buffindexed overview

User

Jan 13, 2021, 4:44:36 AM1/13/21
Hi.

ovmethod is buffindexed. How much size should have buffer files?
INN 2.6.3

--
User

Julien ÉLIE

Jan 15, 2021, 5:16:55 PM1/15/21

Also responding here (besides news.software.nntp where you posted your
question);

> ovmethod is buffindexed. How much size should have buffer files?
> INN 2.6.3

It depends on how many articles you'll store.
The "inndf -no" command will tell you how much your buffer files are filed.

Just done a few tests with buffindexed for your information:

buffindexed
-----------

% inndf -no
3277740 overview records stored
37.73% overview space used

I set up 5 buffers of 1.5GB so it means 2,83 GB of space used.

It corresponds to about 2,852,200 articles (each newsgroup an article is
crossposted to counts for 1 overview record).

overview rebuild in 32 mn
expireover in 41 mn (it is the slowest method for expiry)
space on disk: fixed, and equal to the sum of the whole buffers (though
in this case, used space is only 2,83 GB)
+ 200 kb for group.index in <pathdb>

With about the same number of articles, on the same news server hardware
(a slow Intel Atom CPU N2800 1.86GHz with 2GB RAM):

tradindexed
-----------

(overview rebuild duration not noted, I'll measure it again)
expireover in 5 mn
space on disk: 2,9 GB

ovdb
----

overview rebuild in 42 mn
expireover in 6 mn
space on disk: 5,8 GB

compressed ovdb
---------------

overview rebuild in 50 mn
expireover in 5 mn
space on disk: 3,4 GB (small overview data are kept uncompressed)

ovsqlite (new storage method in INN 2.7.0)
--------

(overview rebuild duration not noted, I'll measure it again)
expireover in 10 mn
space on disk: 5,1 GB

compressed ovsqlite (new storage method in INN 2.7.0)

(durations not noted, I'll measure them again)
space on disk: 1,6 GB (all overview data is compressed)

I hope that information will be of help.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« I think it's a new feature. Don't tell anyone it was an accident. »
(Larry Wall)