BACKSCATTERER - Reflexion.net

Gesthemene

Dec 14, 2009, 11:25:05 PM12/14/09
Hi guys,

we use a spam filtering (amongst other things) application called
Reflexion Total Control.

We've just started seeing blacklistings for backscatter/sender
callouts from this particular smarthost. Has anyone else noticed
problems with this service and/or is there a solution other than
removing the existing smarthost?

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Comments posted to news.admin.net-abuse.blocklisting
are solely the responsibility of their author. Please

MrD

Dec 16, 2009, 3:59:33 PM12/16/09
Gesthemene wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> we use a spam filtering (amongst other things) application called
> Reflexion Total Control.
>
> We've just started seeing blacklistings for backscatter/sender
> callouts from this particular smarthost. Has anyone else noticed
> problems with this service and/or is there a solution other than
> removing the existing smarthost?

"In order to minimize the risk of false-positives, users may elect to
send a Challenge to the sender of any incoming message that fails a
delivery test (with the exception of the unknown user and virus tests)."

http://www.reflexion.net/solutions/summary-of-features.php

Well, I guess that's how they got listed.

"(While some users love the effectiveness of Challenge/Response, others
are concerned about sending challenges to innocent parties whose email
addresses have been hijacked by spammers. We see this as a choice for
the user to make.)"

Some others see it as a choice for the recipient.

The listing should (in general) only impact the deliverability of
bounces. So one solution would be to live with the listing.

--
MrD.
http://ipquery.org

Fallout

Dec 17, 2009, 6:49:52 AM12/17/09
On Dec 15, 6:25 am, Gesthemene <harcourt.da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> we use a spam filtering (amongst other things) application called
> Reflexion Total Control.
>
> We've just started seeing blacklistings for backscatter/sender
> callouts from this particular smarthost. Has anyone else noticed
> problems with this service and/or is there a solution other than
> removing the existing smarthost?
>
> Cheers,
> Dave.

Well let's see :

1) Their website is currently down.

2) From encyclopedia.net, here is their self-description:

WOBURN, Mass., May 25 /PRNewswire/ -- Reflexion Network Solutions
today announced its release of Reflexion Total Control(TM), the most
advanced email security solution for the enterprise that eliminates
all spam and e-mail borne viruses, without a single false positive.
Reflexion Total Control (RTC) is not a spam filter. After more than 18
months of use in enterprise environments, RTC has proven to eliminate
100% of e-mail spam, and never, ever block legitimate messages.

"We have been using Reflexion for more than a year with phenomenal
success," said Leo ...

So, they block 100% of spam with a 0% false positive rate. WOW!! Why
isn't everyone in the world using it then? :P

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

Dec 17, 2009, 12:31:08 PM12/17/09
In <hg7hga$i27$1...@news.eternal-september.org>, on 12/16/2009

at 08:59 PM, MrD <mrdem...@jackpot.invalid> said:

>The listing should (in general) only impact the deliverability of
>bounces.

FSVO should and FSVO bounce. A challenge is not a bounce and it's up to
the admin to determine what mail his server should accept. If he decides
not to accept mail from misconfigured MTA's, then his server should not
accept that mail, regardless of the advice from UCEPROTECT.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz, truly insane Spews puppet
<http://patriot.net/~shmuel>

I reserve the right to publicly post or ridicule any abusive
E-mail. Reply to domain Patriot dot net user shmuel+news to contact
me. Do not reply to spam...@library.lspace.org

D. Stussy

Dec 17, 2009, 1:54:05 PM12/17/09
"Gesthemene" <harcour...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> we use a spam filtering (amongst other things) application called
> Reflexion Total Control.
>
> We've just started seeing blacklistings for backscatter/sender
> callouts from this particular smarthost. Has anyone else noticed
> problems with this service and/or is there a solution other than
> removing the existing smarthost?
>
> Cheers,
> Dave.

C/R is abusive, and as shown on NG "comp.mail.misc" in 2003, it can be used
to deliver spam. It is worse than other techniques because it also blocks
legitimate mail from proceeding to delivery.