Re: The Sad Saga of the Zod

Peter J Ross

Apr 22, 2020, 2:34:58 PM4/22/20
[crossposted to news.admin.misc]

In alt.arts.poetry.comments on Mon, 20 Apr 2020 23:38 UTC, Retro
G...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy) wrote:

> ME wrote:
>
>> Last night I went to novabbs to sigh up there, only to find out
>> that there are already two accounts there in my name. One with my
>> email address. I’ve contacted someone about this. I’ll let you
>> know when I’ve got more info.
>
> The fudforum software on novabbs creates placeholder accounts for
> all usernames from messages it receives. If I disable that,
> everything from Usenet, which is pretty much everything, will just
> show as 'Guest'.
>
> There shouldn't be an actual account in your name, just a
> placeholder, so you should be able to claim that username by
> creating it (click 'Register').
>
> For any issues trying to do so, email me at retr...@novabbs.com,
> sending from the email address attached to the account. To modify
> the actual username, I'll need to do that, so it would be necessary
> to let me know by email.
>
> Retro Guy

Hello, Retro Guy!

Whether you like it or not, you've become a NewsAdmin, part of an
honourable tradition that dates back to 1979, long before the Internet
started to spoil everything.

As a former NewsAdmin (on a very small scale) myself, I have a couple
of questions for you.

1. Where can I find your Acceptable Use Policy and/or Terms of
Service?

2. Are you familiar with the concept of "EMAK" (Excessive Morphing to
Avoid Killfiles)? If so, what limits do you impose?

3. Where can I find your Active List, and what is your policy for
adding and removing newsgroups?

4. Which servers are your peers?

As you can probably tell, I'm a little suspicious of you, but I'm sure
that you'll be able to clear up my doubts.

--
PJR :-)

μεγάλη ἡ ἀλήθεια καὶ ὑπερισχύει.
- Esdras A 4.41