Requested IDP of alt.net

Jerry Brenner

Sep 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/21/98
I just sent the following to my ISP hoping they may act on my request (not holding my breath
on this one). It's about time to isolate alt.net and let them flame each other.

:<alt.net has proven itself to be one of the cess pools of the internet time and again, I have over 50
:<filters in my newsreader devoted to alt.net users alone and thats still not enough because alt.net's
:<users continue to morph their address's to get past filters. My newsreader will not let me filter on the
:<received path, so I'm stuck with all the crud from alt.net. Will you please consider blocking all traffic
:<originating or passing through alt.net? The collateral damage will be minimal at worst and the gains
:< may be significant in reduced storage requirements.

I'm tired of having the juveniles and kooks from alt.net running over the newsgroups I'm trying to
participate in.

BTW, I'm offering a $1000 reward to the individual responsible for booting Dipshit from the
internet.

Qualification:
There must be an enforceable court order prohibiting the person know as Hipcrime from any access to
the internet as long as that person lives.
Jerry Brenner
Lumber Cartel Unit #261 (TINLC)

Diane

Sep 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/21/98
On Mon, 21 Sep 1998 20:28:14 GMT, jbre...@mediaone.net (Jerry
Brenner) wrote:

>There must be an enforceable court order prohibiting the person know as Hipcrime from any access to
>the internet as long as that person lives.

Larry - considering it would take 10-15K to institute virtually
any kind of court action against someone your reward of 1K,
though well intentioned, offer isn't going to be a very
attractive one I'm afraid.

Since this hipcrime geek is a bit of an annoyance for the moment
and reading between the lines I seem to feel that several of the
well known regulars here seem to/might know where he is - why
don't we just widely publish his name ISP account address phone
number - whatever?? Don't the bugs usually scurry off back into
the darkness when the lights go on?

----------------
Diane

David W. Richardson

Sep 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/21/98
Diane (Diane) wrote: > >There must be an enforceable court order prohibiting the person know as Hipcrime from any access to > >the internet as long as that person lives. > Larry - considering it would take 10-15K to institute virtually > any kind of court action against someone your reward of 1K, > though well intentioned, offer isn't going to be a very > attractive one I'm afraid. When I see an open USENET server being abused by HipCrime or a HipClone (someone acting like HCr), and it is obvious that the server-owner is suffering direct damage (such as a local newsgroup being used to run his business is being trashed) I give them a heads-up on the attacks in this and other newsgroups, and suggest that it would be a great service to USENET if they would locate the person, sue them for local damages, publicize the case, and while they are at it get an injunction preventing the person from ever posting anything that might to "harm" to any news-server owned by that company. If that company carries a full feed on any one of their servers, such an order would effectively prevent the injunt-ee from posting "harmful posts" (read: cancels, supercedes, ultra-large posts, etc.) to USENET. My guess is that Symantec, a victim over the weekend, has probably run up several hundreds or thousands of dollars in costs cleaning up the mess. HipCrime or a HipClone cluttered up one of their support newsgroups in the process of trashing news.admin.net-abuse.usenet and several other newsgroups (to the best of my knowledge, he did not supercede any Symantec-local posts). -------- I think I made up a new word. We've needed something like this for the last 3 months (unfortunately). HipClone: n. 1. A person or other entity using HipCrime NewsAgent to post USENET (and non-USENET news) messages which contain headers designed to erase existing news posts. 2. A person appearing to do (1), but not necessarily using HipCrime NewsAgent software 3. A person engaging in any behavior commonly identified with or advocated by a person or entity generally known as "HipCrime," in such a way that, at first glance, one might think it was actually done by HipCrime. Etymology: A person or entity known as HipCrime wrote (or is credited with having written) a piece of software variously known as "NewsAgent", "HipCrime NewsAgent", "HipCrime's NewsAgent", or erroniously as "HipCrime". It made it easy to post bulk third-party "cancel" messages in USENET (see RFC 1036 at http://www.rfc-editor.org). The USENET newsgroups news.admin.net-abuse.email and news.admin.net-abuse.usenet were victims of attacks made by users of this software. Rather than give HipCrime all the blame for these postings, and rather than use a longwinded term such as "someone using HipCrime NewsAgent", the term HipClone was coined. -David W. "davidwr@" Richardson "geocities.com" Are you still blocking mail from Geocities (mail.geocities.com, 209.1.224.xx)? They instituted anti-abuse measures in July 1998, please de-blacklist them. See the MAPS RBL at http://maps.vix.com/rbl. Report future mail.geocities.com email spam to Geocities and to MAPS.

Unknown

Sep 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/21/98
In article <3606b11e...@news-beta.ne.mediaone.net>, jbre...@mediaone.net
says...

>BTW, I'm offering a $1000 reward to the individual responsible for booting
>Dipshit from the
>internet.
>
>Qualification:

>There must be an enforceable court order prohibiting the person know as Hipcrime
>from any access to
>the internet as long as that person lives.

>Jerry Brenner
>Lumber Cartel Unit #261 (TINLC)

I'll ask my 3rd cousin, Ali, who is a judge to issue the order. How do
I collect?

Diane

Sep 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/21/98
On Mon, 21 Sep 1998 17:35:00 -0500, "David W. Richardson"
<davidwr_at_g...@geocities.com> wrote:

>When I see an open USENET server being abused by HipCrime or a HipClone
>(someone acting like HCr), and it is obvious that the server-owner is
>suffering direct damage (such as a local newsgroup being used to run his

>business is being trashed) I give them a heads-up on the attacks ...

>My guess is that Symantec, a victim over the weekend, has probably run
>up several hundreds or thousands of dollars in costs cleaning up the

>mess. ...

Good points!

>I think I made up a new word. We've needed something like this for the
>last 3 months (unfortunately).
>

>HipClone: n.....

And an even better word! <g>. Consider it added to my Usenet
vocabulary.

----------------
Diane

Taki Kogoma

Sep 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/21/98
Hrm...

Y'know Chris. You really should let the Goober Border Patrol know
when you decide to (for example) visit Colorado.

difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a source of mind-
boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it."
-- Gene "spaf" Spafford (1992)

Chris Lewis

Sep 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/22/98
I've decided to dump the BI and censor all of USENET to
my own personal liking. I have grown tired of fighting the
anti-censors and have dumped the unworkable BI as too
liberal in the ultimate battle against them.

From now on my Hezbollah wing of the Censor Cabal, of which
I am the Supreme Grand Potentate, will decide which postings
to censor and which to allow.

No longer will we hide behind the indices or arbitrary thresholds,
from now on we will censor based on content and on identity -
Hipcrime watch out!

Unfortunately for the rest of you netziens this is the only way that we
can totally control what is posted or propagated to USENET.

I have spoken by decree -
All Hail Supreme Censor - Chris Lewis!
All Hail Chris Lewis !

Jerry Brenner <jbre...@mediaone.net> wrote in article
<3606b11e...@news-beta.ne.mediaone.net>...

> I just sent the following to my ISP hoping they may act on my request
(not holding my breath
> on this one). It's about time to isolate alt.net and let them flame each
other.

> :<alt.net has proven itself to be one of the cess pools of the internet
time and again, I have over 50
> :<filters in my newsreader devoted to alt.net users alone and thats still
not enough because alt.net's
> :<users continue to morph their address's to get past filters. My
newsreader will not let me filter on the
> :<received path, so I'm stuck with all the crud from alt.net. Will you
please consider blocking all traffic
> :<originating or passing through alt.net? The collateral damage will be
minimal at worst and the gains
> :< may be significant in reduced storage requirements.
>
> I'm tired of having the juveniles and kooks from alt.net running over the
newsgroups I'm trying to
> participate in.

Henrietta Thomas

Sep 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/22/98
In news.admin.net-abuse.usenet on Mon, 21 Sep 1998 17:35:00 -0500, "David W.
Richardson" <davidwr_at_g...@geocities.com> wrote:

[snip].....

>I think I made up a new word. We've needed something like this for the
>last 3 months (unfortunately).
>

>HipClone: n. 1. A person or other entity using HipCrime NewsAgent to
>post USENET (and non-USENET news) messages which contain headers
>designed to erase existing news posts. 2. A person appearing to do
>(1), but not necessarily using HipCrime NewsAgent software 3. A person
>engaging in any behavior commonly identified with or advocated by a
>person or entity generally known as "HipCrime," in such a way that, at
>first glance, one might think it was actually done by HipCrime.
>
>Etymology: A person or entity known as HipCrime wrote (or is credited with
>having written) a piece of software variously known as "NewsAgent",
>"HipCrime NewsAgent", "HipCrime's NewsAgent", or erroniously as "HipCrime".
>It made it easy to post bulk third-party "cancel" messages in USENET (see
>RFC 1036 at http://www.rfc-editor.org).
>The USENET newsgroups news.admin.net-abuse.email and
>news.admin.net-abuse.usenet were victims of attacks made by users of this
>software.
>Rather than give HipCrime all the blame for these postings, and rather
>than use a longwinded term such as "someone using HipCrime NewsAgent",
>the term HipClone was coined.

I like this very much, and hope it will be added to the list of definitions
recently posted here.

One comment: You misspelled erroneously.

Henrietta Thomas
h...@wwa.com
--
My address is not munged because I like to make it easy
for people to write to me without jumping through hoops.

Joe We are Borg Foster

Sep 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/22/98
In article <3606e617...@news.sirius.com>, Di...@somewhere.com (Diane) writes:

> On Mon, 21 Sep 1998 17:35:00 -0500, "David W. Richardson"
> <davidwr_at_g...@geocities.com> wrote:

> >When I see an open USENET server being abused by HipCrime or a HipClone
> >(someone acting like HCr), and it is obvious that the server-owner is
> >suffering direct damage (such as a local newsgroup being used to run his
> >business is being trashed) I give them a heads-up on the attacks ...

> >My guess is that Symantec, a victim over the weekend, has probably run
> >up several hundreds or thousands of dollars in costs cleaning up the
> >mess. ...

> Good points!

> >I think I made up a new word. We've needed something like this for the
> >last 3 months (unfortunately).
> >
> >HipClone: n.....

> And an even better word! <g>. Consider it added to my Usenet
> vocabulary.

I've been quietly suggesting to the admins of the abused servers
and their immediate upstreams to start rejecting posts if they
contain Control or Supersedes headers or if they're crossposted
to unknown newsgroups. Additionally, throttling might be a good
idea. However, I haven't a clue as to if the appropriate server
patches are already out there or where they might be found. Help!

--
Joe Foster <mailto:jfo...@ricochet.net> or <mailto:j...@bftsi0.gate.net>
WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above They're coming to

Jerry Brenner

Sep 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/22/98
haxo...@usaNNN.net (Pilot) wrote:
:<
:<Wow, this clueless little numbskull is obsessed. Heh, *not* collecting the
:<grand is worth watching you cry like a scolded child.

Hmm, Troll-o-matic works wonders. I even got e-mail from Dipshit!

Tim Thorne

Sep 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/22/98
"David W. Richardson" <davidwr_at_g...@geocities.com> wrote:
[...]

>My guess is that Symantec, a victim over the weekend, has probably run
>up several hundreds or thousands of dollars in costs cleaning up the
>mess.

Several hundreds or thousands of dollars is a guess?
A gross over-estimation I hope, that or I'm in the wrong job.

-
--------========>>>>>>>Special Forces<<<<<<<========--------
www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~thorne www.hell-flame-wars.org

"Dog eat dog, every day, on our fellow men we prey" Offspring

Sam

Sep 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/22/98

David W. Richardson

Sep 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/23/98
Tim Thorne wrote:
> Several hundreds or thousands of dollars is a guess?
> A gross over-estimation I hope, tht or I'm in the wrong job.
Not an over-estimation, but possibly an under-estimation.

It's my estimate assuming it takes about 1 man-day to clean up the mess
(assuming that the person doesn't know how to fix it right off the bat),
including the time it takes to get the necessary approvals and schedule
the necessary downtime (remember: this is Corporate America we are
talking about).

Assuming the news-admin makes $15/hour (a lowball figure), we can assume
1 man-hour costs Symantec at least $30, which is $240 for 1 man-day.

"Hundreds or (not 'of') thousands of dollars" gives a range of
$200-$9999, which is a pretty wide margin and should cover my margin of
error.

Perhaps I should have said:

My guess is that Symantec, a victim over the weekend, has

probably run up several hundreds or perhaps even thousands
^^^^^^^^^^^^

of dollars in costs cleaning up the mess.

In Symantec's case, they also suffer damage by having their
customer-service news-server temporarily down, which hurts customers who
use it. This damage is hard for an ignorant outsider to quantify, but
is not zero.

By my incomplete reckoning, thier damage has probably already exceeded
$1000. Is it lawyer time yet? That's up to Symantec. [If you own
Symantec stock, let investor know if you think this warrants a suit.]

A big USENET Service award and thank you to Chris et al who are helping
the administrator configure his server safely.