national hero

Joe Light

Jul 4, 2013, 8:37:30 AM7/4/13
to newa...@googlegroups.com
     Yesterday, I was working a shift in circulation at the East Lyme Public Library. I was helping a woman register for a new library card. She had recently moved from Ecuador. I've read that Jefferson Perez is a national hero, so to put it to the test, I asked her if she had heard of him. She immediately lit up--not only had she heard of him, but they were neighbors in Ecuador and attended the same church!
     One of the highlights in my 20 years of race walking was being in a 20k race with Perez in Virginia in 2001, after he had won his Olympic gold medal.
He blew by me at least 3 times over the 2k loop. His form was beautiful to watch. He attended the post-race party at a pizza restaurant. It was a thrill to be in a room with an international champion and a national hero!

O'Rourke, Edward

Jul 4, 2013, 10:48:00 PM7/4/13
to <newalkers@googlegroups.com>, newa...@googlegroups.com
What a great story. Perez is a super star there.

Sent from my iPhone

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE The information in this transmittal (including attachments, if any) may be privileged and confidential and is intended only for the recipient(s) listed above. Any review, use, disclosure, distribution or copying of this transmittal, in any form, is prohibited except by or on behalf of the intended recipient. If you have received this transmittal in error, please notify me immediately by reply email and destroy all copies of the transmittal.

Thomas Knatt

Jul 7, 2013, 7:53:21 PM7/7/13
to newa...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joe,
Justin asked me to contact people for the various volunteer activities related to the Can-Am junior meet in Boston on August 4.  Are you available to contact possible judges and secure a team of judges?  We are hoping that you can do this, since you did such a good job last time in 2011.

I will be available to judge, although I need to recertify.  Do you happen to have a copy of the 2012 rule book--the one that is required to be used for the test?  They took it off the internet, and it seems foolish to spend money on an outdated copy just for recertification.

Keep cool in this weather!
Tom

Thomas Knatt
687 Townsend Road
Groton MA 01450
978-448-9663
luth...@alum.mit.edu
thoma...@yahoo.com
French House Rental
Go to: www.homeaway.com
then type 109740 in search for vacation rentals box
Jul 8, 2013, 7:46:23 AM7/8/13
to newa...@googlegroups.com
Tom,
Thanks for thinking of me. I'd be happy to do this, however, I too have not recertified and I really wasn't planning to.
I've been very happy the past year volunteering at middle school track meets and the local Hershey meet.
Still, I can round up judges and will most likely come up to help at the event (unless I'm allowed to judge without
current certification.)  Are we offering a stipend for judges? If so, can we base it on distance traveled, e.g. 25 cents per mile?
We had 6 judges for the 2011 event. That seemed to be adequate.

The link to the event on the USATF-NE page brings me to the NEW web site, but there seems to be nothing there. I'll need to have
a schedule, map, etc. before I start contacting potential judges.  Thanks.

Joe

On Jul 7, 2013, at 7:53 PM, Thomas Knatt wrote:

[...]

Justin Kuo

Jul 8, 2013, 8:44:39 AM7/8/13
to newa...@googlegroups.com
Joe,

You can use the 2011 schedule for planning for the Aug 4, 2013 event.

http://newalkers.com/2011/07/14/canam/

Thank you. --  Justin

Bill Harriman

Jul 8, 2013, 7:20:08 PM7/8/13
to newa...@googlegroups.com, newa...@googlegroups.com
I will take the job of recorder/DQ board. I have done it before so I know what to do.

Bill H.

Joe Light

Jul 10, 2013, 8:13:47 AM7/10/13
to newa...@googlegroups.com
2 questions (probably Steve can answer these):

In a pinch, can we use a judge who does not have current certification?

Can we offer a stipend to judges? (I think we got something last time, but can't recall for sure)

Joe

On Jul 8, 2013, at 8:44 AM, Justin Kuo wrote:

Joe,

You can use the 2011 schedule for planning for the Aug 4, 2013 event.

http://newalkers.com/2011/07/14/canam/

Thank you. --  Justin

Thomas Knatt

Jul 10, 2013, 9:47:40 AM7/10/13
to newa...@googlegroups.com
Joe,
I didn't receive a stipend last time.  A stipend usually does ensure better quality judging.