Git repository for the usenet-hierarchies web site

1 view

Julien ÉLIE

Jun 1, 2023, 4:59:50 PM6/1/23
Hi all,

I wrote the initial version of the web site
http://usenet.trigofacile.com/hierarchies/ in 2007. It was already 16
years ago!
Since then I had not changed many things. The refactoring of the
display of unmanaged hierarchies is probably the first real change :)

Apart from that, there only was a technical migration from the
mod_python Apache module to mod_wsgi because mod_python was discontinued.

The next technical migration will be to switch the Python 2 code to
Python 3. I'll do it when upgrading the web server (it currently still
uses a mod_wsgi module built against Python 2.7).

In case some of you might be interested in how it is written, I've just
published its source code:
https://github.com/Julien-Elie/usenet-hierarchies

You'll notably find in
https://github.com/Julien-Elie/usenet-hierarchies/tree/main/website/data
the files it generates: for instance a newsgroups.ascii file with pure
ASCII descriptions, and a newsgroups.utf8 file with UTF-8 descriptions.

P.-S.: I'll now have a look at providing the source code I wrote in 2019
of a server-implementation of the Netnews Administration System protocol
(RFC 4707).
I've currently just committed the database it uses:
https://github.com/Julien-Elie/usenet-hierarchies/tree/main/nas

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Just don't create a file called -rf. » (Larry Wall)