Jan. Meetup #2 Followup

jnimety

Jan 17, 2013, 10:18:14 AM1/17/13
to newha...@googlegroups.com
Hi all.  We had another great meetup yesterday at Geronimo, thanks to everyone who came!  For those that missed the announcement please make sure you're a member of NewHaven.rb on our meetup page http://www.meetup.com/newhavenrb/, sometimes we forget to cross-post the announcements to this list.

Before I get into the details about last night I'd like to remind everyone that February Hack Night #1 will include a very special guest speaker Zachary Scott (@_zzak).  Zach is a Ruby MRI committer and a contributor to sinatra, rack and rdoc.

As I said, last night was great.  We had 8 people total and aside from the regulars, Jono and Phuc were back.  We had a new face, Rich Bruchal, who is an IOS developer on a mission to learn web technologies.  I spent some time talking to Jono and Rich about resources for learning ruby, rails and associated technologies like html, css and javascript.  We also talked about long term maintainability of software projects. It was interesting to hear Jono's (.Net) and Rich's (IOS/Objective C) perspectives; mostly that they have the same issues that have been plaguing the rails community in recent years.

We also had some visitors from Whiteboard/Study Hall/Hack Haven stop by for a few minutes (thanks to Rich) and we talked about having a co-meetup with them at the Grove, maybe for the 1st meetup in March.

We also talked about sexism in the software industry, Ruby Motion, guitars and a bunch of other things.  All-in-all it was a great time.  Thanks everyone! -- Joel

Tim McHugh

Jan 17, 2013, 4:57:33 PM1/17/13
to newha...@googlegroups.com
Hey Joel,

Great to see you guys last night! I am sorry for the late response as we try to organize for the new year... However, we (AKA Whiteboard Software Devs) are hosting StudyHall@The Grove Thursdays except for (typically) the third Thursday of each month. Every third Thursday there there will be a LaunchHaven event also @The Grove.

StudyHall is simply a time for software developers to get together and create community in the greater New Haven area. You may want some quiet space to work on a project or learn a new language weekly or a place to meet with others and discuss ideas. We are open and have space to evolve as needed.... I would love to have a mix of seasoned developers and people who are interested in starting to develop mixing, thus creating a culture around development and transferring tribal knowledge. However, if you are interested in bringing your own ideas to StudyHall to make it something different and unique come down and discuss.

I posted a StudyHall for tonight... Feel free to come by and say hello or simply sit down and work... Also, let's try to host a Ruby meetup@The Grove!

Best Regards,

-Tim McHugh

Dan Bernier

Jan 22, 2013, 8:53:47 PM1/22/13
to newha...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for sending this out! Great idea.

Also, I really like Tim's idea about hosting a NH.rb meetup at The
Grove - what do you think?

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 10:18 AM, jnimety <jni...@gmail.com> wrote:
--
twitter @danbernier