Article in FoodDay

Bren

Jan 26, 2010, 4:53:39 PM1/26/10
to Newberg Coop Market
Good article in today's FoodDay on 'conscious carnivores' and eating

This was sent over to me by Sarah King. Some of you know Sarah--she
works in Enrollment Services at GFU. She and her husband run a
boutique butchery/bbq/something-or-other. Anyway, if you're in the
Newberg area, and you're on the prowl for locally grown meat, you
might give Sarah a shout. She's on this list...Sarah, could you add a
note about how best to contact you?

Sarah

Jan 26, 2010, 8:07:57 PM1/26/10
to Newberg Coop Market
Boutique for certain! Please feel free to contact me at
spektru...@gmail.com at any time.

On Jan 26, 1:53 pm, Bren <brendon.conne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Good article in today's FoodDay on 'conscious carnivores' and eating

> local:http://www.oregonlive.com/foodday/index.ssf/2010/01/the_conscious_car...

Jenn Perez

Jan 27, 2010, 12:22:18 AM1/27/10
to Newberg Coop Market
We've bought local meat twice in the past year. The beef was
butchered at Buckley's in Newberg, and the pork at Rite-Way in
Dundee. I've been curious about (and this article reminded me to look
into) whether either place would allow observation, not that I want
to, just thought it might be a good idea. Does anyone know their
policies?

On Jan 26, 1:53 pm, Bren <brendon.conne...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Good article in today's FoodDay on 'conscious carnivores' and eating

> local:http://www.oregonlive.com/foodday/index.ssf/2010/01/the_conscious_car...

Sarah

Jan 27, 2010, 4:14:30 PM1/27/10
to Newberg Coop Market
I don't know the specific policies for each of the butchers you
mentioned below. I work closely with Carlton Farms and my husband and
one of our food/restaurant partners have been allowed to take a tour
of the facility including the kill floor. I can ask if that is
something that is an exception to the rule but I my guess is that
people don't often ask. Someone you might consider talking with is
Chrissie at Kookolan Farms, I'm guessing she would be open for touring
and demonstration or custom kill as it would be referred to.

Melinda Westervelt

Jan 27, 2010, 1:18:00 PM1/27/10
to newber...@googlegroups.com
I don't know their policies, but when we received our pork that was butchered at Rite-Way, I was wishing that there were more choices regarding cuts of meat.  I like the idea from the article of being able to get several small hams instead of one or two huge ones, especially since there are only two of us!

Didn't know Sarah had a boutique butcher shop-- thanks for letting us know!

Also, we ordered half a lamb from Kookoolan farms last year (they were at the food meet), and we love it!  I think they might butcher the lamb on the farm, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Aaron

Feb 4, 2010, 2:45:52 PM2/4/10
to Newberg Coop Market
Yes, Kookoolan is very open, and they will even let you learn to
process chickens, if you want to be out there by 4am :)