Good article on group collaboration

TØny Hine

Jul 29, 2017, 6:33:37 AM7/29/17
to Newbury Hackspace (NADHack)
I, like most IT professionals forget that most people are not comfortable with IT...

This article explains the issues quite well...

“No Matter How We Try in #walkmyworld We Return to Google Apps to GTD” @jgmac1106 https://medium.com/alt-pub-explorations/no-matter-how-we-try-in-walkmyworld-we-return-to-google-apps-to-gtd-2bb32cc3db00

Ben Norris

Jul 29, 2017, 4:03:07 PM7/29/17
to Newbury Hackspace (NADHack)
Also bearing in mind that document or email based solutions are only familiar to those with *some* computing experience and of a certain age. Why you see intuitive apps on smartphones don't use these concepts at all. In fact most young people now don't use email at all and do everything through messaging apps.

The real lesson to this is that people like to use what they are familiar with but what *you* are familiar with is not what everyone else is.

Google groups (which as you know is essentially an email mailing list) for instance is something that a lot of hackspaces use and one that some people insist on, yet with Basingstoke Makerspace in trying to reach a wider audience we have seen a great reluctance from people to use it. We haven't come up with an answer to this yet.

Stuart Livings

Jul 29, 2017, 5:55:40 PM7/29/17
to newbury-...@googlegroups.com, Ben Norris

A quick note to readers:

We do use the Google Group for communication and announcements but most of the discussion occurs in the Slack channel.

If you don't have Slack, don't know what I'm talking about or just want to get involved do let us know and we'll send you an invitation.  You don't need to be a member.

I hope to see you all there!

Stuart