Volunteer vs paid labor

1 view

Bren

Dec 10, 2009, 1:49:36 PM12/10/09
to Newberg Coop Market
Enough folks have mentioned this that it seemed worth posting a note
about it. I'm envisioning a paid workforce, as opposed to a volunteer
workforce at the store. A volunteer workforce sounds like a manager's
scheduling nightmare, plus it seems important to be able to add living
wage jobs to the local economy. There may be a place for volunteer
labor. For instance, it could be one way of improving local food
accessibility to lower income families.

Of course my vision isn't "The Vision." If this thing gets off the
ground, it'll be built by many hands. Ultimately it'll be our
organizing committee and membership that decides questions like this.

The idea of a paid workforce will make some folks question how high
prices will be at the store. I don't assume anything other than fair
market prices. Of course, fair market prices for locally grown food
may actually be higher than prices for similar industrially produced
food. If this doesn't make sense to you, take 20 minutes and watch The
Story of Stuff (http://storyofstuff.com/). It's a great overview of
industrial systems, and the hidden costs therein.

Corey Beals

Jan 20, 2010, 4:27:36 PM1/20/10
to Newberg Coop Market
I agree, and think that gives a level of stability to it that will be
worth the slight increase in prices. And I also agree that it is
adding living wages to the local economy.