MediaCampLA is now in the planning stages

Douglas E. Welch

Aug 13, 2010, 3:21:10 PM8/13/10
to newmediai...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

Following our successful CareerCampLA and CareerCampSCV, I am moving forward with another unconference idea I have had for a while -- MediaCampLA.

This unconference will focus on New Media of all sorts including online video sharing sites, podcasting and social media like Facebook, Twitter and more.

We have a very basic web page up at http://mediacampla.wordpress.com

There is also the beginnings of a planning document at:

If you are interested in helping organize MediaCampLA, please join the mailing list and share your ideas there and on the planning document.

"Tell your story with Podcasting and New Media"
Web: http://DouglasEWelch.com -- Email: m...@douglasewelch.com

Tyler Hurst

Aug 13, 2010, 3:44:11 PM8/13/10
to newmediai...@googlegroups.com
Isn't that just like PodCamp?

Douglas E. Welch

Aug 13, 2010, 4:04:10 PM8/13/10
to newmediai...@googlegroups.com
Yes it is.

I went with the name MediaCamp to open it up a bit beyond those that might think it was about podcasting only or have very little idea what podcasting is.

With video sharing and social media being so much a part of New Media, I though it best to make the name a bit more inclusive. It is also a nod to the entertainment industry here in LA in an attempt to bring both New Media and mainstream media together.

"Tell your story with Podcasting and New Media"
Web: http://DouglasEWelch.com -- Email: m...@douglasewelch.com

tr...@theyesbook.net

Aug 13, 2010, 5:08:43 PM8/13/10
to newmediai...@googlegroups.com
Yes! I'm in! I've been Facebooking about it. And have emailed people for sponsorship! Let me know how I can help! Maybe we shoot a little video to promote the upcoming conference?

Tyler Hurst

Aug 13, 2010, 9:49:00 PM8/13/10
to newmediai...@googlegroups.com
I like your thinking here. I recommended a name change to podcampaz this year, but it wasn't received well. Would love to know how it goes with you to see if I can get them to switch in the future.

Regardless of name recognition, PodcampAZ still seems to scare people off who want to learn more than podcasting.

Megan

Aug 14, 2010, 12:46:59 AM8/14/10
to newmediai...@googlegroups.com
I'm in Doug

tr...@theyesbook.net

Aug 14, 2010, 11:56:42 AM8/14/10
to newmediai...@googlegroups.com
Absolutely right Doug! I think there will be a lot more interest with the name Media Camp and putting in Video Sharing etc...

Desdemona Bandini

Aug 26, 2010, 10:44:38 PM8/26/10
to newmediai...@googlegroups.com
Happy to be of service if you need hands. :-)

Desdemona