Pompous black New Orleans mayor won't pay city back $30K for flights - insisting upgrades needed for 'health and safety'

Leroy N. Soetoro

Sep 11, 2022, 6:44:57 PM9/11/22
https://nypost.com/2022/09/11/nola-mayor-latoya-cantrell-defends-
expensive-flight-costs/

The Democrat mayor of New Orleans is refusing to reimburse the almost
$30,000 of taxpayer money she has spent upgrading flights to first class
or business class, despite city policy — after she insisted it was for her
safety as a black woman.

Mayor LaToya Cantrell told local reporters Thursday she won’t fork over
the exorbitant fees she charged for the upgraded tickets, including an
$18,000 first-class trip to France over the summer.

Since January 2021, Cantrell has charged the city of New Orleans $29,000
to travel first- or business-class instead of coach, The Times-
Picayune/The New Orleans Advocate reported.

“All expenses incurred doing business on behalf of the city of New Orleans
will not be reimbursed to the city of New Orleans,” she insisted,
according to WWL.

“One thing is clear: I do my job, and I will continue to do it with
distinction and integrity every step of the way. That’s what I have to say
on that.”

Her defiance goes against the city’s travel policy, which states that New
Orleans municipal workers must select the cheapest fight — or pay back the
difference.

“Employees are required to purchase the lowest airfare available…
Employees who choose an upgrade from coach, economy, or business class
flights are solely responsible for the difference in cost,” the policy
reads, according to WWL.

“Any reconciliation of travel expenses that results in overpayment by the
City requires that the employee reimburse the City within twenty business
days,” it continues.

However, Cantrell’s chief administrative officer Gilbert Montaño told the
Times-Picayune it’s unclear if the reimbursement policy actually applies
to elected officials.

Her administration is questioning whether Cantrell is required to abide by
the travel policy as an elected official like rank-and-file employees
must, the newspaper reported.

Meanwhile, Cantrell last month defended the sky-high amount of taxpayer
dollars she spent on herself by claiming it was all about her safety — and
not luxury.

“As all women know, our health and safety are often disregarded and we are
left to navigate alone,” she told the Times-Picayune/The New Orleans
Advocate in August.

“As the mother of a young child whom I live for, I am going to protect
myself by any reasonable means in order to ensure I am there to see her
grow into the strong woman I am raising her to be,” she continued.

“Anyone who wants to question how I protect myself just doesn’t understand
the world Black women walk in.”

On one occasion, Cantrell’s flights cost nine times that of an aide who
accompanied her but flew in coach, the local newspaper reported.

The $18,000 return trip to France over the summer was to sign an agreement
on an existing partnership with a small city on the Mediterranean Sea.

The democrat’s doubling-down comes as a new poll shows strong support for
her recall.

More than half (55.4%) of the some 400 registered voters surveyed
supported a recall, according to WVUE.

The survey was conducted Aug. 30 to Sept. 1 by Edgewater Research and My
People Vote.

Comments:

bob ward
1 hour ago

Why are citizens complaining? She is right. Rules only apply to the
peasants not to the elite politicians. On the flights, she should be
entitled to unlimited champagne, lobster and caviar. She will continue to
milk the system as long as she's in office. That's the only point of
getting elected. Serving the needs of the people is way too much work.

Lex Anderson
2 minutes ago

Some politicians are corrupt and have no shame, I believe she fits that
category perfectly.

--
"LOCKDOWN", left-wing COVID fearmongering. 95% of COVID infections
recover with no after effects.

ballots. Report voter fraud: sf.n...@mail.house.gov

fiasco, President Trump.

queer liberal democrat donors.