seeing from SPEWS so far. It's a good idear in some ways,
but penalizes legit operations with blanket IP ranges. Nor does it
give any way to be removed just because it's "their opinion" and they
can do what ever they want to (and basically tell you that yer SOL and
to buzz off).

our IPs are:
66.193.230.11
66.193.230.101-104
66.193.230.184-193

hope these can be removed :)

Mister Ed

Randolf Richardson

Aug 10, 2004, 9:09:43 PM8/10/04
"mist...@agoracart.com (AgoraCart - Mister Ed)" wrote in news.admin.net-
abuse:

I hope so too (assuming your claims of being anti-spam are true).

As a preventative measure, in the future you should have your upstream
providers make written promises that the blocks they provide to you won't
be blacklisted in anti-spam databases, and if they are that they'll take
reasonable steps to resolve the problem.

You may also want to find out what the IP ranges are ahead of time and
do some checking on your own. A few useful blacklist checking tools are:

OpenRBL
http://www.openrbl.org/

drbcheck: dr. Jørgen Mash's DNS database list checker
http://moensted.dk/spam/