APEWS: E-361935 / 65.74.185.26 most certainly is *not* dynamic, and it *does* have a valid PTR.

rlpowell

Nov 12, 2009, 4:40:46 PM11/12/09
I'm a sysadmin for EngineYard. We have no dynamic IPs of any kind,
and we immediately disable all spammer accounts; we in no way help or
support spammers.

Oooops 65.74.185.26 is currently listed in APEWS :-(
Entry matching your Query: E-361935
65.74.128.0/18CASE: C-1403
Dynamic IP space, generic DNS/rDNS, no PTR
Direct connections to MX not permitted, you
need to use your ISP servers or smarthostSpecial Reason:
Dynamic IP, generic DNS, missing rDNS/PTR not permitted for direct
email connection. You must use correctly configured [with registered
working abuse contact] static IP / ISP mail servers / smarthost
serviceHistory:
Entry created 2008-07-19

It is not a dynamic IP. It has a valid PTR. I have no idea what
"generic DNS" means.

$ host 65.74.185.26
Name: smtp.zendesk.com
Address: 65.74.185.26

We've got a legitimate customer (zendesk is a bug tracking tool),
sending legitimate mail, blocked by APEWS. Is there anything we can
do?

-Robin

--
Comments posted to news.admin.net-abuse.blocklisting
are solely the responsibility of their author. Please

MrD

Nov 13, 2009, 6:02:16 AM11/13/09
rlpowell wrote:

> It is not a dynamic IP. It has a valid PTR. I have no idea what
> "generic DNS" means.
>
> $ host 65.74.185.26 Name: smtp.zendesk.com Address: 65.74.185.26
>
> We've got a legitimate customer (zendesk is a bug tracking tool),
> sending legitimate mail, blocked by APEWS. Is there anything we can
> do?

Looks OK to me. I'd say the listing is in error. I'm sure there are many
similar errors - APEWS isn't noted for accuracy.

--
MrD.
http://ipquery.org

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

Nov 15, 2009, 7:05:39 AM11/15/09
In <f1e63c21-0af7-4d11...@e4g2000prn.googlegroups.com>, on
11/12/2009

at 09:40 PM, rlpowell <rpo...@engineyard.com> said:

>I have no idea what "generic DNS" means.

That's rDNS that seems to be generated from a template rather than
actually identifying the host, e.g., node8.173.136.64.1dial.com.

>We've got a legitimate customer (zendesk is a bug tracking tool),
>sending legitimate mail, blocked by APEWS.

APEWS isn't blocking anybody. If the recipient's mail server is using
APEWS, contact him offline and suggest that he ask his admin for a
whitelisting. Meanwhile check all of the IP addresses in the block for
generic rDNS.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz, truly insane Spews puppet
<http://patriot.net/~shmuel>

I reserve the right to publicly post or ridicule any abusive
E-mail. Reply to domain Patriot dot net user shmuel+news to contact
me. Do not reply to spam...@library.lspace.org