Parallel programming with JRuby

Rich Wandell

Dec 21, 2012, 7:10:01 PM12/21/12
to newha...@googlegroups.com
Do we have any group members with good resources and tutorials using JRuby for parallel programming?

I've been spending some time recently looking into both Jython and JRuby for this specific trait due to the need for parallel image processing for a project I am working on.

Also while were on the topic I was able to find this slide share with a few good slides on gpu computing using ruby.

Do we have any members who have played around with gpu computing in ruby and wan't to share their experiences, blog post, or general wisdom of gpu computing with ruby...   with me

Dan Bernier

Dec 27, 2012, 11:38:57 AM12/27/12
to newha...@googlegroups.com
I haven't played much with jruby, beyond ruby-processing. (I'd love to hear more about your parallel image processing project!)

Paul Novak

Jan 10, 2013, 10:16:47 AM1/10/13
to newha...@googlegroups.com
+1 on hearing more about your image processing project.

Why JRuby?  You can deal more directly with the GPU with something like OpenCL, see Andres Klockner's description of using GPU's from Python with OpenCL http://vimeo.com/53052481 One of his key points is that using a dynamic language such as Python (or Ruby) for GPU code generation and glue to is powerful sauce.

Dan Bernier

Jan 10, 2013, 10:25:42 AM1/10/13
to newha...@googlegroups.com
Interesting! I know very little of OpenCL or working with GPUs. I
think I'll like this...

Joel Nimety

Jan 17, 2013, 5:27:52 PM1/17/13
to newha...@googlegroups.com