BarCampOrlando Downtown April 5th and 6th, 10AM - 6PM

1 view

Ryan Price

Apr 2, 2008, 11:19:52 AM4/2/08
to New Media Orlando
Many of you have asked "When is PodCamp?"
It's this Sunday at BarCamp Media Day

BarCamp Orlando (barcamporlando.org) is a weekend for all types of
creative folks to come together and share with each other. The event
is dubbed an "unconference", a format which derives power from the
people instead of the event organizers or the presenters. Everyone has
an equal opportunity to get on stage and speak, teach or lead a
discussion, playing off of the idea that at any given conference, the
people in the audience have more knowledge collectively than the
presenter(s) on stage.

This second installment of BarCamp will be held over 2 days, Saturday
and Sunday, April 5th and 6th, in downtown Orlando at the Wall Street
complex, from 10AM - 6PM each day. Registration is free, and a
registration promises a shirt and lunch on the sponsors of BarCamp,
businesses who are passionate about the technology and media
communities of Central Florida.

Saturday is the designated "Dev Day", playing host to everything from
web programming to robot building and video game development and
everything in between. iPhone hackers, guys with soldering irons, the
latest technologies, and plenty that haven't been realized yet. Every
30 minutes, both venues will have a different talk going on, so if
you're feeling lost in the jargon, apply the "rule of 2 feet" and
check out what's happening in the other room!

Sunday is dubbed "Media Day", and is the place for storytellers,
journalists, writers, designers, filmmakers, musicians, 2D and 3D
artists, podcasters, bloggers and social networkers to show off their
work, share their tricks or talk about the state of the industry. From
12 to 1 we will be talking about the "Past, Present and Future of
Media in Central Florida", hoping to give our community a sense of our
story, and where we're headed.

Registration is free, and the event runs from 10AM - 6PM both days
with a lunch break at 1PM. The event will be housed in Slingapour's
and One-Eyed-Jack's, with Wall St Cantina acting as our "hallway".
There will be projectors and microphones, chairs and a space to speak.
All you have to do is write your name on the whiteboard and you get
20-25 minutes to share your passions with a group of energetic,
engaged geeks and creatives. I would not use the words "captive
audience" to describe the BarCamp crowd, because they all want to get
involved.

Visit www.barcamporlando.org today and register for Dev Day, Media Day
or both days. Wall Street Plaza is at 18 Wall Street Plaza, Orlando,
FL 32801 - barcamporlando.org/where has a map to the venue and
information about parking.