Retro-computing evening June 13th

Andrew

May 20, 2018, 10:28:36 AM5/20/18
to Newbury Hackspace (NADHack)
Date: 13th June 2018
Times: 7pm until 9pm or later!
Setup from 5:30pm

Enjoy an evening of retro computing with NADHack.

These will mainly be home computers and game consoles produced up until the 90's. This should be a fun, nostalgic evening trying out some of the old favourites including examples from Sinclair, Acorn, Commodore, DEC, Sega and others.

The event is free to attend and is open to all ages and interests.

Help us make this the largest display of old computers in West Berkshire.

We are on the look out for more working machines to join the event. Let us know if you have anything we may not already have access to.

Andrew

Andrew

May 20, 2018, 10:30:46 AM5/20/18
to Newbury Hackspace (NADHack)

Colin Deady

May 20, 2018, 10:46:36 AM5/20/18
to newbury-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Andrew
Looks like I am free that evening. Huzzah!

I will pull my Sun Ultra 5 out of the loft and see if it still works. If it does I'll bring it along.

I've also got a GlobalScale Dreamplug. Back when the Raspberry Pi didn't exist this was the nearest(ish) thing, even though it did cost five times the price.

I can also bring along a 2010ish Netbook running Raspbian x86. While relatively recent it shows as a good example of the usability of old and low spec kit with a modern low-requirement OS.

Sadly I am long since Amigaless *sniff/sob*. Hope someone is able to bring along a miggy.

Regards
-Colin

Andrew

Jun 13, 2018, 4:39:40 AM6/13/18
to Newbury Hackspace (NADHack)
The list of computers turning up is growing daily! This should be a fun evening.

We have working and non-working examples. If you want to play Manic Miner on a ZX Spectrum then this is the place to be!

See you there.

Andrew

Colin Deady

Jun 13, 2018, 4:49:00 AM6/13/18
to 'Stuart Livings' via Newbury Hackspace (NADHack)
Hi Andrew

Sadly my Sun Ultra 5 is refusing to boot. Apparently storing it in the loft for five years is not the way to keep the NVRAM battery working. Sadly, the battery is baked into silicon and only a hacksaw or an eBay purchase will fix it.
Plus, I've forgotten my firmware password (ultimate sin, that). Hence I can't manually poke it with the variables it needs on boot.

I'll bring it along, but it's essentially going to be booted at a rather important looking Sun error screen. Still, there's an interesting story to tell about the Ultra 5: it was the computer that almost sunk Sun Microsystems because it was too good (more on why when I'm there this evening).

Regards
-Colin