Re: Louisiana Republicans unload on White House over climate change tweet on Katrina anniversary

Climatists are not scientists

Aug 30, 2022, 10:15:03 PM8/30/22
In article <t17ar0$2ro33$8...@news.freedyn.de>
<governo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Democrats are such assholes.

Hurricanes Ida and Katrina are the two most damaging storms in
Louisiana history

FIRST ON FOX: Louisiana Republicans unloaded on the White House
for using the anniversaries of the two most damaging hurricanes
in state history to "push their radical Green New Deal."

August 29 marked the anniversaries of both Hurricanes Katrina
and Ida making landfall in the Pelican State, each storm the
most destructive and second most destructive hurricanes in state
history, respectively.

storms, White House regional communications director Dhara
Nayyar said hurricanes and other natural disasters are a
"reminder" of the "climate crisis."

"As [Biden] knows, hurricanes, flooding and wildfires serve as a
reminder that ‘the climate crisis is here," Nayyar tweeted on
the anniversaries of Hurricanes Katrina and Ida.

"That's why he announced executive actions to combat this
emergency and protect communities from the impacts already at
hand," she continued.

Dhara Nayyar
@DharaNayyar46
·
Follow
As @POTUS knows, hurricanes, flooding and wildfires serve as a
reminder that “the climate crisis is here.”
That's why he announced executive actions to combat this
emergency and protect communities from the impacts already at
hand.
https://whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-
releases/2022/07/20/fact-sheetpresident-bidens-executive-actions-
on-climate-to-address-extreme-heat-and-boost-offshore-wind/
Melinda Deslatte
@MelindaDeslatte
Today marks the anniversary of two of Louisiana's most
significant hurricanes. Hurricane Katrina struck on this day in
2005, and Hurricane Ida walloped the state on this day last
year. #lalege #lagov
7:34 AM · Aug 29, 2022
3
Share

Louisiana Republicans had choice words for the administration
over the tweet, with House Minority Whip Steve Scalise torching
the White House over the tweet in a statement to Fox News
Digital.

"On the anniversary of tragedies like Hurricane Katrina that
took the lives of more than a thousand people, due primarily to
the failure of federal levees, the White House should be more
focused on fulfilling their commitment to our communities rather
than using the anniversary of a tragedy to push their radical
Green New Deal agenda that is crushing families by raising
energy costs on hardworking taxpayers," Scalise said.

"Our communities include hardworking, resilient people who have
weathered storms and other adversity for generations, and they
will always come back stronger," the number two House Republican
said. "President Biden’s actions have made gas prices for
Louisiana families higher, while decimating the energy industry
in the cleanest-producing county in the world, all while begging
Russia, Iran, and Saudi Arabia to produce more carbon-intensive
energy that costs us more at the pump and on our utility bills."

Rep. Clay Higgins, Scalise’s fellow Louisiana Republican, told
Fox News Digital that everything "the Biden administration does
is agenda driven."

"It is no surprise to see Biden officials use the anniversary of
hurricanes to push their Green New Deal agenda," Higgins said on
Tuesday. "Historically, the Louisiana delegation has always
battled to deliver disaster recovery funding for South
Louisiana, and I support focused, financially-responsible
investments in flood and storm mitigation."

"Hurricanes are a part of life in South Louisiana. My office
also supports an all-of-the-above energy policy," he continued.
"However, I 100% oppose Biden’s weaponization of the federal
government to mandate and tax the oil and gas industry out of
existence."

When asked for comment on the criticism, White House
spokesperson Andrew Bates pointed to previous Fox News reporting
"based on a NOAA report during the Trump Administration,
‘Hurricanes are reportedly strengthening as the Earth's climate
grows warmer.’"

"And like Senator Cassidy said regarding the climate resilience
funding we worked together to include in the bipartisan
infrastructure law, ‘2020 set a record nationally for the most
named storms in a single season’ and ‘Hurricane Ida gave us a
harsh reminder that we need to strengthen the infrastructure
that protects us from the worst of these,'" Bates said.

"We are committed to overcoming the unprecedented national
security and economic threat of climate change, building a
stronger, more competitive economy and creating millions of new
jobs in the process," he continued. "We encourage Rep. Scalise
to work with us in that effort, instead of voting to defund the
police by gutting the COPS program."

Mitch Landrieu, a White House senior adviser, also weighed in
online, writing the "climate crisis has increased the frequency
and intensity of storms, creating economic [and] national
security risks."

"We must build more resilient infrastructure-physical [and]
natural," Landrieu continued. "Luckily, [Biden] brought together
Dems [and] Republicans to pass the Bipartisan Infrastructure
Law."

Mitch Landrieu
@MitchLandrieu46
·
Follow
The climate crisis has increased the frequency and intensity of
storms, creating economic & national security risks. We must
build more resilient infrastructure-physical & natural. Luckily,
@POTUS brought together Dems & Republicans to pass the
Bipartisan Infrastructure Law.
Dhara Nayyar
@DharaNayyar46
As @POTUS knows, hurricanes, flooding and wildfires serve as a
reminder that “the climate crisis is here.”
That's why he announced executive actions to combat this
emergency and protect communities from the impacts already at
hand.
https://whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-
releases/2022/07/20/fact-sheetpresident-bidens-executive-actions-
on-climate-to-address-extreme-heat-and-boost-offshore-wind/
12:27 PM · Aug 30, 2022

In the wake of Hurricane Ida, lawmakers from Louisiana such as
Republican Senator Bill Cassidy called for federal assistance in
storm recovery, as tends to be the case.

Republican Louisiana Rep. Garret Graves, a leader in the
Hurricane Katrina recovery, said in 2019 that the GOP and
Democrats need to come together on solutions to help local
communities prepare for environmental changes.

"There is built-up momentum in the atmosphere right now where
adaptation is the thing you’ve got to do no matter what, right
out of the gate," Graves said.

2020 also saw a record number of 30 named hurricanes with five
of them hitting Louisiana.

2005’s Hurricane Katrina is a notorious name in American history
as the most destructive natural disaster in U.S. history.

The majority of Katrina’s damage came from the torrents of
flooding, most notably in New Orleans where several levees
broke, allowing water to rush into the city below sea level.

The flooding covered 80 percent of the city, destroying New
Orleans. Additionally, 80 percent of the 1,464 deaths caused by
Katrina came from New Orleans.

On the fiscal side, Katrina was estimated to have caused $96
billion dollars in damage. Meanwhile, it is estimated 2021’s
Hurricane Ida may exceed $95 billion, placing it as the seventh
costliest hurricane since the start of the millennium.

Ida’s cost was initially estimated to be between $70 billion and
$80 billion. The 2021 storm also killed 87 Americans out of the
107 killed by the storm.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/louisiana-republicans-unload-
white-house-climate-change-tweet-katrina-anniversary